Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H

How many venues did you view before you booked?

HW7, 18 April, 2013 at 19:31 Posted on Planning 0 25

We have been to see one venue so far, OH is completely convinced that we should get married there and will not listen to anything I have to say about viewing any other venues. I don't feel as strongly as he does, I do like it but I want to see a few of the other venues on our list in case they are better. OH is adamant that there is no point in viewing any more venues and thinks that plenty of couples book the first venue they see. I wasn't expecting him to be so enthusiastic, so I don't want to discourage him from further enthusiasm but I don't want to make a mistake with something so important.

So I'd like to know how many people did the same as my OH wants to do, or what seems to be the most common number of venues to view. Thanks.

25 replies

Latest activity by MOMB, 19 April, 2013 at 10:06
  • S
    Beginner April 2014
    Sooperdooper ·
    • Hide content

We had brochures for pretty much all of the venues that we liked the look of, then looked at the 3 we liked best. Then went back and had a second look at 2 of them, before booking the one we liked best.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We booked the first place we visited, with no other options lined up. We had a VERY strong idea about the type of venue/look we wanted.

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

We saw 3, after the first one I was convinced I wanted it! OH made me go see two more and I'm sooooooooooo glad he did because our reception is venue number 2 we saw! I love it!

If he is that convinced (as I was) what's the harm in looking at more ... That's how my OH sold it to me! Good luck

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

We only viewed two ourselves, others on our list we had been to previous weddings at but these two we'd never been to. The first one we liked but it didn't really suit our needs, the second one we didn't view until nearly 6 months later, by which time we had some pretty firm ideas of what we wanted from a venue, it ticked all the boxes so we booked it straight away.

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

We viewed two venues in the same day. We booked the second one. The first venue I liked and thought maybe, but the second one we just knew it was the place for us.

i don't regret that we didn't see anymore venues. Maybe go back for another look around and see how you feel then. I'm sure your oh would understand if you went back before booking.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think it was about 8-12 venues we viewed in total although in the end it was actually the first venue we viewed that we booked, I am glad we viewed teh other venues as I now know we 100% made the right decision with no venue wobbles!

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

We saw 2 - first place was booked up for our date otherwise we would have probably booked there... You definitely both have to be "feeling it" though - if one of us wasn't happy, I would have carried on looking.

ETA - when are you planning on getting wed? We booked our venue over 2 years in advance so wouldn't have minded looking more, if it was only a matter of 6 months I think I might have been a bit more hasty.

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    Limpy loo ·
    • Hide content

We booked our third venue. The first two we liked but just weren't totally 'feeling it' we were grinning at each other like idiots when we went to the last place!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

We went to see 3 venues after extensive online research. The venue we booked was my favourite before we'd even set foot on the grounds, and it was due to be our first appointment, but the car battery dying changed that and we went to penshurst place first instead. I was still dying to get round to Hever, though, and once I'd seen it I was convinced and did not want to bother with looking anywhere else. Ant convinced me that we needed to see one more place just to be sure about Hever, and so we went to Chartwell and that was that - I had Hever in the bag Smiley smile

If you're not as sure about the venue as he is, tell him you want to see a couple other options just to feel more secure in your decision to book the place he loves.

• chocolategirl
    Beginner August 2013
    chocolategirl ·
    • Hide content

Just worked out it was 11! Thoroughly fed up and couldn't believe we'd ever find the one by venue 8, 9 and 10!

• Missmadgiggles
    Beginner August 2013
    Missmadgiggles ·
    • Hide content

We booked the only place we looked at... had known for a long time we wanted to get married there ?

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

We saw 15-20. Turns out I was super-fussy with venues, and that was combined with extensive online prior research.

If you are not 100% sure, you and h2b should definitely look around others.

• chocolategirl
    Beginner August 2013
    chocolategirl ·
    • Hide content

Wow, just realised it was 14!! I know that is a crazy number (plus the hours and hours looking on internet and time spent phoning venues). Can anyone beat that number? And no, I wouldn't reccommend it! We just knew what we wanted but couldn't find it, but have now!

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

We looked at quite a few online but only viewed 2 and booked the second place as we knew it was perfect for us

• chocolategirl
    Beginner August 2013
    chocolategirl ·
    • Hide content

Just seen the 15 - 20 venues! I have been beaten!

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

We got brochures for about 20 and did a spreadsheet on the major things - location, cost & size to begin with. We narrowed it down to 3 and went to see those three. After viewing them, it was quite easy to narrow it down to the one we've picked.

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

I saw 16. viewed about 6 in London, 6 in Scotland and 4 in the Midlands!

xxx

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

I have nightmares thinking about how many I viewed to the point I can even remember the amount, what I can tell you is that I went to London, Yorkshire, Poole, Warwickshire, Kent and the best of all Spain..yep everywhere.....

Drove me mental!! but got the place we loved in the end phew..I just knew what we wanted.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I spent weeks online looking at all the venues in North Yorkshire that were approved venues for civil ceremonies - there were about 150 so it took a very detailed spreadsheet to remember which was which! We went to look at a few and were completely sold on the second one. Then we went back and realised that although it would have been perfect for a winter wedding (cosy and intimate) it didn't really give us what we wanted for a summer wedding. Looking back it was pretty gloomy, we just thought it was atmospheric when we first went, and it didn't have much outdoor space which was important to us. We went to look at a fourth one and as soon s we walked in it felt homely and light, plus it has a great outdoor space with gorgeous views over the Dales. We ate there before we introduced ourselves for our appointment and the food was gorgeous - had a proper look around and we were sold.

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

I researched for many months and because we live in England and are marrying in Scotland we had to narrow it down to our absolute favourites to go and see or we would have been back and forward loads. In the end we seen 5 and absolutely loved 2 of them, I had slight doubts about the one we ended up going for but OH loved it and we've been there a few times now to do different wedding things and I know we've made the right decision its perfect for us.

• kindred_spirit
    Beginner July 2013
    kindred_spirit ·
    • Hide content

We booked the second venue we saw. We just knew it was the one! x

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    Happybride85 ·
    • Hide content

I looked at 6 venues and I like 2 the best and I chose the last venue I looked.

• N
    Beginner July 2014
    neo_kat26 ·
    • Hide content

OMG I must have seen loads!! I looked at every avenue... even places that dont normally do weddings that I thought looked nice!! I even visited a riding stables as they had a lovely old house with a beatiful garden at the front suitable for a marquee! I didnt even want a marquee wedding!! lol

Most of these visits needless to say where lone visits as my OH and parents both abandoned me after the first 10 venues!!! I think tbh that there is no harm in going along on your own and sussing it out and if you like it then take your OH along for a second viewing for his opinion. My OH is very laid back so I am doing all the leg work and then when I narrow things down I will ask him for his opinion before making a final decision. It seems to work quite well but I think it depends on how involved your OH is!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We got married in Australia and were out there when we'd kind of unofficially decided that we'd get married 2.5 years later! We did a quick google of wedding venues, saw one we liked, but they were changing ownership so couldn't commit to our date. Popped into the hotel next door, quite liked it and didn't bother looking at any more. Ended up booking it when we officially got engaged a few months later.

Luckily for us (although didn't seem that way at the time), they cancelled our booking and we had to go out again to find a new venue. This time, I was so much further along the planning process and I wasn't so caught up in wedding excitement. I properly researched venues, narrowed it down to 9 (three of which were within the same group) and made appointments, printed out brochures, knew exactly what questions to ask etc.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

We had a very clear idea of what type of venue we wanted. We found five in our area, then googled them extensively, looking for different elements such as price, comments on wedding blogs, recommendations, flexibility, all sorts. Phoned three for appointments. On the basis of the calls alone we decided to ditch two and go to look at one venue only. Booked it within 20 minutes. Absolutely perfect for us, but what we were after was very specific.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics