Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2011

how many is too many??

lisamarie85, 12 May, 2010 at 18:01 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi ladies

me and my man r getting in to the swing of this wedding planning thing now! we av started to book bits and pieces and thought it was about time to choose our bridesmaids and bestman/ushers

i have asked my sis, sis il2b and one of my best friends - making 3 bridesmaids

he has a best man and 2 ushers - again making 3 (i wanna keep them equal! me being a bit ocd mayb!)

but since we have asked them... there is something nagging at me to also ask my other close friend - it doesnt feel right having just one of my close friends without the other - and my other half now wants to also ask a lifelong school friend

i am just thinking,.... how many is too many?? we are having 80 day guests - for this number do you think a wedding party with 4 bridesmaids and 4 best men/ushers is too many??

how many r u girls had/ planning to have?

all opinions welcome........

thanks xxx

13 replies

Latest activity by Blackkat, 12 May, 2010 at 23:48
  • Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Are you having a church or civil ceremony? If it's a civil ceremony then you might not need as many ushers perhaps? I had 1 bridesmaid and there was the best man and one usher and I really don't think the usher could do very much.

• L
    Beginner September 2010
    lushgirlxx ·
    • Hide content

I am having 2 bridemaids a flower girl and a best man, as we're having a civil service we dont need any ushers, but i think 4 of each is ok. x

• L
    Beginner July 2011
    lisamarie85 ·
    • Hide content

It will be a church service

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Have as many as you want! It's your wedding. The only thing to bear in mind is costs for outfits and presents will add up the more you have.... I've been to weddings with 12 bridesmaids and I'm having none. Anything goes!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I personally think that you might be getting carried away but you can do what you want... what will 4 bridesmaids do? (Apart from increase your budget?)

I have my sister as BM and her daughter as my flowergirl.

H2B has his Best Man and we will have 2 ushers as the church is huge and they need to be in several places at once!

• Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I had two adult b/maids, a teenage one, two flowergirls and my son was a ring bearer/page boy. Hubby had a best man and four ushers and we had 80 to a civil ceremony.

I think you should have who you want and who you can afford to have.

I loved being able to involve so many of our close friends in the wedding party, though it did get quite pricey !!

Suze xx

• kenzie3
    Dedicated August 2023
    kenzie3 ·
    • Hide content

Im having 5bm 1 fg and 2pb, i think just go with whatever you want, you can never have too many x

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

I'm another one who's gone over the top on the wedding party. I'm having 4 bridesmaids, 3 ushers, 3 page boys and a flower girl . . . and I've only got 40 people coming during the day!!!

• Mrs_M_2b
    Beginner July 2012
    Mrs_M_2b ·
    • Hide content

it's your day you have as many as you want

i'm having 5 bridesmaids 2 flower girls ( my own little girls my oldest can't wait to dress like a princess with her mummy and wee sister for the day lol) 2 page boys a best man and we havn't decided on ushers yet but i think we are only having 2.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure my wedding party is bigger than my wedding! lol! Never mind! We have 25 people already booked to come out with us and another 15 people planning to book soon. So about 40 in total. We have 2 big bridesmaids, my little niece (4) who is my CBM! best man, and 2 ushers (one close friend and the other my brother). I drew the line at that. I could have picked more bridesmaids. I have no cousins as BMs and only friends that knew us both as a couple in the wedding party. We live over 100 miles from where I grew up so all my old friends are there still but barely know my OH. I'm also at uni which is 60 miles from my OH and 100 miles from my parents so he doesn't really know my uni friends. (I travel a lot!).

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

I think the size of the wedding party is entirely up to you, but do bear in mind the more people you have the more the cost goes up, think extra suit hire, extra dresses etc ...

Have you considered giving people other roles? Giving a reading is just as important and you don't have to buy an outfit (maybe just a buttonhole or corasage so they feel part of the wedding party), also same applies for witnesses.

Just because everyone else has I'm haveing 2 bridesmaids, OH is having a best man and 2 maybe 3 ushers (depends on family). we are then having readings by friends we wanted to include in the day.

• Welshthistle
    Welshthistle ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 4 bridesmaids and one very wee PB. I was the same - couldn't have one friend without the other as I'm equally close to the both of them, and the other 2 are sil2bs. I did think about asking another friend but decided to ask her to read instead, as that's a really important role too. Do what makes you happy!

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I have 6 bridesmaids and 3 pageboys! Wouldnt have it any other way..

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

I'm also having a very large wedding party, for various different reasons, having 6 bridesmaids, 6 best men/ushers, 2 flower girls and 2 page boys. Now wish I had chosen less but then I wouldn't have had who I wanted. Hope it'll all work out ok. Go with what you want

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics