Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner September 2013

How much should I sell my wedding dress for?

Kk86, 8 of December of 2014 at 10:50 Posted on Planning 0 5

I'm selling a Ronald Joyce dress from their 2011 collection and have no idea how to price it for selling.

5 replies

Latest activity by Kk86, 8 of December of 2014 at 18:56
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I notice that they tend to go for 1/3 of the new price or less... though as yours is a slightly older design I'm not sure how that would affect it. I see brides trying to sell 2nd hand dresses for months on Facebook groups.

Try putting it on sale at £350 and be prepared to drop to £250 if you really want to sell. Make sure you list it with good photos of you wearing it so buyers can see the real size. Brides often add awful mobile phone photos or ones their friends took. Just ask your wedding photographer if it's OK to use their photos to sell the dress. I always allow that so I'm sure they will say yes.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

To some extent the saleability will also depend on what the adjustments were. For example, if you are 5 2" and wore only a kitten heel, it will have been shortened to your height and anyone taller cannot buy it and make it longer. However, if you are tall, a shorter person could buy it and have it shortened so you are widening the pool of potential purchasers. Similar thing for sizing - eg a size 14 could generally be altered (depending on the style) to fit anyone up to 4 sizes smaller, but generally most dresses can't be made bigger without modifications (extra panels etc). So if it is a tiny size already, or a size which is not 'average' in the UK there will be less demand for the dress and therefore you need to be quite lucky to find a buyer.

Would you be willing to just accept whatever is bid for the dress? In which case you can put it on ebay as an auction and set the price as a £1 with a reserve price of £100. If it doesn't reach the reserve price it doesn't sell. Or you could have no reserve price and just accept the highest bid. A risky strategy!

You might to also consider selling in the New Year as just before Xmas is not a time most people are looking for second hand wedding dresses (most people are skint from Xmas). Generally in the spring or early summer are the peak times people will be looking for a second hand dress, especially as it is from a few seasons ago.

• sweetlikechocolate
    Dedicated May 2016
    sweetlikechocolate ·
    • Hide content

Both my sister and my friend sold their dresses for half the retail price. They put them on preloved. Both had brides travel to try on the dress (one drove 7 hours) and I think that is much more likely than someone buying it on ebay for example without trying it on as your dress has been altered. I would put it on preloved for £600 ( which is 1/3 of retail price). No one has to know what you paid.

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    Kk86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much for your posts.

I've very recently been offered £450 plus postage from someone elsewhere in the UK who loves the dress. Given what you've all been saying I think I might be best accepting the offer.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I think looking at what you paid for it, £450 plus postage if they want it posting is a very good offer and I'd snatch their hands off. Preloved like ebay is full of second hand dresses and while you might get more - there's every chance tbh that you won't. jmho of course x

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    Kk86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much Pammy67

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics