Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

How many times have you been engaged?

*Mini*, 3 of May of 2013 at 20:43 Posted on Planning 0 70

Inspired by a conversation I had- is this your first time of being engaged? If so how far did you get with planning last time? Would you carry anything forwards from the last time or us this a totally different circumstance? Do you still have the ring?

-this is my second time. I had a silly teenage engagement at 17, we stayed together until we were 20 and started to look at venues before I decided I wanted to grow up a bit more.

I still have the ring- it's a yellow gold teeny tiny solitaire.i remember at the time being over the moon that it cost £200 Smiley smile

70 replies

Latest activity by gippdeer, 11 of May of 2013 at 17:47
  • venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Never, first time for me (and Ant, too, as far as I know).

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I too had a silly engagement at 17 needless to say nothing ever came of it we split when i was 18... I gave the ring back it was a yellow gold eternity ring and from what his brother told me last year he gave my old engagement ring to his new partner.

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

First time for me, and I was about to say for OH too but then remembered he was 'engaged' before. I say this loosely as I'm pretty sure she proposed and they were drunk lol.

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

First for both of us too! Looking forward to reading the replies though Smiley smile

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Very interesting topic!!! It's the first engagement for me. and hopefully the only one! ?

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

First time for me been with H 15 years. He did get me a ring at 16 as a promise to get engaged when we were older, does that count?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hopefully this one will be the first and last!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No way! Did she know it was recycled?

should add that mrmini was also engaged to the mother of his children do at least we are in the same boat as it were.

was it the craze to get engaged at 16/17 for you? At my college there was a spate if teenage engagements- none of them lasted!

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

Second time for me.

I too had a silly engagement at 17, we didn't do any planning for a few years. We eventually got down to planning everything and 6 days before the wedding I got a visit....from his other girlfriend. I actually feel embarrassed telling this haha and I really dislike the fact I have been engaged before and planned another wedding. It was a completely different wedding (8 people were going) and a completely different relationship.

So glad she knocked on the door Smiley laugh

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

First time officially for me although it was discussed with my ex... Only in a stupid 17 year old way!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't feel embarrassed! What a twunt, bet you are do glad she told you.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

2nd time for me. Everything was booked. We called it off 6 weeks before the wedding because everything had spiraled thanks to pushy parents and none of it was what we wanted. We were 21, we stayed together for another 2 years and then just grew apart really. No big drama. I do still have my ring and I don't intend to part with it. There are some nice memories attached to it. £99 yellow gold diamond solitaire the size of a pinhead and I love it,

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

Only engagement for me, I asked him out when we were in year 11 at school (we were 16). And we've been together ever since. He proposed 5 years later on the beach when we stayed in a B&B overnight and spent the day at our favourite seaside - Wells-next-the-sea in Norfolk. 5 years later we have our own house and hopefully 6 years later in 2014 we'll be husband and wife.

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think she did, I certainly never told her.

There was a very big craze to get engaged at my college. Out of about 30 people i know that got engaged that year only two of them are still with their partner one is still unmarried and the other got married 3 years ago and now has a 1 year old baby girl.

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't feel embarrassed sharing it hun, just be very very glad you escaped being married to a cheat x

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

I am very very glad, especially when I bumped into him last month. He's about 20 stone heavier and looked like a giant grease ball. Made me smile, very smugly!

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love bumping into EXs and they look like ***, makes you feel top of the world ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this!

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

My first time, OH has been married before so has been engage before too.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Only this one for me.

Though when I dumped my ex I did discover that he was saving up for an engagement ring. ?

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Second engagement and second wedding. The last one lasted 20 years but I have high hopes that this one's a keeper!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

This is my only engagement... I do have a 'friend' that has got engaged to every guy she ever dated (must have be like 8 guys) I think she likes collecting rings....she finally married one of them though.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I'm a little surprised at the number of engagements at 17, actually! I don't think I knew anyone who got engaged that young. Maybe it's more common over here, though? Actually, I'm the first of my close friends to get married, and I'll be 29 by the time I say 'I do.' I know I've had acquaintances who've gotten married younger, but none as teenagers. Who knows, though, maybe there were some silly teenage engagements that just didn't get publicised?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Never been 'engaged' previously, barely 'engaged' for this marriage. We were 'engaged', de facto, on the day we booked the venue.

Don't really get the whole thing.

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    Jader123 ·
    • Hide content

This is the first for both of us and been together 7 years.

Been together since I was 15 and were engaged when I was 18. Hoping this is the only one lol Smiley smile

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It wasn't very common where I grew up either. There was one couple who got engaged in 6th form, but they split up shortly after leaving school - he was a total dick. And there was one girl who I used to do Rangers with (like Girl Guides only older), who got married at 18, and she's still with her husband. Didn't know of any others.

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

I was engaged as a teenager; we were within weeks of the wedding when my partner contracted an unusual infectious disease. It came out that she had caught it from sleeping with someone who had recently visited an area where it's endemic. Needless to say, that was the end of that.

I was rather dramatic and threw my ring into the sea from a cliff. It didn't cost much and was nothing special, and god, throwing it felt fantastic.

My poor partner was, until she met me, so terrified of commitment that she couldn't even attend someone else's wedding without breaking out in a cold sweat. Her ex tried to coax her into marriage but she was not for having it in the least. Then I show up and she's practically racing down the aisle, hooray!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

It's the first time for me but my OH has been 'sort of' engaged before. I didn't find out until after we'd moved in together (I knew he had an ex though)

It was thanks to my Gran (who loves to gossip) she managed to get onto the subject of how awful his ex and her mother were and said how they had got engaged but then she'd cheated on him! It took me weeks to build up the courage to ask OH if he had been engaged to his ex. He said 'sort of' to which I said he either was engaged or he wasn't. He said 'well I suppose then I technically was, but it wasn't a proper one' I'm ashamed to say I cried myself to sleep - partly because of the shock of this 'secret' and partly because it felt like he had loved someone else so much he had got engaged.

A while later we had a proper talk and it turns out it was his ex and her mothers idea to get engaged, he kind of went along with it (due to things I don't want to discuss, he felt that no-one else would love him and he should be grateful for what he had) He never mentioned it because he never saw it as a proper engagement and it wasn't that important. She cheated on him and used up most of his money - so it didn't really work out in the end.

Which is good for me ?

• Rosco298
    Beginner February 2014
    Rosco298 ·
    • Hide content

Ah DM-2-B I feel for you. It's my first and any engagement. I'm fairly/very cynical so I'm not doing this again. But my OH who is much kinder than me has been engaged before sort of it was a mix of a stupid 17 yr old thing and his ex's idea. I was a bit upset when I found out but I think I was having a bit of a moment. However it does still make it number 2 for him.

• Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

It's my third. I was married before (when I was 19, back in 2005). I was a bit messed up after my divorce and got engaged to a guy I was seeing because I thought it would make things "stable" again. It didn't. I don't really count that one though, I didn't love him and I didn't want to be married at all!

This time feels like most real - it's not teenage, it's not because I want a wedding. It's because I love him so much, I want to spend the rest of my life with him and while I would be perfectly happy sloping off to the registry office I feel that a love like this deserves celebration :-)

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

First time for both me and OH Smiley smile

we've been together since he was 16 and I had just turned 18. We had our first kiss at my 18th birthday party and he proposed at my 21st party Smiley smile both times were in fancy dress which I never realised until now!

hopefully the only one for us both Smiley smile x

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Neither of us had been engaged before so number one for both of us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics