Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner October 2011

How many sizes can a dress be taken in?

*clefairy*, 28 of October of 2010 at 09:34 Posted on Planning 1

Hi I'm new here and hope you ladies might be able to help.

I bought a sample dress that is a a size 14 as the lady in the dress shop assured me that it could be altered to a size 8 to fit me. Since buying the dress I've read that you can't take a dress in more than two sizes as you lose the shape and proportion of the dress. Do any of you know how much you can take a dress in?

• victoriamarie
    Beginner July 2011
    victoriamarie ·
    • Hide content

I believe it's 2 sizes, however if the dress maker has said she can do it then don't worry. Wedding dresses tend to run small anyway so it's probably more like a real-life 12.

I am also getting a size 14 altered to fit me and I'm an 8-10 bottom and 10-12 top.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry, just get a good dress maker. Brides on here in the past have had dresses taken in by about 5 sizes. All will be fine. If one dress makers says no, ask another. Plus, you may not be the size you think you are. Wedding dresses are weird sizes not normal shop sizes!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a sample dress and therefore has to be taken in its a 14 and I need it to be 8-10, the lady in the shop assured me it would fit like a glove, so I dont think they would have sold it to you knowing they couldnt take it in, Im sure it will be fine.

• COCOCHIQUITA1984
    Beginner
    COCOCHIQUITA1984 ·
    • Hide content

It depends on the style/material/detailing of the dress really - however generally you will find most dresses can be taken in more than 2 sizes - just be prepared to pay more in alteration costs, especially if the dress has intricate beading, embroidery or lace x

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Dont panic, my dress is being taken in 4 sizes and the dressmaker said itl be fine and wont lose the shape!!!just make sure u have a good dressmaker!

Beginner October 2011
    *clefairy* ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for your replies, I feel much better about it now. I'll try and flash a pic of the dress later.

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

If you have a good seamstress, then really as many sizes as you want, its irelevent.

But some styles of dress, might require a lot of alteration, hence extra costs.

But there is really is no limit.

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Yep as stated above if you have a good seamstress it should not be a problem, someone I know recently bought a size 14 dress and had it altered to a size 8 and it was fine.

• T
    Beginner May 2019
    Tink1990 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Clefairy,

This post is pretty old now, but I'm in the exact same situation (although haven't quite bought the dress yet and am wondering if I should...). How did the alterations go?

Thanks for your help!

• T
    Beginner May 2019
    Tink1990 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Clefairy,

This post is pretty old now, but I'm in the exact same situation (although haven't quite bought the dress yet and am wondering if I should...). How did the alterations go?

Thanks for your help!

• T
    Beginner May 2019
    Tink1990 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Clefairy,

Thanks for your help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics