Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner April 2011

how much is too much for statley home for the day?

kparka, 25 November, 2009 at 20:59 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi,

Im thinking of having my wedding in a stately home "houghton tower". They have sent me prices for holding the wedding & reception there but i dont know what is expensive & what isnt! I dont think the prices include anything other than the use of the home for the day.... anyone any ideas what is cheap & what is too expensive?!

Any help would be appreciated.

Kerry

11 replies

Latest activity by May2be, 5 January, 2011 at 10:28
  • The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Hi, and welcome to hitched.

I can't help with your question as it's a bit of a "How long's a piece of string" question. ALso I am not having a stately home so have no idea of cost. Also I would think it would vary on location.

• Little fluff
    Beginner September 2011
    Little fluff ·
    • Hide content

Hi... i'm hettting married at Carlton Towers n North Yorkshire and the cost for 2011 just for the use of the place is £3850.00 WOW

So worth it though its amazing!!!

How much is your place?

• K
    Beginner April 2011
    kparka ·
    • Hide content

£3850 doesnt seem bed when i tell you Houghton Tower in 2010 is £4750 for jan-spt weddings & £4250 for oct-dec. £500 charge if you want to hold a civil wedding before reception as well.... dear god i dont know where to start with this planning lark...

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £4000 just for the hire of the place, everything else comes on top like food etc, and thats for a Friday, if you have sat or sun its £4900.

But then we looked at a stately home that was £11000 just to hire the building, so it really does depend on the place and location

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Q: how much is too much for statley home for the day?

A: if you can't afford it or it's more than your comfortable paying, then it's too much.

It really depends on what you are happy to pay. Fancy homes can charge what they want, they're going to get someone who's willing to pay it....

• nayso
    Beginner May 2011
    nayso ·
    • Hide content

We're having exclusive use of Winton House jsut outside Edinburgh. Although we're only having the ceremony there and the wedding breakfast in The Caves, the fee for the day is £2300... which I thought was pricely... but looking at the others, it turns out its pretty cheap. In love with the venue also.

• sparkles1984
    Beginner
    sparkles1984 ·
    • Hide content

Im in Country House and its only costing £200 to hire and then about £2600 for food for 65 x

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im not having stately home (800 yr old pub/hotel) But I agree with GB. Its all relative.

• M
    Beginner February 2012
    MOGO ·
    • Hide content

Hello, I Just spotted this post being new to this website and am interested in how your day went? I'm thinking about the caves for the wedding breakfast and evening reception. I have looked at Winton House but just presumed you had to book your wedding breakfast etc there too. Can you simply hire the whole place out including the rooms etc, have your ceremony there but not the wedding breakfast? Thanks, x

• nayso
    Beginner May 2011
    nayso ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mogo, My wedding is just under 5 months away. I have to say that so far, the caves have been absolutely outstanding. We're working with Caroline and she really can't do enough to help. We are having our wedding breakfast and reception there. Winton House were happy to have us just for the ceremony and a drinks reception after, before heading to the caves. They won't reduce the hire price, but I would highly recommend that you visit the place. It's stunning!! If you have anymore questions, my email is *********@*****.***, I'd love to have a chat with you about it all. I am also writing for Rockmywedding.co.uk as a real bride, so you can follow the progress there. xoxo

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

WOW! Our budget definatley wouldn't have stretched to the figures on here hence we are not getting married in a stately home lol We have booked a converted barn for the day and paid less than half (maybe even a third) the sort of figures here. But we did book a monday so that helped bring the price down. When we started out the planning process we knew the kind of venue we wanted and when we looked around were shocked st the kinds of prices places could ask just to hire them. In the end I am so glad we went for a monday because we still got the venue we wanted and managed to stick within our budget. The venue hire has worked out to take about 1/10 of our budget and then adding in the entertainment, food and drink it is around 1/2.

I think realistically you should plan to spend around half your budget on venue, food and drink and then the other half on the photographer, dress, suits, flowers etc. So really it is all about how much you can justify spending and what aspects of your wedding are the most important to you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics