Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2012

How much have you been quoted for corkage fees?

lucilledd, 7 May, 2012 at 11:23 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi Ladies (and any gentlemen on here!)

I'm hoping I can come up with a few replies so that I can work out an average cost of corkage for wine, sparkling wine and champagne. When I search online I keep finding results for 2009 and earlier!

We've been quoted £15 per bottle of wine and £20 for sparkling wine and champagne which seems really high to me. Although we've reserved the venue, we've delayed paying the first deposit in the hope that we'll be in a position to negotiate this down - or perhaps come up with a set fee for a certain number of guests?

Any stories you have to share on this would really help us see if these costs are average or not (I'm hoping not as I've seen some for £7/£11!)

x

20 replies

Latest activity by pezgirl, 8 May, 2012 at 22:23
  • F
    Beginner September 2013
    fruitbowl_uk ·
    • Hide content

The highest we were quoted was £15 and £20. That was stupidly high, but it does seem like a lot of venues quote high corkage to put you off.

Fortunately, my venue is only £7 and £10, which is much more reasonable and means we can actually make it work for us.

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

Our corkage cost is £3 per any bottle of wine or sparkling/champagne.

We turned down our first choice of venue as they wanted to charge us £2 per pint corkage on our choice of beer. Can't remember the wine corkage for that place but the ridiculous beer charge (obviously on top of the cost of the actual beer) was the breaker for us.

Our new venue doesn't charge corkage for beer as they just sell whatever's left to their other customers.

It's up to you how important it is, but it was sort of a matter of principal for us. We just hate people trying to rip us off, and are happy to compromise to avoid this. We felt the first place were just taking advantage, as I think your place are.

• hopefulmum2b
    Beginner August 2012
    hopefulmum2b ·
    • Hide content

The corkage fee was £6 per any bottle for us. x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ours was £7 for wine and £8 for champagne. I've seen much higher though - I think ours was definitely on the more reasonable side.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

We were quoted £90 per £35 bottle of champagne or £45 corkage per bottle if we brought our own at one rip-off venue. Needless to say we didn't book!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I think ours was £5 per bottle, might have been £6.

• BuzzyBride
    Beginner March 2013
    BuzzyBride ·
    • Hide content

Most place we looked at were around the £8 - 10 mark. Our venue is £8 +VAT, a bit high in my opinion, but the cost of the venue was so much cheaper than any of the others it sort of balances out.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

Can't help with corkage just stunned at this quote !

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tell me about it! It was the final nail in the coffin for that over-rated and quite frankly ridiculous venue!

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    RosyP ·
    • Hide content

We've been quoted £15 for champagne and £9 for wine (I have seen worse). Which means £1200 corkage, eek! Now i've seen some of your quotes I might talk to them to see if I can get it down. Bet I won't be able to though Smiley sad

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £7.50 per bottle of wine and £9 for champagne but doing it this way will save us moneyas a bottle of house wine at the venue is £16, my mum gets discount in a wine shop so wil be doing that and paying the corkage fee

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

We're having a Village Hall reception so corkage is zilch!!

I would be having an alcohol free wedding if we had to pay those prices!

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Caters are charging a set fee of £200, this is including them serving all wines/champs/bucks fizz and they are also provide all glassware... Sounds like I got a bargin compared to everyone else!!!

• E
    Beginner October 2012
    EGA ·
    • Hide content

Mine is free! He laughed at me when I asked how much Corkage was!! This is why I love the fact I'm getting married in Northern Ireland as I don't know how some places can justify such stupid charges.

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

We were quoted £8 per bottle.

We have gone with an individual bottle (1 glass size) of wine at each place setting on the table.

We bought these in Asda on offer for £1 bottle and we getting charged £75p corkage / bottle.

Was the cheapest we could do it as the cheapest house wine was £14 per bottle - working out at £3.50/person/glass

• T
    Beginner March 2013
    The future Mrs O ·
    • Hide content

Our venue isn't charging us anything! Can't quite believe the prices that some places will charge, feel very lucky ours is free.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We weren't charged corkage so were able to run a free bar for the duration.

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £15 for a bottle of wine, cant remember for anything else but its set at the price for their house choices.

Corkage is designed to put you off. why should the venue lose out and let you bring cheaper alcohol?

My Fiance work's in a hotel and told me this was normal so that they don't lose the money the could have made on alcohol.....one of the prices you pay for booking places like hotels

• pezgirl
    Beginner June 2012
    pezgirl ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £10 for wine/bubbly. We're just purchasing all of our drinks from them (it's a pub) at a discounted rate via their supplier. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics