Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner October 2011

how much can a wedding dress be taken in?

jade12345, 13 April, 2011 at 22:20 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi, does anyone know how much a wedding dress can be taken in? ordered my dress in august but have started going to gym and that in last few weeks and have lost a few inches from my measurements on order form. not actually got the dress or had a fitting yet as it doesnt come in the shop till july but dont want to go too crazy and it be like a bag of shite and unable to be altered to fit me and wasted £1200 of my grandarents cash. my dress in ronald joyce lola and has a corset/lace up back if that makes any difference.

3 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 14 April, 2011 at 08:27
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Similar thing happened to my daughter. She bought her dress when she was a size 14 but because it was a lace up back and was meant to have skin showing between the laces, she figured it would be OK as she wanted to lose more weight. She also went to the gym regularly and did a couple of months at Slimming World and went down to a size 10. Although, she was over the moon with that, when she came to try her dress on again, even with the laces tied as tight as they would go (with no skin showing between) it hung off her at the top. She had it altered by a local lady who teaches sewing at night class who did an excellent job and charged £40 which we thought was very reasonable because the bodice is heavily beaded. Apparently, the alteration lady says the lace up back ones are the easiest to alter because she does it from the edge of the lace up rather than the dress seam. Not sure off the top of my head what Lola looks like but this is my daughters if it helps give you an idea...

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

I think the general rule is that dresses can be taken in by 2 sizes. I also have a Ronald Joyce dress and my dress fitting is after Easter so I can ask if you like?

I will have the opposite problem if anything. I slimmed down for my measurements to be taken and have since piled some inches back on! ?

• J
    Beginner October 2011
    jade12345 ·
    • Hide content

Wow! your daughter looks beautiful rainbow. thats great if she went down 2 sizes and it could be altered,dont think ive actually gone down a size yet as its only a few inches ive lost so will carry with it lol x yes please jay-low,if you dont mind asking for me that would be brill x

thank you for your replies ladies x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

She probably won't thank me for posting this but this was taken at Grandmas's just after we bought it so you can see how much the alteration lady took in so it can be done.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics