Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bliss_balloons

How long is your commute to work?

bliss_balloons , 3 of June of 2014 at 13:43 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 60

Just wondering how long it takes everyone to get to work? We're house hunting at the moment and only have a small budget but if we move a little further away we can get so much more for our money (like double the house) but it would mean a 50 minute commute to work each way and I don't know if I can cope with that everyday.

60 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 4 of June of 2014 at 21:34
  • pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I am 60 miles a day which puts an hour onto my travel time. In summer it's okay, winter I could cry. It also puts lots of mileage on your car, cost me £200 a month for fuel. If I had a choice I wouldn't do it x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

5 minute walk - 35 minute train - 20 minute walk.

Before we moved here, we used to travel for about the same length of time, but it was in a car which makes it seems so much easier (not adhering to train timetables etc). However, once we moved and (knowing about the complete gridlock at rush hour), we've just got on with it. Being "forced" to do it means I don't waste any time getting annoyed at it, if you see what I mean?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I used to commute upto 65 miles each way to work at one point. At the time it was preferable to living away from home Monday - Friday.

I won't lie it did start to take its toll. I didn't even work particularly long hours but was out of the house from 7 til 7 really, When we moved it knocked 20 miles a day off so could be home a bit earlier and that was easier but again it was getting to the point where we couldn't really do anything in the evenings because I was so knackered!

I know some people do it with no problem but for me I am now glad I work 3 miles.

Another thing to consider is how much your fuel bill is going to increase by doing the extra miles and the additional maintenance on your car. Also, I knew working as far away as I did that in terms of us having children in the future it wouldn't really have been doable with the job I was doing. This obviously might not be something you want but just wanted to add it as another point to consider.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

It is also worth considering public transport options for wherever you are looking at, should your car be off the road.....

Peter

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

I'm so lucky. It's exactly 1 mile door to door for me along a really pretty footpath. 15 mins wandering time or if I'm running late a 9 minute jog or 3 minute drive. For the right job/home combination I have traveled 45 mins each way. I'm personally not willinv to add more than an hour and a half to my working day in travel time.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

A two minute walk! But I actually have to drive S about 3 minutes to nursery and about 5 minutes back (due to the one way system) so now it takes me about 15 minutes from leaving the house to get into work. I realise I'm quite on my own in this position!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Would love to live close to work just for the amount I'd save on petrol! I work in the opposite direction to OH so we could do with being somewhere in the middle but there's very few houses around at the moment and we're desperate to buy our first house and not live with parents anymore! We'll keep looking, I'm sure the right house will pop up eventually.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

Currently mine is 70 mins each way on a good day (literally a good day - as I can cycle to the train station) so cycle-train-tube-walk. If it's raining it can take me half an hour just to get to the train station (walk or bus) so 90 mins. Each way. Every day.

And it costs me £390 a month for the train/tube travel pass (buses are extra when I catch the bus). I hate it but needs must at the current time. If I lived closer to the station it would be more doable as I just read my kindle on the train/tube so its like extra me time. I know all the places to lean on the trains/tube so I can read without falling over (it took practice).

In some ways it depends on what commuting it is - 50 mins in a car on an easy drive can be ok. Heavy traffic can be harder. Car commuting is in some ways easier (about ten years ago my commute was a 2 hour car commute) as you aren't beholden to any transport company so you can come and go when you please.

As Peter pointed out take into account how you would get to work if your car was out of action or you wanted to go out from work for a drink.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

10 seconds (i work from home) but I have commuted 1hr15 and that was not good for my soul.

Personally I think it depends on your working hours. In my job overtime was normal which meant i was even later home than I would be with a set 9-5 and we started at 8 which made mornings in the winter a bit more painful. It was also a rubbish, very busy motorway journey so stressful with traffic etc too. These factors combined with the fact it wasn't my choice (the job moved) meant I was really unhappy.

If it was standard hours and a decent route I would travel for an hour each way for the right job/house combination but as others have said it will cost alot in travel and puts a scary amount of miles and wear and tear on your car.

pros and cons, I'd be tempted for a nicer house though.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Currently it's 16 miles - which takes 35-40 minutes by car. I totally hate it, I live in a total s.hole of a town which doesn't have a link to the motorway without going a long way first. I'd not mind that commute if I lived somewhere decent!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 5min walk, 20min tram journey, 5min walk. The tram service can be terrible, but when they're running well it's a very smooth journey. I allow an extra 10mins for my stop at Starbucks Smiley smile After I split from my ex I moved back in with my parents in Preston and commuted here for a year - it was an hour's coach journey, and the only coach left at 7am. It was awful - I was so tired all the time.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I used to do a 60 mile round trip for work, it was generally up the motorway so was at work in about 35 mins. However if there was ever an accident it took well over 2 hours.

Now though I wourk really close to home. 10 mins in the car, 20 mins to bike or 30 mins to walk depending on how I feel in the morn. I can nip home in my lunch break tho which I love (only 5 mins each way at lunch time).

I dont think I could do a long commute, I am already tired as it is from work without adding extra time on my day for travelling.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now the latter is a BIG house!!!!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

It takes me about 50 minutes in total (walk, tram, bus.) I lived a ten minute walk from work for about 8 years and then moved out to the 'burbs last year and was DREADING the journey - until I learned that I could take a flask of tea and my kindle! ❤️ Now sometimes in the morning I feel a little disappointed that the journey is over!!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Where H works normally (he can be anywhere in the world at the drop of a hat) its about 2 hours drive each way, which is why he stays in a hotel from Monday - Thurs and works from home on Friday. Just before we went on our hols he was in London (2 hours each way on the train) and South Africa (about an hour to the airport) and then 6 hours on the plane. Its an odd arrangement, but been like that since we got together and mostly works for us

• N
    Beginner June 2015
    nammy502 ·
    • Hide content

On a good day it takes me 70mins each way. Can take longer on the way home if i miss a train connection.

H2B has a 15min drive to work each way. He gets up 2 hours after me, and wonders why im ready for bed at 9pm on a friday night as im wiped out from the week! As im up so early a lay in on the weekend for me is half 7 to 8am whereas he wants more sleep!!!! Cant win!!

I only work in London so we can afford our lovely new house and still have nice luxuries, otherwise i would take an massive paycut and work 10mins from home!!

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lady Buffles is in the East Wing this morning.......?

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOVE THIS ^^^^^

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

My journey is approx 4-5 miles each way but takes up to half hour depending on traffic.

My friend used to commute from Reading to Southampton! She did it for about 2.5 years until she got a more local job

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I'm pretty lucky - it's a 4 minute drive, although in 18 days time it will be more like 15/20. But that's still not too bad. I'm not sure I would consider a 50 minute commute when looking for a new house, but it is different for everyone because as said already, in somewhere like London that's fairly normal.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Its about a 25 min walk but now we have to detour to nursery it 40 mins from my door to work door.

luckily traffic hasnt been too bad! is that 50 mins on a clear run?

A friend is having childcare issues so their son goes to one of his grannies 2 days a weeek which results in a 2.5 hour drive each way for his dad to get to work!

would drive me mad!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No that's with rush hour traffic, the rest of the time it's 30 mins. Thinking about it, it's a fairly easy drive and I work 9-5 so I'd be in by 6 most night. I'm just not a big fan of driving so it sounds like a long time to be in a car.

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

70 min walk, or 75 if i go to Starbucks! (each way)

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

30-45 minutes on an average day but has taken much longer when the traffic has been bad. I think you get used to it though and you start to enjoy having a bit of time to yourself just to sing your head off or listen to something sensible. If you can get public transport, even better because you get all the time to just sit and read (if you can get a seat).

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

By car on a good day it's 35 mins each way. With traffic it's 50 mins plus. It's been known to be an hour and a half before now.

If I have to take public transport it's 30 min walk - 35 min train - 15 min walk. So I tend to work at home if the car is out of action.

We moved to a small town purely because we could get a better house. The commute isn't that bad, but we are fairly lucky that we both work in the same office, and work 8-4:30 so tend to miss full on rush-hour.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's unless you are travel sick! I'm okay on the tram, but on a bus or in a car I feel sick if I look down at my phone. On the tram, I watch TV shows on my phone sometimes, or if I can't get a seat I listen to music or podcasts. I hate the whole trying to get a seat thing. I often find it hard to stand cos of my arthritis, but people are ruthless and dive into the seats so quickly. I'm not at the stage yet where I feel able to ask someone to give up a seat, cos I don't 'look disabled' (whatever that means).

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

H takes me most days and it's a 15 min car ride, if I get the train, 5 min walk, 10 min train, 15 min walk.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I don't use a stick yet. I suspect I will in the next few years, as I'm predicted to need a hip replacement at some point in the not too distant future. It has occured to me that using one might help...but I dunno if I'm psychologically ready Smiley smile (I know, I can't have it all ways.) I've seen people with crutches get on and nobody has given up a seat for them, which really irritates me. I think half the time people are just absorbed in their newspapers or phones...but still.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a minutes walk and about 13/14 minutes on a bus. Or a 3 mile walk if I'm up to it. I've lives in three different places and worked at the same place and it's always been roughly the same.

H is in a different place every day and can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours away at a time.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Hours....

15 min walk, 1hr (at best) on train, 20 min walk.

Usually 1hr 45 mins each way. At least I get to read on the train.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Mine varies between 5-15 minutes each day- I work in different places each day.

However I have done commutes as long as 90 minutes each way, for about 2 years.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

On the tube I've not seen so far many offer their seat to the elderly or disabled, although I have often seen seats offered to the ladies with 'baby on board' badges. I rarely get a seat as I get on and off at the busy stations at rush hour or I would give it up (she says feeling all virtuous). The most appalling one I saw was a young guy who hopped on (literally) with a leg missing below the knee and no crutches. Not one person got up to give him a seat. And I was giving the people sat down evils which normally turns people to stone but still they didn't budge. I was appalled for him but he didn't seem phased by it.

As a separate thing - maybe there should be a badge similar to the baby on board badges for people who could do with a seat who don't have canes or sticks or obvious ways of showing they need a seat? Or would that be similar to the psychology of a stick? Saying 'get up off yer lazy arse' or something - or maybe that wouldn't work outside Yorkshire.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics