Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jaysmonkey
Beginner August 2014

How much did you pay for your wedding ring?

Jaysmonkey, 14 of August of 2013 at 15:43 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hello, first off I have a bespoke engagement ring designed by the dearest otherhalf, I adore it, however it means I need to get a custom made wedding ring.

We've approached the jewelers who made my engagement ring, simply because they have all the actual measurements and I would get to keep my engagement ring (not have to send it off), and also the fact they did an awesome job (o/h's words)..

Now today we got our quote back for a simple 18ct white gold band with small 'fin' to slot into with my engagement ring, the other side will be flat to allow easy purchase of a future eternity ring, the band would have a small 2.3mm Tsavorite gemstone to match up with my ER.

Now the quote is £890..and I find that a little extortionate given the simplicity of the ring. We'd be willing to go up to £500.

So right now I'm feeling disheartened, a) because I thought it would be cheaper, so did O/H. b) because I'm going to have to send off my engagement ring to get it made.

I've seen some highstreet jewellers are offering wedding ring design services now too, and I'm contemplating whether it's worth giving them a shout.

Alba Rose are another contender. I've seen rave reviews on here for them.

What would you do lovely hitchers? ?

Here's my engagement ring, I need to wedding ring to fit perfect, hence it needs to be specially made.

ETA : I'll be wearing my engagement ring 'before' my wedding ring.

27 replies

Latest activity by Excitedbridetobe2014, 27 of August of 2013 at 21:24
  • flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

Mine is an 18ct white gold twist ring and cost £423 from Alba Rose. I'd definitely recommend them too, as they do bespoke wedding rings to fit your engagement ring and their prices are really reasonable and I can vouch that they have great customer service.

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

I too reccommend Alba Rose, thats where we are getting our wedding rings too.

Not sure where you live but they have a shop in Bluewater now - we spent ages in there the other week picking our rings - customer service was great and also the prices were the best we had come across.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

How far from Birmingham are you? I had mine made and it was about £320 if I remember rightly but the price of Gold has gone up a lot since then.

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

Thank you !

I was swaying towards Alba Rose, I've seen many people on here highly recommend them. I've sent O/H a link as it's something we'll decide on together.

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near Bluewater, I'm up in West Yorkshire, but that's not a problem. O/H never met the designers of my ER either, as they were London based ?

They have lovely rings on their website, and it appears to be very professional, so currently the main contender I'd say.

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

Mines going to be £1200 with the discount I get for using the same shop OH bought engagement ring from. It's platinum with diamonds though hence the higher cost. Unless you're in a hurry I'd get quotes from some other places. You might be able to go back to the original place and get them to budge a bit on price if you like their service?

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ooh those prices look very reasonable - I need an alba rose in manchester!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Well, a simple white gold band should cost that much, even if shaped. All depends on how pricey Tsavorite is though.

My wedding ring was £1500, it's hand carved platinum with miniscule diamond accents. Sounds loads, but we negotiated down from the initial cost of £2400 and to be honest, ever since I saw the ring in a wedding magazine advert, nothing else came close:

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Oops no idea why the pic of my ring posted before the text not after. Sorry!

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They have a website too which I also believe is very good service.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

We paid £80 and £70 respectively in the sales. I worked really hard for the cheapest one I could get. I am in love with my engagement ring, and for me the wedding ring is symbolic, and not a piece of jewellery as such. No one will see it next to my ER. Not sure if that makes sense....

OH had a much bigger budget but wanted something VERY understated, not small, but not shiny etc. He's never ever worn any jewellery ever and was self-conscious about it. He chose titanium. It was one of the lowest priority items on the budget actually.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We're paying under £100 for our rings (each) & won't go above that haha.
    Something that's not as important to us though so spending more on other things, we're not big jewellery wearers Smiley smile
    So anyway unfortunately i'm absolutely no help sorry Smiley tongue

• *Munchkin*
    Beginner October 2013
    *Munchkin* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! My wedding ring actually came with my engagement ring, and is a very simple plain band with a small facet for the solitaire of my engagement ring to sit on. I actually think my engagement ring looks much nicer with the wedding ring next to it - it's obvious they are part of a set, and I love that OH had my wedding ring as well as my engagement ring before he proposed.

OH doesn't wear jewellery, so wanted something plain. He's gone for a matte titanium band, and it was about £75.

• N
    Beginner December 2013
    NorthernBelle_79 ·
    • Hide content

My ring is being made by a local, independent jeweller. It's platinum with 025 carat worth of diamonds across the top and costing £700. We priced something similar on the high street and it was between £1200 and £1500!!!! Our jeweller told us that the high street jewellers have an extortionate mark up and he was right!!! Such a rip off

• ambermaba
    Beginner December 2013
    ambermaba ·
    • Hide content

I'd definitely recommend Alba Rose. They're very helpful and the prices are great! We just had plain 18ct white gold bands with engraving and they were £355 total, saved at least £150 when looking at other jewellers costs. Also oh ordered wrong size so sent his back and they corrected and sent back same day- very impressed!

Your engagement ring is beautiful by the way!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! It is stunning. I love "different" rings. Solitaires are not my cup of tea.

I know smooch customer make rings- I had a bad experience with them but it seems I am in the minority on here as many people have loved them.

As for budget- my first WR was £800 or so for an 18ct diamond one that I now really dislike. The one I wear now was £99 for a plain 9ct band.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This definitely makes sense to me! I am sooo in love with my engagement ring - part of me thinks a wedding band won't look quite right next to it :s

perhaps I've just not found the right wedding ring yet!?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I had a whole drama last year where I realised that my WR totally overpowered my ER. I LOVE my ER and the blingy WR just took away the attention.

With a detailed ER plain is best I think;

Number one-

Number two -

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Ive always wanted a simple plain gold band....im a nurse and dont get to wear anything other anyway so something with stones, markings wouldnt be practical as id never get to wear it ( i dont get to wear my engagement ring as much as id like). Plus i kinda used the fact that i only wanted a plain gold band ( willing to pay around £250) as bargaining chip to get my beautiful but expensive ER hahaha!

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all the advice, it's very much appreciated. Also thank you for the ER love! ?

Mini, you're right your second plain ring looks so much better. An alternative for me is to go without the Tsavorite gemstone, the small gem itself would be about £50, but then there's the craftsman ship.

I'll have a think. O/H is down in Woking on business, so will properly discuss this when he's back tomorrow!

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I agree with this! I love my ER anyway but I LOVE how it looks with the WR even more.

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

Got our quote back for my bespoke ring today.

£400 including VAT, very happy indeed.

They're sending info and delivery packaging for me to send my engagement ring which they'll digitally scan, then return to me. That way I can see a CAD drawing of both ER and WR together ?

Thanks for the heads up! x

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

About £130. I don't really like it, but it does the job! ?

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried sourcing the tsavorite yourself? There's a great stone co in London - A E Ward and Son who could source and quote the price for you; as a rule you add 50-100% of the stone cost when you make a piece of jewellery (depending on its original value, if that makes sense?)
    If you could get a stone, then that could cut some costs Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    Sprollie ·
    • Hide content

Little hi-jack, thank you for this post! We were quoted around £800 in a high street jeweller and in a local independent jeweller around £1200!!!! Our Alba Rose rings will be delivered this week for £450!!!! We couldn't believe it! I am so grateful for all the advice on this post. We only wanted plain bands but mine has to be platinum - hence the price, we are on a budget so that has eased the strain no end!!

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £600 for 18ct White Gold band with diamonds. It was over what I thought I would spend but it looks fantastic with my engagement rings and I cant wait to get it on now. OH's however was Titanium plain band for £80 - due to his work we needed something hard wearing and he didnt want any sort of bling in his.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I'll also be an Alba Rose bride too.

My ring will be approx £450, 18ct white gold with 12 small diamonds.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

Love your engagement ring!

Also an alba rose fan and if you trust a courier you don't need to be able to go in, you can just send them your ring, they'll scan it, send your ring back and then make a cad design for you to approve. Mine was fab and cheap too!

Real thing (cost £300 - palladium)

• E
    Beginner July 2014
    Excitedbridetobe2014 ·
    • Hide content

Mine cost £728, it arrives tomorrow so I'll reserve judgement fully until then as I bought it from an eBay store called fine diamonds r us and it seems too good to be true. It is 9carat white gold, 1.4 carat diamond full eternity prong set. There is a 30 day return policy and 100% positive feedback. I plan to pay a tenner to get it valued to check it out. My partners is another ebay one, it is titanium, brushed finish with the 2 edges having a thin polished finish, it came pre engraved with "i love you" and was new at £12.99!!! He is very happy with it though!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics