Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nessa_EssexBride
Beginner November 2015

How much is too much to pay for wedding flowers..

Nessa_EssexBride, 7 of May of 2014 at 12:07 Posted on Planning 0 34

Hi all,

Just curious to see how much ya'll spending on flowers.

Is this somewhere you think, its alright to splash out on it or you think its better spent somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for your comment.

34 replies

Latest activity by bettybubble, 8 of May of 2014 at 12:15
  • bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Flowers aren't a priority for us so we're only spending £86 on silk flowers. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

We're paying....

Bridal Bouquet £90

2 x Bridesmaids Bouquets @ £70 each

3 x Corsages @ £8 each

And I've made the men's buttonholes myself out of felt ;-)

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

We're paying:

£45 for my bouquet (tulips)

£35 for bridesmaid's bouquet (also tulips)

£9.50 x 14 for pew ends (tulips and lily grass)

£35 x 8 for table centre pieces (tulips and lily grass)

£3.50 for best man's buttonhole (tulip)

This is in central London and a florist who has a royal warrant from Prince Charles!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I think I win - bouquet £15 + two buttonholes at £4.50 each = total flower spend of £24. I am really not bothered about flowers. ?

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

It depends how important they are to you. If they are a priority then splash out. I dont know what is a good price, as I will be using silk flowers for the bouquets , and probably make my own arrangements for the tables with flowers from a supermarket, luckily I work in one so I can order in what a need (and maybe be cheeky enough to ask my boss for a little discount) hehe!

• R
    Savvy July 2015
    RomanticGoldConfetti108 ·
    • Hide content

We have got a wedding package £300 for all the below!

1 x Brides Handtied boquet

2 x Bridesmaids hand-tied boquet

6 x Buttonholes

1 x Top table arrangement

10 Table flowers centrepieces

All in our choice of flower Pink Gerberas x

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    LucyLastic ·
    • Hide content

We are paying £700 for flowers to include: bridal bouquet, 4x bridesmaids bouquets, 1x flower girl posy, 6x button holes for grooms men, 2 corsages for mothers, 2 thank you bouquets for mothers, ceremony display & 10 centre pieces.

I think that is pretty reasonable, but I do currently reside in lala wedding land where anything under £1000 seems reasonable!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha i'm right there with you!! Bloody bonkers ain't it?!?!

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content

I don't think there is a straight answer to that question! All you can do is decide what's important to you and shop around until you find a price you can live with....

On that note - RomanticGoldConfetti you are getting an absolute steal! I don't suppose you are getting married in Essex? ?

I have had three quotes from Essex florists that don't seem to vary all that much from each other but need to go back and see what I can tweak....

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

Im paying around £350.00 in the North East and this is for

Brides Bouquet

1 adult and 1 childs hand tied bouquet

1 mums corsage

1 mums buttonhole

6 mens buttonholes

1 childs artifical buttonhole (my 3 year old will probably try and eat anything real!!)

3ft top table

6 centre pieces that im buying and she is filling them

This cost is around standard i have found as ive seen 4 florists and they vary from £300 to £500. Also im having roses in most of my flowers so they make it more expensive

• R
    Savvy July 2015
    RomanticGoldConfetti108 ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately not lol! I live in Wiltshire so prices are much cheaper down here! Also the flower package is exclusive for everyone who gets married at our venue so that's why it's so cheap! Smiley smile x

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah dammit! Nevermind ? It's good that your venue is helping you in getting such a good deal. Ours doesn't do anything like that and I'm sure one of the florists who has quoted us has bumped up her price because of where we're getting married...

• victoriahbell
    Beginner April 2015
    victoriahbell ·
    • Hide content

Good timing - i just received my quote today its £273 which split down is:

brides Bouquet - £65

Bridesmaid Bouquet - £30

2 x flower girl posies - £40

7 buttonholes at 4.50 each

White hydrangeas for tables - approx £100 for 10 tables

£10 delivery on the morning of wedding

I was quite pleased with that quote to be honest and as the florist is local and we know other people have used her we are quite happy to pay that!

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

We are only doing my bouquet which will be about £10. Just getting some Tulips from the local shop and then binding them with silver ribbon. None for church, venue, men or bridesmaid.

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in Cornwall and the florists down there must be super expensive! I've had quotes from five for:

Brides bouquet, 1 bridesmaid bouquet, 3 button holes and 1 corsage

Four all said £200 - £300, one was about £185.

I want big fluffy David Austin-style roses which I think are quite expensive, but I'm still getting over the shock of these quotes. Glad I'd already decided to use artificial flowers for the table decorations!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Are those quotes inclusive of VAT ladies?

I'm weighing up options at the moment - loved one florist but the price if I include VAT breaks my budget, haven't had a quote from the other hotel preferred supplier and was somewhat underwhelmed by them at our meeting, so now wondering whether to go for the pricey blooms or hope that the lacklustre option comes in better than expected and/or cheaper.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There is no VAT applicable on flowers sold by the florist - it's exempt.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's very interesting. Is that true of all florists? Because my quote specifically says "This quote will be subject to VAT at 20%."

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

As far as I know yes, unless it's changed recently with the budget. I know the florist does pay VAT on the stock she/he buys as I used to have a shop myself but it wasn't passed on to the customer. I'll have a look to double check if it's changed.

• victoriahbell
    Beginner April 2015
    victoriahbell ·
    • Hide content

My quote doesnt mention VAT anywhere on it

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

Flowers are not exempt from vat, however a lot of florists may not be vat registered if their annual turnover is relatively low

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Gotcha - these florists do a lot of corporate stuff so probably too big to be VAT free. Thanks. And sorry for hijacking the thread with talk about taxes!

To remedy with something a bit more helpful/ relevant - the quoted breakdown I've had so far is:

Bride's bouquet (trailing, incl roses and freesia): £90

Bridemaids x3: £35 each

Buttonholes x 5: £6 each

Corsages x 2: £15 each

Total: £255

We get reception flowers included in our package with the hotel, so I'm not entirely sure what the pricing is on those!

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd ask them to clarify if vat is included in the price they gave you, or if you need to add it on top. It seems a bit unfair to give you a price without it and then add it on as you're not as business and won't be able to claim it back, so really the vat amount is irrelevant.

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

We were quoted about £550 (I'm guessing that's including VAT!) and that's for:

My hand tied bouquet

6 buttonholes

2 corsages

about 30 jars/bottles and 6 jugs to be filled (she loans the enamelled jugs FOC)

flower garland along top table

gyp bouquets for 2 bridesmaids

gyp pew ends

i love flowers so wanted a fair few and I was really pleased with the quote. It's for 'countryside flowers' I guess the type of flowers you love can make a difference, I imagine roses and lilies would be more pricey...

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    trewsie ·
    • Hide content

I suppose too much is more than you can afford/have bugeted for!! Our florist is supplying:

Brides bouquet

3x Adult Bridemaid bouquet

1x Young Bridesmaid bouquet

2x Flower girl headband

Groom buttonhole

7x other buttonholes

5x small fishbowls for registrar table

10x centre pieces which are 3 vases filled with water and flowers, floating candles and tea lights

With hiring of the vases, set up and collection etc it is 1K which is on the nose for what I had bugeted but we are central London!

With reagards to VAT my florist said she didn't have to charge it as she is a one person business.........

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

Now I am horrified. I set aside £1000 for flowers... Went to a florist with a wish list and got a quote back for £2000. Now yes, I want ALOT of flowers but I was absolutely mortified. I got carried away by wedding magazines and Pinterest -_-

Needless to say with another florist meeting on Friday I shall be going back with my bartering head on and some different choices of blooms.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I love flowers but didn't want to spend an absolute fortune, so we've got:

Brides bouquet - £55

Bridesmaid wrists corsage on a pearl bracelet (she didn't want a bouquet!) - £12

2 ladies corsages - £17

4 buttonholes (including a 'posher' one for the groom) - £18.50

2 presentation bouquets - £50

20 of my jam jars filled with flowers - £80

Delivery and set up (about an hour away) - £12

My bouquet is a mix of roses, peonies, astilbe, gysophelia and foliage and the others will be a mix of these. When VAT is added it comes in at about £293.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

With VAT, it all depends on your turnover. Most florists don't have a turnover large enough to have to pay VAT. When I had my shop in the late 90's, I had to pay VAT on the flowers themselves which I bought from the wholesaler but the actual arrangements I sold to customers weren't subject to VAT but having had a quick check, apparently there are different rules for florists regarding flat rate VAT now so it's worth checking to be on the safe side and then at least you know you won't be having to find extra money to cover the VAT charge. I would imagine though as another poster mentioned, most florists wouldn't say a price and then add VAT on, it would be the inciusive price.

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

Just for fun, I got a quote for my wedding flowers from the florist who did Prince William's wedding... £10,000!!!! For two bouquets, 14 pew ends, 8 table centre pieces and a buttonhole. All tulips.

We didn't go with that florist in the end...

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I don't want to spend much on flowers, so have bought 24 large silk roses from Ebay and some black lace to make my gothic bouquets. Total cost about £50 (and about 200 hours of my time to make them, but I'm free!)

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Flowers are low prioirty for us. However if we are going to do it I'd want fresh over silk. We've spent on seeds, florist tape and string. If it works then we'll have flowers; if not then we won't!

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    bettybubble ·
    • Hide content

We are paying just under 470 for 27 small mixed vases that can be grouped for the tables, bouquets for bride and 1 bridesmaid, circlet and posy for a flower girl, 2 mums bouquets, plus buttonholes for the groom, 4 ushers and 2 bridesmaids. That includes some lily of the valley and roses, and delivery to the venue which is an hour or so away. The bouquets will be the registrars and top table flowers as well.

we are having the evening party in a different place than the wedding breakfast, so when we leave the first venue I'll be asking guests to grab a vase to decorate the next one! That is why I wanted lots of small vases, so they are easy to carry and can be set in casual groups when we get there.

I have also planted 76 white marigolds and 20 chocolate cosmos. We aren't counting on them but if we get good flowers I will use them as extra decoration at the reception.

my sis has warned me that some people expect to take the centrepieces! The vases belong to the florist so I will need to make that clear Smiley smile but we will try to include some takeable elements as well.

I wouldn't have said flowers were a big thing for me, but in fact I'm spending more on flowers than my dress so that must say something!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics