Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sidsidney
Beginner

How much can a wedding dress be 'taken in'?

sidsidney, 1 May, 2010 at 22:18 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hope that makes sense! I am a classic pear shape and have always had a smaller top half than bottom, so when I ordered my wedding dress it had to be a 16 to account for my childbearing hips! I knew that it would be a little big on the top, but as I have lost nearly 2 stone since I ordered it, it was REALLY big on top when I tried it.

So... my question is does anyone know whether this is going to be an issue? Can wedding dresses only be taken in by a certain amount? Someone asked me about my dress today and got me worrying that the dress shop wont be able to alter it to fit if Ive lost too much weight. Surely they could still alter it - it just might end up costing me loads if its a lot of work?!

Ta Sid x

10 replies

Latest activity by sweetheart_sgc, 2 May, 2010 at 21:55
  • itgirlno1
    Beginner June 2010
    itgirlno1 ·
    • Hide content

Surely it'll cost the same no matter how much they take away - it's only one cut after all. I'm sure they won't charge by the inch - that wouldn't make sense. A shop we were in earlier said they charge about £50-60 quid per alteration.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

When I was BM they ordered a size 12 for my hips but my measurements actually put me in a size 8 on the bust and waist. So the top half was 2 sizes too big, it was huge!

It was altered no problems!! And I only paid £20 ?

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

They can be taken in 3 dress sizes

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

The rule is 2 sizes, however, i'm sure a good dress maker can make it go 10 sizes if they had to! If they say no, take it elsewhere. Don't worry, and well done on the weight loss.

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content

Cheers ladies! Am stressing less now Smiley smile x

Sid

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

I went dress shopping last week and i was told a maximum of 2 sizes.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure of the maximum but my dress was taken in 2 sizes

• sweetheart_sgc
    Beginner June 2010
    sweetheart_sgc ·
    • Hide content

Mines been taken in from a 12 to 8 then the women wasnt gettin married anymore and shop ended up with it back i saw it and fell in love with it and its now a tiny size 6. xx Smiley smile the women has done a brill job with mine. xxx

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Alas, I dont think I will have dropped 3 dress sizes by the fitting! (Try as I might!) ?

• sweetheart_sgc
    Beginner June 2010
    sweetheart_sgc ·
    • Hide content

Mine has ended up costing me £165 but htere was alot of work as my dress has two layers to it top half is lace with loads of beading to go on top of that to. Smiley smile hope you get yours done. xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics