Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ValerieF
Beginner October 2013

How much is too much for a photographer?

ValerieF, 20 May, 2013 at 19:26

Posted on Planning 43

Hello there ? Just to get an estimate....how much are you ladies spending on a photographer for your wedding? My soon to be sister in-law is a great photographer and offered to take the pictures for us at our wedding, but I'm worried she won't find time to enjoy the wedding while doing it (kind of...

Hello there ?

Just to get an estimate....how much are you ladies spending on a photographer for your wedding? My soon to be sister in-law is a great photographer and offered to take the pictures for us at our wedding, but I'm worried she won't find time to enjoy the wedding while doing it (kind of stressful I've heard) not to mention I want her in the pictures! So I'm trying to budget for a professional photographer, but I'm not sure what a good estimate is.

X

43 replies

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

That's not scarily low, £1500+ album prices is the average for full time photographers, it could be that the guy at the fair is part time, or that he's less experienced, or that he's pricing himself according to the local market. For example, I know a guy who produces amazing work, and I was shocked to learn he only charge £995 and it's because he just unluckily lives in an oversaturated area and there's tons of togs in his area that he has to compete with Smiley sad If you like the work then there's not to say there's something wrong with their pricing, if you want me to look at it you can email their website at ********.****@*****.***

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I don't mind having a look if you want another TOG to help. Doesn't sound like a bad price.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you think his work is on par with togs charging allot more, then it could just be you're getting a good deal, especially if you haven't just been shown an album full of cherry pickings.

I to would be interested to see who the tog is if you want to pm me.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I actually look at this a diferent way. I shoot most group shots3 times. In each one, each person in the picture will have a slightly different expression....I don't think its down to me to decide which one is he best one (forgetting closed eyes), so I include all images and allow the client to choose. The client will have an individual viewpoint. This increases the volume of images, although I usually give a larger than average range of shots, so I would rather give 500 rather than a slimmed down 400 IYSWIM.....

Peter

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I'd say find the very best you can (and if it that means going to the very top of your budget, do it!) as it was only when we received our absolutely beautiful photos that I realised how important they were. Honestly, they are the best thing I spent money on - I also spent loads of money on flowers and other stuff, but ultimately, knowing what I do now, I'd have cut all of that to make sure I got photographs I was truly happy with. (ours are AMAZING!).

• L
    Beginner March 2013
    Lulu* ·
    • Hide content

As someone who has their wedding photos back and is a bit disappointed, I would recommend definitely doing lots of research. I really regret not trying harder as I'm pretty underwhelmed with our photos...it's not that they're bad, but they're not really 'us' and I wish I'd done more research and not just seen it as another weddin planning box to tick. There's a lot more to it than price.

• louise fisher
    Beginner July 2014
    louise fisher ·
    • Hide content

It is hard to say the account,different photographers charge differently,absolutely you may need to gather more vendors and see which one is much more better,and his skill is quite well...

Making an appointment may be quite helpful>..

A small conversation will be okay for you to know them..

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww Laura, this makes me sad! Why are they not you?

• L
    Beginner March 2013
    Lulu* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The photos aren't at awful, they don't warrant an article in the Daily Mail by any stretch! However there aren't any that I love or think 'I can't wait to show everyone.' I'll try to explain, but not sure how clear I am (it's more of a general feeling than specific reasons!). Me an OH aren't comfortable in front of the camera (which he knew from our engagement shoot), but the photos of us are very posed and we look so uncomfortable (and I felt it on the day). He has set poses that show up in all his wedding albums and he doesn't adapt them to suit the couple so it's very rigid. The few group shots we have are quite old fashioned, there's no fun or playfullness in them, just stand in a line and smile. There aren't any natural shots of me and OH except for during the service (and the vicar is in 75% of them), and the few of me before church are just take from odd angles and don't show off my dress. My dad burst into tears we he saw me but the photographer wasn't there so we missed out on pictures.

Now I've looked at more of his albums, I see that's his style and we didn't do enough research, but I felt that we were under pressure to get everything booked quickly. His website was nice and when we met him he was a nice guy with lots of ideas and knowledge. But on the day it didn't work. We asked for 8 specific group shots, he only manage to get 4 of them. Now that was partly down to the venue (we had weather problems), but I felt like he should have been pushing for the essentials at the very least. I was aware they weren't happening but as I was being pulled in 10 different directions it was hard for me to get people to listen. He also didn't take any photos outside the front of our lovely venue so that was kind of wasted!

Ultimately the photos are OK but not great and it wasn't his fault. So now I'm highlighting the importance of research to everyone I know who's getting married! I saw the wedding pictures of a friend a couple of weeks ago and they blew me away, they were so lovely, and I just wish I had that feeling with mine even if it was just one or two pictures. Your website doesn't help with me photo envy either DW!

I'm now thinking about doing a Rock the Frock shoot to get the pictures I think my dress deserves!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Argh bless you. Not nice when you don't 100% like them Smiley sad. It's the thing you look forward to receiving after the day ☹️

I'm just thinking perhaps you and your Husband (yay) can have a couple shoot somewhere in your dress and his suit? It would be like your couple shoot on the day. Where do you live?

Thank you for your lovely words about my work.

• L
    Beginner March 2013
    Lulu* ·
    • Hide content

Fortunately at the very last minute we arranged a video. When I watched that the other day and saw how relaxed and smiley I was it made me feel better. It was a complete contrast to the photos! I had a perfect day, have amazing memories of it and when it was over I was married so that was the most important thing.

That's a great idea about persuading hubby (if he'd go for it!) to do more photos. We're in Essex so there's lots of choice for different types of location-beach, city, countryside. Will get my thinking cap on!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Oh Laura, that's such a shame about your photos ☹️

We're doing a re-shoot session in a few weeks for a couple who are in a similar situation to yourself (in Essex too!)

Although we're really looking forward to it, it's upsetting that couples end up in this situation to begin with.

Hope you manage to get something sorted out- if you are seriously thinking about a re-shoot and want a hand choosing a great location(s) or some advice you're welcome to get in touch and we'll be happy to help. No ulterior motive, promise ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics