Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner October 2013

how many wedding cars are you having?

Irisbride, 12 of September of 2012 at 14:44 Posted on Planning 0 22

The thread about mother of groom transport has got me thinking- and worried!

How many wedding cars are you having? does the groom normally travel to the church/ceremony venue in a wedding car? I hadn't actually considered how the OH, best man, his parents or ushers were getting there! I will be getting ready at my parents house which is less than a mile from the church so was planning to get one car to do 2 trips (one for mum plus bms, and then my dad and I). Then was planning that after the ceremony the same car would take me and OH to reception venue (about 7 miles away) and the others would be able to get there themselves. OH and his parents and best man will probably be staying at our house the night before the wedding (about 9 miles from the church). i had just assumed them and OH would make their own way there and didn't need a fancy car! Should I be getting a second weddng car for them?!

xx

22 replies

Latest activity by Goujon, 19 of January of 2016 at 16:32
  • gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

Two - a Rolls Royce that will take my mum, BM and page boy to church and return for my dad and I (the church is two seconds up the road!) and also a Ford Galaxy that will take groom/BM to church.

After the ceremony, the Roller will take OH and I to the reception, and the Galaxy will take both sets of parents, Bridesmaid and Best Man.

• KarenJane
    Beginner June 2013
    KarenJane ·
    • Hide content

Just the one for me! This was also recomended by the wedding car supplier - The car will take my mum and BM to the church and then come back for me and my dad. It will the take me and my new husband? to the reception.

My oh's brother or my brother will drive our car (complete with ribbons) to the church taking my OH and best man. He will then drive my parents and BM to the venue which also means our car will be there for us to use the next day.

Our car supplier said its not normally necessary to have 2 cars unless your really stuck for transport to the venue and remember if you provide a wedding car for mum/mil/bm etc they then have to sort out their own transport back unless theyre staying over.

Hope that helps x

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

We r having 2 but only because they r free!! OH and that r traveling down in the mini bus that we need to provide due to lack if space, in my experience they make there own way there either by a one of them driving or lifts, is anyone staying at your venue? I'm sure they will sort something out between them, even if a couple if people drive and then the ones that don't arrange a time to take them to get there cars the next day?

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

None. All girls are getting ready at the venue. Haven't discussed what's happening with the boys. Hmmm may need to consider this. H2B doesn't drink and we're staying there overnight so I guess he'll just drive himself, and everyone else. Could be a problem the next morning, having to drop people home though. Hmmm deffo need to consider this!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha! I can't believe I never even thought about how H2B was getting there!

Thanks for your replies- you've reassured me that I hadn't missed something really obvious! Guess it's just a case of working out what's feaible at the time. I guess it will depend on other guests too as a couple of our ushers and the best man will probably be bringing partners that won't really know anyone else so presumably they will prefer to travel with their partners then travel in a wedding car and leave their partners alone! x

• samjh87
    Beginner October 2012
    samjh87 ·
    • Hide content

I had a car booked for just me and dad to go to venue (ceremony and reception is at 1 venue).

As it is nearing the time I have decided against paying £300 for a fancy car that no one will see as everyone will be inside! Have a friend taking mum and bridesmaid, OH will get there his own way (possibly driving our car so we have a way to get home the night after and as of yet I have no idea how I am getting there!

Do you have to pay more for getting on a bus in a huge dress that will take up 2 seats...?

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad you brought this up too. Another convo to have tonight! Ahhh where would we be without hitched!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have any (we had a boat!) but my sister had a car and a little bus type thing (vintage style). The bus came about 45 minutes before the wedding, took the men to the church, then came back and waited for mum and the bridesmaids. The car followed with sister and dad.

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

None, we are both walking to venue Smiley smile

• fairyfay
    Beginner September 2012
    fairyfay ·
    • Hide content

None, we are all traveling on a trailer attached to a great big tractor ?

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

We are having 2 (one of which is free) - one to take Mum & BMs and one to take me & my Dad.

OH is making his own way there with his BM/Ushers as we figured he would be getting there before guests start arriving so no one would be there to see him in the car!

Also we are getting married and having the reception in the same place so need for cars in between ?

• K
    Beginner August 2013
    kayzz ·
    • Hide content

None we are getting married at a hotel and staying there the night before, me my mum and one of my kids in one room, groom best man and the other kid in another

People have been asking us how they have to get to the venue and weve said they make their own way!

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We had 2, one for me and my Dad (and later for me and H to get from church to reception), and one for bridesmaids and my Mum. H, his best man and his parents went in his Dads car and they polished it up and put a ribbon on to make it look nice!

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

We had 2, for the 30 minute journey. My Dad's Austin 10 from 1936 that he has spent the last 24 years doing up *Proud daughter here!!* And his friends 1950s Vanguard. Lovely cars!!

• ladyworm
    Beginner October 2012
    ladyworm ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we're having this same arrangement, only got one BM and the church is quite close, and the reception venue is literally just round the corner from the church. It may have been easier to have two cars, but to be honest it was an extra £300 and that will pay for our string quartet during the ceremony.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

We're having 2, a saloon and a 7 seater for 4 BMs, 2 FGs and mum. H2B is making his own way there with best man and ushers and his dad. In fact there probably going to meet some of the guests in the pub opposite the church for a quick stiff drink! Only prob is there's not enough room for my dad to jump in with them on the way back when h2b comes in the saloon with me!

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Just 1 car for us...OH is obssessed with arriving in the wedding car, so much so that he was going to book one just for himself. The car place advised him against it, so I am going to be booking him an executive car to get him, BM etc to the venue...The wedding car will then take my mum and BMs, then come back for me, Dad and brother (both giving me away)

• PurpleStar
    Rockstar May 2022
    PurpleStar ·
    • Hide content

We are having none, i'm staying at the venue the night before and my partner is coming in a car with his friend the rest of the people can get themselves to the venue!

• L
    Beginner January 2017
    LuxuriousOrangeCakes380 ·
    • Hide content

Just one, if they know about it ahead of time, they can do return trips from various places.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Im starting to worry too as we are using our own cars there are 10 seats between 2 cars and only 7/8 people, but:

I thought id go in one with my dad (and have a bit of space and time)

and

my mom and 3 bridesmaids in the other but it will require a driver and no of them can drive so possibly my brother driving (so thats all 5 seats)

but then I also realised one of our female witnesses might want to get ready with us too ?

• L
    Beginner January 2017
    LuxuriousOrangeCakes380 ·
    • Hide content

@Sorbet, for my sisters wedding, one of the bridesmaid's partners drove one car.

they were realyl happy to do it (excited to actually), they even wanted to wear a hat like parker from the thunderbirds! maybe ask someone you trust whose close but not part of it?

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Hi guys, not sure if you're aware but this thread is several years old. Obviously the subject matter doesn't change over time, but might be worth starting up a new thread to save bombarding the old hitchers with email notifications Smiley smile

• G
    Beginner May 2016
    Goujon ·
    • Hide content

I wonder how much people are spending on cars/transport of whatever kind?

We're going in my car as it's all at one venue and we're the only ones staying over so we need to be able to get home the following day. So it's not fancy but I'm hoping that way we're saving quite a bit of money!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics