Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arquard
Beginner May 2011

How much confetti and who throws it??

Arquard, 12 of April of 2011 at 16:36 Posted on Planning 0 23

Presumably I don't need to provide enough confetti for all 100-odd of my guests to each throw some... do i?

It's times like this I wish I'd been to more weddings and paid more attention!!

23 replies

Latest activity by ATB, 13 of April of 2011 at 10:54
  • Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Ive been to a few weddings and have so far never been given any to throw, I have always had a box of my own to take. I was also worrying about this the other day and asked my mum. I don't want to not provide any and run the risk of nobody bringing any, I want the confetti throwing photograph shots!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me tooooooo! That's one shot I am very excited about!

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt worry too much about supplying a box to everyone. I would make sure your parents take a few boxes along and maybe if you get some for the bridesmaids and a few spare. Then when you see people mention it in a light hearted way that they will need some.

Just make sure that there will be 10 boxes there that you know of which should be more than enough.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I luuuuve the confetti pics- espesh when they do the pic into a black n white with confetti in colour

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Bring your own - Everybody!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Check if your venue has any stipulations - our hotel states 'biodegradeable confetti only'.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

The wedding I went to last Easter I didn't think to take any, but the groom's mum was giving handfuls out to people. Perhaps tell someone to get a few boxes, maybe a job for MOG or MOB, and a little one or bridesmaid to pass around?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Check with your venue if it's allowed - I can't have any at mine. Probably just as well as I might panic about colour transferring onto my dress...I know, I know, you can get colourfast stuff but I'd still worry...

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

I've bought enough confetti for 50 people (50 cones that im filling with a handful each) and i have a nice cream tray that my flower girls or pageboy will hold to give it out after the ceremony ?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Just spoken to MIL2b on the phone and mentioned this - she said I don't have to provide any at all. Now I'm really confused!!

I think I will compromise, and make sure bridesmaids and family have a little bag with some in, and trust everyone else to bring their own.

We checked with the venue at our first viewing and they said confetti was fine on the lawns.

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I arent going to provide any. Now I've seen this thread I might make sure our mums both have a few packs so they can hand some out to people. I'm sure the oldies will bring some anyway!

I've never been given any at the weddings I've been to - well not by the bride and groom but by a relative/friend etc who brought their own!

xxx

• E
    Beginner October 2011
    englishrosebride ·
    • Hide content

We went to see a lovely photographer at the weekend and we talked about the infamous confetti shot. His advice was, 'assume no one takes any so you'll need to provide it all. Calculate what you think you'll need and then double it'.

I do see his point in that a confetti shot with just a few off pieces floating down really doesn't do your big day justice. He also suggested (if you have time) asking all your friends and family to give you any flower heads they have left over rather than throwing them out. Then pick all the petals off and stick them in the airing cupboard to dry out. Hey presto free and very pretty confetti.

• K
    Beginner October 2011
    karen945 ·
    • Hide content

We're not allowed confetti, but we are allowed bubbles. I'll be providing a couple of dozen bottles as people walk in the ceremony room.

• E
    Beginner October 2011
    englishrosebride ·
    • Hide content

Bubbles make for such lovely pics too.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Like the others have said not many venues allow it anymore which is a shame. The last 4 weddings I have done they have had non staining bubbles instead and they do look lovely.

IIt might be worth checking with your church/venue Girls (and Boys!) and putting something in with the invites if it is not allowed. I have watcvhed a very stern faced Vicar walk up to a Guest & remove the box of confetti from a Guest!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I hated the confetti shot, it went everywhere!

However, I love this pic of my sister and I (she hated the confetti shot too and came straight to my aid!)

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Traditionally, guests buy their own but nowadays because so many venues, churches don't allow it, people don't buy it just in case they can't throw it and get into bother! I would have loved to have confetti at my daughter's wedding as we did at ours. My dress still has some trapped inside from 27 years ago and it's the most sentimental feeling when I got my dress out of the loft recently. But after checking with the venue, they didn't allow it because the hotel is surrounded by moorland with sheep so it was a definite NO Smiley sad

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

At my sisters wedding no 1 botherd apart from my mum as i have got a few bags for ppl to throw

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

I believe the answer is that anyone can throw it and they can throw as much as they like.

I have also not heard of the B&G supplying the confetti before, but I suppose there is no harm in that if you feel thats a really important part of your day that the Maid of Honour or the Best Man could take along a supply to distribute out to people.

I know that at my wedding, we'll be having boiled sweets and coins thrown over us as well. Ouch!

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ouch indeed! That sounds painful!

We're providing confetti - out of the weddings I've been to, I've found the confetti shot has been more successful when it's been provided by the B&G. Plus we've been told that it also needs to be biodegradeable environmentally friendly, so better to provide it ourselves rather than risk someone bringing the wrong type.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I've been to dozens of weddings over the past few years, and only at 2 have the guests ever been provided with confetti (and that's only because the 2nd bride was in awe of the 1st one and copied everything she did!).

I never take my own because it never fits in my bag but I've tended to notice that it's older people who take it. I love the confetti shots too, so it's lovely when people do remember to take it.

BTW - what's with guests sticking confetti down inside the bride's dress? I was BM at my sister's wedding a couple of weeks ago and one of the ladies who'd come to watch (not even a guest) stuck confetti down my sister's chest, mine and even my Mum's!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's what they used to do in the 60's - down backs, down cleavages etc. They also used to stick it in your car so that when you opened the air vents, you got in in the face too! But that was in the days when people used to do up your car with tin cans etc which doesn't seem to happen now either. I think it's a shame that all these traditions are slowly dying a death Smiley sad

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Before my friend's wedding she had asked us all to bring some, which we did and shared it out. I'm not sure out of the people who brough some, who had done it on their own without being instructed by the bride.

The resulting photo wasn't good to be honest, just seemed to be full of fists of the people throwning it. The best picture to come out of it all was the BM picking confetti out of the bride's hair and veil.....

Also outside the venue just had a carpet of confetti resulting from there being weddings nearly every day of the week, just made me feel a bit like someone had been there, done that before me? (obviously they had!) but if it was my day I'd not want a reminder of the person who did the exact same the day before, does that make sense?

I like the bubble idea too, could look great!

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics