Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner October 2009

How many bottles of wine per person shoudl I budget for at my wedding reception?

gemmatw, 31 of December of 2008 at 11:23 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi,

I am trying to work out how many bottles of wine per person I shoudl budget for at my wedding. Most of the venues I am looking at have a package that includes 3 glasses of bubbly and half a bottle of wine per person. Is that enough?

7 replies

Latest activity by tahdah, 31 of December of 2008 at 14:52
  • thefuturemrsclarke
    Beginner July 2010
    thefuturemrsclarke ·
    • Hide content

You will probably find it is, not everybody drinks wine so if the 1s that do will drink enough to amount for the 1s that wont. if that makes sense.

• Maxi
    Beginner February 2008
    Maxi ·
    • Hide content

Should be plenty.

We had a glass of champers for arrival, glass of champers for speeches and 1/2 bottle of wine per person (with jugs of orange juice for the non drinkers on each table).

People were still drinking from the wine bottles late into the night.

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

Should probably be about right. We provided a free bar (only wine, beer and soft drinks + champagne, no spirits) for the whole day & evening (our venue didn't have its own bar or charge corkage so we were able to do this). We had 120 to the day (about 5 children) and another 40 or so to the evening. I think we had something like 170 bottles of wine (half red, half white) and we ended up with about 30 bottles or so left over. Champagne...I think we had about 50-60 bottles and we have 1 left, in our fridge ready for tonight! The champagne was really flowing though, we probably could have gotten away with less if we'd needed to.

So I think it was about 1 bottle of wine per person - but that was for meal and evening, if you are only doing for meal then 1/2 bottle sounds about right.

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

Also I think our caterer said something like for the drinks reception (i.e. welcome drink) allow 1-2 drinks per person per hour of that part of the day. So if it's about 1 hr - 1 hr 30 long then 3 glasses of bubbly sounds perfect - 2 for then and 1 for the toasts.

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

We had enough Pimms for everyone to have 2 welcome drinks (plus non alcoholic fruit cup) and 1/2 bottle of wine excluding those we knew wouldn't have any (non drinkers, pregnant/breast feeding, drivers). We had water and OJ on tables as well. There was plenty, esp red, left over which we encouraged guests to drink in the evening as it was open and paid for!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

We are allowing a glass of Pimms per person for arrival drinks plus orange juice for those who don't drink or are driving

Half a bottle of wine per person for meal, and a glass of champagne per person for toasts

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

We are having bucks fizz for arrival drinks, about 2-3 glasses of wine per person with the meal and sparkling wine for toasts. I think thats enough TBH.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

With most restaurants (if they offer a set menu) they will usually allow 1/2 a bottle per person - which is about 2 glasses, I think that's plenty especially as some people don't drink it or will only have it with the meal then go onto spirits/lager after...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics