Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

JellyBellyBride
Beginner December 2014

How much is too much for a bacon butty??

JellyBellyBride, 10 of April of 2014 at 12:36 Posted on Planning 0 45

Hi All

Was speaking to our Wedding Co-ordinator at the reception venue and asked her to quote us for bacon/sausage rolls in the evening with a vegetarian option. We didn't want to go down the full on buffet route as I think our wedding breakfast will only be finishing around 6.30 pm. Not sure what I was expecting but my jaw dropped to the floor when she e-mailed me a price of £6.95 per roll!! for around 70% of our guests that will £780.00 on bacon butties!!!

It's really got me wondering now if we need to serve anything at all in the evening (all of our guests are whole day guests so no-one turning up for the evening do). We are planning on a wedding cheese so perhaps we can just serve that with the cake around 9.30pm? I could buy a load of crackers and chutneys to put out with it perhaps?

What do you think - would you pay almost £800 for bacon rolls? Do you think we're mad considering feeding our guests again in the evening when they'll only finish eating at 6.30pm? Comments would be really appreciated, I think I'm just a bit shocked by the cost per roll and that's making me dig my heels in and say no.

45 replies

Latest activity by SunnyRedCakes649, 29 of August of 2016 at 00:36
  • Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I personally would be hungry by 10 if I'd finished eating at 6.30, even more so as I'd be drinking, but I do think that's a ridiculous price.

I think if you can put a load of crackers with the cheese that would be enough for a little nibble. Even though I'd be hungry, lots of people wouldn't, so whilst most people would probably take a bacon roll if it was offered to them, they wouldn't necessarily miss it if it wasn't there. Just check your venue would be happy with you adding extras to the cheese as it's obviously going to lose them the money you'd otherwise have spent with them.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Blimey. That's a bit more than i'd pay for bacon rolls to be honest. We were quoted approx £3.50 per roll by the people doing our catering.

Cheese always gets the thumbs up from me!

Are you able to bring in external caterers, or does everything have to go through your venue?

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I do think you need to serve something in the evening but I would prefer cheese over a bacon roll any day, even a £7 one. ?

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

I must admit, I've always been really grateful of the late night snacks at previous weddings I've been to, so we are considering it for ours. We have been quoted 3.00 per head for a selection of sausage/bacon butties. Initially I thought this was fairly steep, but reflecting on the fact they they'll have to have kitchen staff hang around to cook and serve at about 10 pm I don't suppose it's unreasonable. I think paying nearly double that is excessive though. I mean, how swanky can a bacon butty get?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Say to your planner "That is extortionate, we're not paying that for a Bacon Roll when we are paying so much for everything else - we will pay you £3 per item and no more" ... Go on, say it!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I would put something on yes - even if it's just cheese and crackers - with a couple of alternatives for those who might not like cheese. It's clearly a big wedding. By my calculations you're having around 160 people in which case £780 doesn't sound so bad. If you were only feeding 50 then it would seem much worse.

People will expect a little something. See what else they can offer but rather than a per head - try saying what could you put on for say £500 - or whatever you decide your budget will be for this bit. It's how we've approached it with our venue and it's worked well. You have a lot of people to look after and sadly that costs Smiley sad

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    S2BMRSB ·
    • Hide content

We are having a cheese board and the wedding cake for our evening. I think sometimes there is too much in the evening and I hate waist? So just going along the lines of a snack for later. Our venue is going to do crackers chutney grapes and apples so there will hopefully be enough.

• JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that's staggeringly expensive for bacon rolls.

SillyWrong, I am just awful at negotiating but I think I might try your approach. After all they can only say no can't they? If they say no then I'll do the crackers with the cheese.

We did have the option of using external caterers for the wedding breakfast but it just made sense to get it all done by the hotel (less stress on the day and the food there is very good). So, I think we could probably get external caterers in the evening. I'll check and perhaps ring round.

We are having a big wedding - Pammy yes, there's about 160 guests on the invite list at the moment (and it's still growing!) and, obviously we are spending quite a lot on the wedding and reception itself to accommodate such an amount of guests but it's a principle thing for me. I'm happy to provide food in the evening, I just think that £6.95 for a bacon roll is extortionate!!

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

If I were paying that for a bacon butty I'd want to frame it not eat it! Do they have a minumum price per head for the evening buffet? That might be why your bacon butties are so expensive. If that's the case they might be able to throw something else in as well as the bacon butties. Our evening buffet minimum price is £6.90, we discussed it with our coordinator and they said they could do things like bacon butties or pizza with potato wedges and dips instead of their set buffet menus for the same price but in the end we just stuck to the menus. I do think you need something to nibble on in the evening to soak up booze but cheese and crackers and cake would be fine by me.

• JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

We got a quote for a buffet initially and that came in at minimum £15 per head so this is a lot better than that!!

Also, I don't want to pay that much for bacon rolls and half of them be left over - it's not the kind of thing you can take home with you is it?! I think I'm going to have to grow a pair and do some serious negotiating. After all they are getting enough money out of us for the rest of the day....

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

My reception venue is a posh hotel in Central London so the prices are ridiculous. Our evening buffet will include bacon butties and they're £4 each.

• JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is in Camden so also London. Is the hotel providing them for you or are you going to an external suppliers? If external, could you let me have their details?

I've just e-mailed asking for the price to be reduced, will see how that goes - this is the first bit of negotiating I've done!!!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding brekafast finished about 6ish I think and a lot of our evening buffet didn't get eaten. We had a lot of comments about how nice the buffet food was, but people just weren't hungry. Whenever I've been a day guest, I never usually eat evening food too, maybe a bit of cake and that's it.

However, if you do go down the bake buttie route, I think those prices are extortionate! I'd pay £3.50 max I think.

• Superhanka
    Beginner December 2014
    Superhanka ·
    • Hide content

I must admit, I always feel a little disappointed when presented with invariably sweaty cheese & soft crackers. After a long day/night of drinking and dancing I would snap up a bacon butty. And who wants cake after drinking copious amounts?! Fried food & carbs all the way!

I do agree it's rather expensive though, definitely research some outside caterers.

xx

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is doing bacon butties for £3.50

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Our venue charges £5.50 for bacon butties which I thought was a lot.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi - sorry - I didn't say what I was trying to say very well - fititng this in around work which is getting in the way lol. I totally agree £7 for a bacon buttie is extortionate, but if you instead look at the nigh on £800 they wanted to charge you to only provide for 70% of your guests - what would they give you for say £500. Enough to complement the cheese and cake and provide something that would do for everyone. Bacon butties are popular but lots of people don't like them.

For our pre-meal picnic we've told the venue they have £200 to do a hampered picnic for 32 people - tell us what you can/will do. And we've then worked from that. It's come out really good and we're very happy.

I really would try the "what would you do for this much" approach.

• JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

Pammy - I see what you're getting at, sorry I think i read your post a bit too quickly!!.

So, I've gone back to her and said that's a lot more than I was expecting and have asked what they can do for £4.50 per head. I'm happy to pay that so will see what she comes back with.

Also starting to look at external caterers to see what they can offer...

• AmyandRoss
    Beginner March 2015
    AmyandRoss ·
    • Hide content

We are having the same but we're getting charged £8.00 each. Xx

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying £6 per head for fish and chip cones. Another venue we looked at were going to charge £15 for the same thing! It's insane the differences.

• R
    Savvy July 2015
    RomanticGoldConfetti108 ·
    • Hide content

Wow! We were quoted £6.50 a roll and I thought that was normal Smiley surprise

should we raise this with the co-ordinator? X

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

My BM owns a sandwich shop and sells her bacon butties for £2.20! There's no way I would pay that much. Personally I would contact a local pizza place and get pizzas delivered lol xx

• TwoDucks
    Beginner December 2014
    TwoDucks ·
    • Hide content

We've been quoted £3.95 each on bacon rolls. A massive saving on the original £15.95 per head that was originally quoted for a finger buffet.

I'd definitely go back and tell them you think its extortionate and see what they can do!

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

We arent having an evening buffet as our sit down meal wont be finishing til 7.30. We are having a popcorn and candy cart along with wedding cake in the evening xx

• lottie.f
    Beginner July 2014
    lottie.f ·
    • Hide content

Our caterer charges £8.50 for a bacon roll!!! It's so much that we can't afford canapes. I'm jealous of everyone getting them for under £4, I can only dream of that!!! I'm terrible at haggling and OH is useless with all things wedding.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We're paying £7 per head for bacon rolls / mini steak pies with veggie options..i'm hoping that's more than one roll per guest for the price haha.
    I just assumed as it's a wedding they get away with everything being so expensive :/

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We're paying £4.95 a head for bacon butties and chips, the venue does the best chips I've ever tasted. We're having a cheese tower as well but only really because we're getting married in Wensleydale and figured we ought to make the most of the local produce! Good luck with the negotiating - I hope they come back with a better offer!

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Where are they getting the bacon from at that price lol. Yes I think that is expensive! I am £20 a head for a buffet and also a glass of wine so your price is steep. Instead of having hot food why don't you make your own sweetie table??? That way you spend what you want and everyone loves sweets! X

• Joebella44
    Beginner March 2015
    Joebella44 ·
    • Hide content

I think we're paying around £6.50 per bacon/sausage roll, i thought this was actually normal as all the other caterers and venues we'd look at had been a similar price or more expensive. on average I think most of the venues we saw were charging around £7 for bacon rolls.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

I would ask exactly what you get for your money - i.e. how many rolls and how many rashers per guest. I once went to a wedding where they had sausage baps in the evening. Unfortunately, it transpired there was only 1 sausage and 1 roll per person, so the second half of the queue got nada. And I think they paid about £8 or so. Just saying, be careful of only catering for 70% as there may not be enough!

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Thats ludicrous huh....thank you for questioning it as where do you draw the line!! Crazy!! Surely the more you order the cheaper it becomes. Economies of scale!!

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

Wow!! Good luck negotiating the price, I think thats insanely expensive. To put it into perspective we are having a hog roast that will be for the main wedding meal then will provide enough meat for hog roast baps in the evening and that is costing us £700!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics