Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

JellyBellyBride
Beginner December 2014

How much is too much for a bacon butty??

JellyBellyBride, 10 of April of 2014 at 12:36

Posted on Planning 45

Hi All Was speaking to our Wedding Co-ordinator at the reception venue and asked her to quote us for bacon/sausage rolls in the evening with a vegetarian option. We didn't want to go down the full on buffet route as I think our wedding breakfast will only be finishing around 6.30 pm. Not sure what I...

Hi All

Was speaking to our Wedding Co-ordinator at the reception venue and asked her to quote us for bacon/sausage rolls in the evening with a vegetarian option. We didn't want to go down the full on buffet route as I think our wedding breakfast will only be finishing around 6.30 pm. Not sure what I was expecting but my jaw dropped to the floor when she e-mailed me a price of £6.95 per roll!! for around 70% of our guests that will £780.00 on bacon butties!!!

It's really got me wondering now if we need to serve anything at all in the evening (all of our guests are whole day guests so no-one turning up for the evening do). We are planning on a wedding cheese so perhaps we can just serve that with the cake around 9.30pm? I could buy a load of crackers and chutneys to put out with it perhaps?

What do you think - would you pay almost £800 for bacon rolls? Do you think we're mad considering feeding our guests again in the evening when they'll only finish eating at 6.30pm? Comments would be really appreciated, I think I'm just a bit shocked by the cost per roll and that's making me dig my heels in and say no.

45 replies

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if that is a normal price as we haven't been looking at venue packages, but it sounds very very expensive to me for a bacon roll!

For our evening guests a friend of a friend (semi-pro caterer) is doing us a buffet, 20 different items including meat, sandwiches, crisps etc for £5 per head which is a bargain. If you are allowed to cater yourselves or use someone outside it might be worth shopping around.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Hahahahahahaha. No chance.

Cheese is a great option in the evening, along with wedding cake. That's what I'm serving my guests now. They also are all day, no evening extras. I think you need to have something, as some people will want it and most people like cheese!

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

You could always have a pork pie wedding cake at night.

Xx

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    Sarah MC1 ·
    • Hide content

That seems very expensive for a bacon roll!? Will they move on the price? X

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Or pork pie and cheese. I'm quite liking this idea for myself lol

xx

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Wow, that is a silly price!!! It would probably be cheaper to hire in someone to do a hog roast for the evening munchies! Other than that, cheese and nibbles is a good idea with the cake Smiley smile I think that would be enough after a big meal Smiley smile

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is genius, may have to steal the idea. Also this thread is really making me want a bacon butty!

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

We had the same dilemma except we're having about 30 extra guests for the evening. Yes I'd love to give them food but I don't think it's the end of te world if they don't get fed proper food. We're also having a cake and a cheese cake with crackers etc. so people can eat that. If they get truly hungry they can always pop downstairs to the pub and order something! I can't believe the cost of canapés (for after ceremony) - we're spending about £8.50 per head on 3 canapés! Weddings!

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

MOH would say a good, crispy, bacon butty is priceless! However, I suspect even he would not pay this much for one.

Andrea de Gabriel

• JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

Hi All

Was away for along weekend and couldn't work out how to sign in on my phone!

You'll be relieved to hear that I managed to negotiate the price down to £4 per head!!! Apparently they had quoted for 2.5 rolls per person (who eats 2.5 rolls - surely you would either have 2 or 3???). Seeing as we're only going to finish eating at around 6.30pm and we'll have wedding cake and cheese (think I will do crackers and chutney as well) then I asked them to quote for 1 bacon roll per person.

I'm a lot happier paying £4 than £6.95, thank's to all you hitchers who gave me the courage to negotiate!!!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

So glad you managed to sort out a more reasonable price! I would have commented earlier but I was busy eating as many bacon butties as I could for fear the price of bacon was going up so much I might never be able to afford it again ?

• S
    Beginner December 2017
    SunnyRedCakes649 ·
    • Hide content

M hotel charges 11.50 pp for bacon or sausage baps plus chips - with 9.50pp for canapés plus a 3 course meal at 30something pp it's loads on food!

Interesting to see you got them to lower the price - was this a hotel or a caterer? I really would like to see if I could lower somewhere eg less canapes pp or less bacon rolls as it does seem they charge a fortune!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics