Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Twists
Beginner September 2011

How many to cater for?

Twists, 11 August, 2011 at 23:48 Posted on Planning 0 14

Our daytime "do" only consists of 10 people (inclusive of me and H2B!) so am wondering how many to actually cater for on evening reception? We are having around 80 people in total, inclusive of the 10 bridal party. So, do I cater for 80 on the buffet, bearing in mind that they wouldn't have had the wedding breakfast, or should I cut the numbers down a bit to maybe cater for 60?

14 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 12 August, 2011 at 11:17
  • nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I have just catered for everyone who will attend the evening do including the ones who will have had a meal earlier on. Our meal starts at four and the buffet will not be till 9pm.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

You may not necessarily have a choice, our venue states that we have to cater for a minimum of 75% of people that will be there in the evening (not just evening only guests).

• Twists
    Beginner September 2011
    Twists ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. AJ, we dont have a minimum requirement, our reception is in a hall and we are using outside caterers so its up to us really. I'm thinking maybe 70% so it doesnt look too stingy?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I catered for 70% and there was still food leftover. Remember that the day guests would have already eaten so will probably just pick at the evening buffet.

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content

But they're not exactly going to count them through the door are they? If you tell them 80 people are coming and they cater for 60, if you actually have 85 or 90, they are never going to know!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They will by the number of places set out, due to the way our day is planned each person will need a glass at the very least for toasting during the speeches.

I will check with them though because if we can even just save another £100 it will help.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We may have told our venue a little fib regarding the number of evening guests.?

FWIW we catered for 75% and still had loads of food left over!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We had an evening buffet for 75% of our day guests included in our package. That worked out to be 49 heads.

We had additional evening guests, bringing the total to over 100 but we did not increase the food. There was still some left over.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

IMO because you are only having small numbers in the day I would cater for 100% of the guests. I know when I have been invited to evening receptions in the past I tend to save myself for the buffet and then anticipate it being served then I eat tons.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Just had a look at the wedding brochure again for our venue, it says "Please note we cater for a minimum of 75% of guests attending the evening function."

Now, does that mean 75% of everyone at the evening, or 75% of the evening only and not those who were there in the afternoon?

Because 75% of 60 or 75% of 120 could save us a fair chunk of change.

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In contrast, our evening reception is going to be fairly informal, I am not expecting everyone to arrive at a set time, I am not expecting all the day guests to stay late (several are elderly) and we expect there to be quite a lot of milling around between the music, bar, courtyard (if weather permits), and the buffet area. There is no point where everyone will be seated together, or be toasting together. We saved money on our buffet by designing our own menu, with the main purpose of getting the food we actually like, but when it was priced up it turned out cheaper than most of the set options. Generally if you are providing the type of food that requires eating with cutlery your venue will need a realistic headcount, as people will not want to share their forks!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd assume they mean 75% of everyone who will be attending the evening function eg 75% of the guests who will be physically at the evening do

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would take that as 75% of all guests present in the evening (so including those who have been there all day).

We we planning on lying to our venue in the beginning about the numbers for the evening if they insisited on us catering for the evening guests but as it happens we manage to convince them that we didn't need to cater!

You won't be able to tell a porky though AJ as you are seating everyone.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics