Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner September 2015

How many of you are changing out of your wedding dress??

almostmrsStimpson , 26 of May of 2014 at 11:11 Posted on Planning 0 31

My FMIL gave me a pressie the other day which was lovely. It was a sparkly top in my wedding colour. She said when I changed out of my dress i could wear it and still be colour coordinated. Lovely thought, bless her but I was Horrified!

I was planning on wearing my dress all night, its such a lot of money to wear it for 3 hours and then change and look like every other person there.

Is that generally what happens, the bride changes outfit??

Pretty sure I'm never going to take it off....ever lol

31 replies

Latest activity by Sash87, 1 of June of 2014 at 17:35
  • MrsBoo
    Beginner November 2014
    MrsBoo ·
    • Hide content

Before I got my dress I was thinking how nice it would be to have a more dance floor friendly dress for the evening, but still very much a wedding dress just maybe a short one. Now I have my dress though I know I won't want to take it off for any other wedding dress let alone anything else.

Maybe you could wear the top for something else? Are you doing anything the night before or the day after the wedding?

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I thought about changing into a knee length/tea length dress for dancing but it would still be a wedding dress, not just normal clothes! ? In the end I think it is too much faff and expense so am just sticking to the same dress all night. I have never heard of the bride getting changed into civvies for the evening.

• A
    Beginner September 2015
    almostmrsStimpson ·
    • Hide content

I think maybe she's getting a bit confused and is thinking if sort of a 'going away' outfit.

Pretty set on staying in my dress til someone prises me out of it, the only thing I will be changing are my shoes....I have ordered custom converse for me and my bm's but wont be giving them those until the reception.

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

I think that's a very old fashioned thing...I think people used to change in to an evening outfit and go straight off on honeymoon while the party was still in full swing!

I'm planning on wearing my wedding dress all day, all night, sleeping in it and at breakfast the next day! Lol x

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

I will definitely not be changing out of my wedding dress! I've honestly never heard of that before, although I have seen videos where the bride has changed into a tea length wedding dress or perhaps if it's a culture fusion wedding, something that suits the different culture.

But no, I want to feel like a princess right up until I go to bed, and that means wearing my dress the whole time!

x

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Yeah when i was a kid i went to a couple of weddings where i remember the bride changing into normal clothes .... im in my 40s tho lol x

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

No way I'm changing out of mine - I love ti and want to get my money's worth!

• CsabaGrosz
    CsabaGrosz ·
    • Hide content

Hi There,
    When my sister got married she got changed before the evening party to a very stylish long red dress. She was still stunning as she choosen a very cool dress and she could rock on the dance floor all night without scratching or rip the Bride dress. Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner June 2014
    hannahgosney ·
    • Hide content

I'm not intending on changing out of mine. However it will look a bit different for the evening. I have a bit of a train on the dress and for the evening my seamstress is bustling it so there will be hidden poppers for my mum to hoot the dress to so it means people won't be tripping on it in the night.

For the day I'm wearing my dress strapless, however it comes with a really pretty hook on halter that has a gorgeous back to it. I'll get my mum to put this on me before the evening celebration:

http://www.sinceritybridal.com/wedding_dress/3679

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I too was horrified when one of my BMs asked what I was going to wear for the party....

...MY FLIPPING WEDDING DRESS!

No way am I changing out of that!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

Nope - I'm keeping that baby on all night!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I contemplated changing, as I'm a real dance-aholic and my dress just won't bustle out of the way. However, expense as always is putting the brakes on.

I want to do the first dance in "the" dress (and the veil btw) and greet all my evening guests wearing it etc, so actually I'd only be changing for a couple of hours' worth of boogieing so I may just have to use my fittings to find the best way of dancing!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I've been to far too many weddings to even count and I've only ever seen one bride change out of her dress. Annoyingly, this was when we were only evening guests, so we didn't even get to see the wedding dress!

At our wedding abroad, we had a meal the night before to which I wore a long white summery maxi dress, but white was the main colour and we had a brunch the next day to which I wore a white lacy mini dress. Could you wear your top to something like that?

At our home reception, I actually did sleep in my wedding dress!

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I won't be changing, there will be guests at the evening do that would love to see me in my wedding dress so i shall be wearing it all night and long into the morning when I collapse on the bed in a heap from tiredness.

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

I won't be. My friend did and although I understood her reasons (she was hot and sweaty and wanted to dance) I don't get it myself.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I definitely won't be changing out of mine!

Not willing to change out it when it's only worn one day as it is and for the expense I want my moneys worth haha.

If it becomes a pain in the arse for me to dance in tough tittie i'll just have to put up with it haha Smiley smile

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Change out of your dress? Are you nuts !!!

I got married a couple of days ago, and at 2.30am I was jumping up and down on my hotel bed like a trampoline, refusing to let my husband take it off me !!!

(video evidence exists.....)

?

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a chameleon... its long for the wedding/dinner and then shortens for practical reasons for the reception, I may change my accessories but no I would not wear something else especially 'street' clothes that I could wear on any night out you should feel special all day

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's exactly what happened to me.

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for not changing - my dress and I will not be parted. Maybe when I go to bed. Possibly not even then.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I've just been chatting to someone people about this and I'm a bit worried that the heavy beading might make my arms sore so I might have another just in case it needs to come off. I am the princess and the pea Smiley sad But I'm not going to think about it until I get my dress and can really get a feel for if this is likely to be a problem for me. If it looks like it might be then I'll get some beads removed and hope thar will work, again, if not, then I'll get a plainer dress to change into but only if absolutely necessary.

• N
    Beginner June 2014
    nemi ·
    • Hide content

I'm keeping mine on! No way I'm changing out of it!

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

HA! You'd have to prize mine out of my cold-dead fingers! ? My dress is going to be lush ?

Andrea de Gabriel

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am most definitely in this category! !!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Lol our evening reception is the weekend after we get married so I'm taking full advantage of getting to wear my dress twice!!

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsBuckleytoBe ·
    • Hide content

I can't wait to wear my dress and plan to wear it forever!! (until I stumble to bed on the wedding night at the very least ? )

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I would have agreed with you all totally, but a year before our wedding, my friend changed into a sun dress right at the end of the night.

I thought that was a bit of a shame, so bought a pretty ivory party dress "just in case" I needed it. I was convinced that I wouldn't need it, and certainly wanted my evening guests to see my wedding dress.

However, my bustle broke as we tried to tie it in the evening and at about 10.30 - after about 4 hours of solid dancing - I was absolutely baking! I was really glad that I had my back up dress, and I certainly didn't look like a regular guest due to ivory colour and tiara etc!

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can remember this happening at the first wedding I ever went to - I'm 28!

I am staying in my dress but my mum has a different outfit for the reception!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

OH loves my legs, and has hinted that he wants me to change into a shorter dress and show them off in the evening. I'm tempted - it'll mean I can dance easier, and it would give me a good excuse for buying some stunning stilettos...

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sash87 ·
    • Hide content

OH and I went to a wedding yesterday where the bride must have got a bit hacked off with her dress, come about half 9 she suddenly materialised in black joggers and a black vest. Think I will get myself a nice cream sundress in case I really cant wear my dress all day I dont want to wind up in joggers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics