Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsBoo
Beginner November 2014

How long to give guests to RSVP?

MrsBoo, 4 of May of 2014 at 16:33 Posted on Planning 0 12

Our final details meeting at the venue won't be until about 4 weeks before the wedding so the end of October but our invitations are going out the beginning of July.

How long are you all giving your guests to RSVP? OH reckons the end of September but that only gives me 1 month to get sorted before final details meeting. Also I was thinking of sending evening invites later incase we get any declines that we can bump up to the day.

Do you think the 30th Aug is too early to ask for RSVP's in?

By the sounds of it many guests don't take any notice of these dates anyway?

12 replies

Latest activity by Shamy, 5 of May of 2014 at 08:52
  • pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I am giving 2 months! Hoping that people get back to me but heard a lot about people who don't even bother to RSVP, grrrrrrrr!x

• C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

We gave our guests 1 month but that was mainly because our invitation lady is really busy and she could only get them to us mid March! We have to meet our venue this month and wedding not until August, so couldn't give guests any longer to reply. I think if you give people too long the fact they have to reply will slip their mind.

• Suzie88
    Beginner August 2014
    Suzie88 ·
    • Hide content

Bold statement: I think most guests could probably tell you on the day they receive the invitation whether they actually can attend or not. Obviously, there is a work 'proviso' to this statement though!

We gave our guests 3 months. Most of them told us that they could attend within week one and then actually replied in the week leading up to the deadline. (I don't get it, it is a deadline, not an aim!) The less time you give people, the quicker you will know! One month is more than adequate as far as I am concerned! Although, be aware than some people may not be able to respond within that time - for example, one of my friends has been in hospital for almost 2 months, and unsurprisingly, we are not expecting her to RSVP! (Although, I keep getting texts saying 'I am coming to your wedding, I promise the RSVP will be done as soon as I'm out!' - you would think all I did was bug her about it, but no, all I ever text about is to see how she is!) And the longer the time, the more likely people are to forget.

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

Most guests take no notice of RSVP date. I've realised etiquette is sadly lacking in today's society! 6 days to go and we're still chasing people up! Agh!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We sent ours out 4 months ago and have only had half back. I know people aren't as excited as we are but 4 months to tick a box?!

• MrsBoo
    Beginner November 2014
    MrsBoo ·
    • Hide content

I feel stressed just reading these and mine haven't even gone out yet!

We went to two weddings last year and I sent the RSVP the same day!

I think I will definitely go for 30th August deadline.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We only gave a month and it was absolutely fine, we got a lot back within a week or so but then a few we had to chase up. I think though that we'd have had to chase them up even if we'd given them three months. I think that if you keep it reasonably short then they're less likely to forget to reply!

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I haven't even sent mine out yet and it annoys me after reading these posts that people don't respond/take ages to respond, why??!! I am the kind of person that sends my RSVP back within a week. I am having a guest lust of people who are attending my wedding at the hotel, if they haven't RSVP and suddenly appear on the night then they won't get in. Doing this as we wouldn't have accounted for seats, wine for them etc........ x

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

My deadline is 30th June and I still get irritated on days when none arrive ?

Course if they don't RSVP, they get no food, so no skin off my nose really...

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

In my head I thought people should of RSVP's before the invertations even went out!! But hay that's just me!

I managed to get all my day RSVP's back around 4 months early, as I sent the invites out 6 month before to give guests as much notice as possible as we're getting married in the summer holiday.

Iv had around 20 evening ones back out of 50/60 but I really can't be dealing with chasing them up and we haven't hit our max so not going to stress over it (read: until about a week before and I'm worrying no one will turn up!!)

Just go with works best for you, if you need them back early to find replacements then do it Smiley smile

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

I (invite designer) normally recommend 2-4 weeks to chase up those who don't reply.

Or you could do as my friend did and a week before her deadline (and final meeting) went on Facebook and said 'no RSVP I'll assume your not coming!!' And then tagged those concerned!! It was hilarious!

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree with this. When the invitation lands you know with 95% certainty whether or not you can attend (or be bothered to attend!), and let's not forget a lot of the time there has also been a save the date (although we didn't do these).

You might need to check your diary/negotiate time off of work etc. but I think a month is a reasonable amount of time in which to do this. We gave our guests a month and about 25% still haven't RSVP'd, including one of the BM's, and two couples who we saw at a meal last night....I had to resist the urge to ask them where it was over the table Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics