Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lauren
Beginner April 2022 Devon

How long is the ideal engagement???

Lauren, 28 of October of 2020 at 21:49 Posted on Planning 1 8
Hiya everyone,
Just wondering what length of engagement is best really?
I was thinking to possibly think about 2024 because I want to avoid COVID as much as possible (also hate the sound of 2023, really don’t like odd numbers?)Would you say 4 years was too long?Also is there anything I could start planning as I’m sooooo excited!!!!??⭐️?

8 replies

Latest activity by Emmafrench_94, 11 of November of 2020 at 23:29
  • R
    Dedicated September 2021 Essex
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! Congratulations on your engagement, exciting times ahead!

I'd say it can be whatever you want it to be. I know that's ambiguous but it's true!
    I became engaged in August and had wanted to marry as soon as possible really but my OH is completing his final year of med school so we needed to wait, hence arranging for December 2021. It's practical for us BUT I'm super impatient and just want to do it now! I definitely wouldn't want to wait for more than I am (a year and a bit).
    However if you're chill and have other factors at play such as finances etc, take your time and enjoy the planning and lead-up.
    Good luck!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The ideal engagement length is the length that works for you. I have one friend who got married 6 weeks after getting engaged! (Her OH was being posted abroad and they wanted to get married first). I got married 9 months after getting engaged - should have been earlier but Covid intervened. Most people I know seem to have engagements between 1 and 2 years, but if a longer one works for you, why not?

• Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I know of a lot of variations between people!! It seems to be just whatever they want. Personally, if we hadn't been in the whole lockdown and Covid situation, I probably would have wanted to do it within 6 months, but as it is we are having an 18 month engagement. There is no way I could have waited 4 years!! But if that's what you want, just go for it Smiley smile

• April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    We are having a 7month engagement. Would have had a year but with covid didn’t want to risk autumn 2021 and extending beyond a year was out of the question (I’ll be 34 on our wedding day). Upside we have a great venue in Marylebone that we might not have afforded had it not been for covid. Now just keeping everything crossed restrictions lift ????.
    Whatever works for you both is the ideal.
  • Lauren
    Lauren ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!! I’m exactly the same, I’m so inpatient but my partner is in no rush just yet as we have other stuff that will come before it, like moving to a bigger home!!
    Congratulations to you, hope all goes well with planning!!!
  • E
    Beginner March 2024 Durham
    Emmafrench_94 ·
    • Hide content
    Hi!

Congratulations on your engagement?
    We have been engaged a year now and have opted to wait until 2024 for COVID also and because our 10 year anniversary lands on a Saturday that year so that worked for us! I was desperate to be engaged but as we dealt with the excitement and happiness surrounding that, we decided we were happy to wait until our special year ?
    Ultimately, I think it's whatever suits you! Good luck with the planning. I'd love to get in touch and be planning buddies as I've no idea where to start and most importantly, when with it being so far away! ❤
  • Lauren
    Lauren ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hiya!!
    Yes that was exactly my thoughts too!! Wow that’s such a lovely coincidence!! Congratulations ?
    It will be our 12 year anniversary in 2024!!Yes definitely, I would love that!! Need a planning buddy to get excited with!!❤️
  • E
    Beginner March 2024 Durham
    Emmafrench_94 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey!

I much prefer an even number also... ? then again, this year hasn't proven much luck so maybe 2023 is a better year ? Thank you! I still look at my ring and think wow, when did that get there?! Oh wow! You definitely need a special day and a party for that length of commitment ? Yess! I'm so up for this. My partner keeps reassuring me he's excited and wants to be married but has assured me as far as the finer details go, it's all on me ? he'd get married tomorrow as long as we both turn up but I want it to be a bit more special than that haha ❤

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics