Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2010

How many people to the sit down meal? and how many roughly are friends not family? and blackmail to invite people??

Karen1980, 9 June, 2009 at 06:49 Posted on Planning 0 11

How many people ahve you got coming to the sit down meal?

We're looking at 40 with that mostly friends and the have to family!!

My mum wants my auntie and uncle to come BUT I think its only cause they are going to kick off and give her grief.

I politely told my mum last night that since we were paying and our names were on the invites if my auntie has issues she should come to us not my parents.

We were looking at changing our venue as I was so worried what will be said about the day not being posh or XX's wedding reception was better.

When I got my head around only inviting her to the evening bit I felt relieved and that all the people coming to the meal wouldnt care what the reception looked like and that it wasnt a big fancy manor house or golf course. Its simple and something thats good for the budget.

Anyway mum went on to say in her day it was family that went and no friends. I pointed out as best I could that family were family and that friends were by choice! but i se i dont want to start a family war either!

11 replies

Latest activity by Stazzle, 10 June, 2009 at 09:27
  • delvesje
    Super November 2010
    delvesje ·
    • Hide content

This is your day, I guess you and h2b are paying for it too? Invite who you want. I have had the same conversation with my Mum. She wants all my little second cousin's ( her great grandchildren) to be invited.

As to you not having a mansion for your venue is not important. Its all to do with the vows you are making together. Your wedding is just one day, it's the marriage thats the important bit... As long as you and h2b are happy that is all that matters.

• kacaldwell
    Beginner
    kacaldwell ·
    • Hide content

Its your wedding! We are in the same boat. We are having 90 to a sit down meal only 10 of which being friends (5 couples) My OH's mum has been giving us grief about not inviting 1 of his aunts (with gooood reason not too) OH's aunt has been pushing on his mum to talk us round but hasnt the courage to come to us herself knowing full well why shes not invited!

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content

We have 120 in the day - 30 (including children) are family, the other 90 are friends. The (albeit some of them family friends that go way back but friends all the same).

Its about who you want to spend your day with not who you 'should' invite.

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

We are having 47 people in the day, 9 people are either our friends or family friends years gone by. There will also be 4 children which belong to friends. The rest will be family, we could not afford to have any more friends attend the day. So they have all been invited at night.

I had all the blackmail bit of my dad about my cousins, etc and other things. He would pay for them to come.... We kept saying no all we want is a small wedding. But now none of them are invited as we could not cope with the blackmail and other things which where happening any longer

x

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

We've got 60 for the day (including OH and myself). I have only got 6 friends coming to the day and OH doesn't have any "friends" coming for the day, his brothers, sisters and cousins are his closest friends and they're obviously coming anyway. (He has got some for the evening though bless him!) We've also invited 3 work colleagues as two are OH's business partners, and their partners. Everyone else coming to the day is family and we're using the evening invites for friends of the family and other not-so-close relatives.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

We have 90 guests. 80 adults, 10 children / babies. Mainly because we have minimum numbers to meet anyway.

This is mostly family but is only 'immediate'-ish family (brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins). Probably about 20 - 25 friends between us. Damn having big families!

• Keelz
    Beginner
    Keelz ·
    • Hide content

We are having 80 guests.

5 Children

45 Family members & the rest are friends.

• K
    Beginner July 2010
    kerryanneellis ·
    • Hide content

We have 60 to the wedding breakfast my OH has a massive immediate close family (120 at the last family get together) my family you can count on 2 hands. In the end the fairest way i decided was to split it up 20 guest made up of my family and close family friend, 20 my other halfs family and 20 of our friends. This recipe has served me i feel it is fair without being one sided and also means we have our friends as well as family we only see once a year. Everyone else will be invited to the evening doo .....

In terms of other family ie what about so and so and they invited us to their daughters wedding etc i have stuck to my guns and explained that i only see this person once a year or having only 60 guests i want to be surrounded by 60 people i know and that if it really means that much then feel free to invite them to the evening doo.

Hope this helps .........

• twf
    Beginner August 2009
    twf ·
    • Hide content

We are having 46, I think around 15 of them are friends, rest made up by family and then my mums oldest friends (who are my godparents) and my sisters inlaws

I am lucky that I have had no blackmail from my mum's side, if anything she tried to get me to cut back, tis the OH's side that gave me a list of about 20 people neither myself or Mr TWF had met!

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

90 people for the meal, at a guess I'd say 20 are our friends the rest are family or family friends. Of the 20, 10 are part of ,or the partners of, the wedding party. It's all friends in the evening though, plus some mroe family friends.

I had a similar problem with my mum wanting to invite a lot of relatives that I didn't even know the name of. After explaining to her how much each guest costs, even for the evening only, she backed down. I've offered y parents 6 invitations for the evening, and they've given them all to their friends - so that's how much the family invitations meant to them!

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

We have 95 on our day guest list (85 adults, 10 kids) - 34 of those are family the rest are friends. The guest list has been completely written by us - no input from anyone else. My dad did ask if I was inviting any of his & my step mum's friends which we aren't but I think it was more of a query than a suggestion. Though I have known these friends for quite a while we are by no means close - they probably don't know what my OH is called for example and we wouldn't exchange Xmas cards or received an engagement card from them.

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

We've got quite a big guest list as we both have pretty large families and close family friends (those that have been there since we were both young too), so we're having 120 to the day. We are paying for it ourselves, our parents are contributing but in other ways (my parents are paying for the evening reception drinks and are also buying my dress, and H2B's parents are paying for the flowers and cake).

The majority of our list is taken up by family and family friends, so overall I think it works out that H2B and I are inviting about 20 personal (i.e. not known through family) friends between us. I quite like it that way though as only my very close personal friends and family will be there in the day, everyone else is invited to the evening. I think in an ideal situation I would like our guest list to be smaller, say around 80 people for the day, but realistically it just wouldn't work with everyone we want to be there on each side.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics