Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

How much spending money needed for honeymoon in Italy?

moonpie1985, 26 October, 2011 at 20:34 Posted on Planning 0 13

Thinking of booking 2 weeks in Italy in July next year. Looking at possibly a week in Naples followed by a week along the coast, Salerno, Sorrento or Positano sort of thing.

Trying to budget for it and wondering how much spending money we will need for the two of us.

The hotel we are looking at booking includes breakfast, so that will be covered, but will need enough cash to cover lunch, dinner, drinks and any other little things when we are there.

Does anyone know how much we should need per day? We were thinking approx £150.00, but then again that could be way over...

13 replies

Latest activity by moonpie1985, 26 October, 2011 at 22:25
  • cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

OH is in Milan right this moment, he just spent 75 euros for lunch for 2 ( had pizza & a bottle of wine) He said he was just in a regular street cafe. No idea if that is average for Italy or if Milan is just really expensive

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Milan is quite expensive IIRC.

But then again Positano and Sorrento are meant to be even more expensive. Think maybe we need to budget even more then!

Uh oh

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

He was shocked, he last went to Milan about 10 years ago and doesn't remember it being that expensive. He's there for another 2 days so will ask him for more prices of things for you!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

We went to Sorrento last September. Breakfast was included at the hotel, lunch was about 20euros as we were grabbing quick snack type things such as a sandwich or pastries, and dinner was about 80 euros for a sit down three course meal with wine in a lovely restaurant. Local wine was very cheap in all cafes, bars, restaurants, etc. We heard that taxis were expensive but never had need of one so can't comment first hand.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Mellow_Yellow - Did you stay anywhere good in Sorrento?

I have found where we are staying in Naples, just got to find something in the Sorrento/Positano area now.

Fine with villas or Hotels.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We stayed in the Grand Hotel La Pace...it was very nice, very grand looking, but I'm sure there are better out there. Appearance wise it was stunning, and the rooms were lovely, but I wouldn't say that the service or food stood out - not that it was bad though, just not outstanding.

We did, however, eat (and get engaged) in Ristorante Il Borgo...a lovely little restaurant on top of a mountain. The meal was 66 euros if I remember rightly for wine, water, starters, steak each with potatoes and veg, coffee, I can't remember if we had dessert. It was by far the best meal of the trip, stunning location, and they send a car to pick you up from your hotel and drop you back off totally free of charge - lovely place!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Aaaarrgghh I just wrote you a really long reply waxing lyrical about the Amalfi coast and I bloody lost it!!

Anyway Hotel Antic Mura in central Sorrento has a good reputation.

We have considered Hilton Sorrento Palace and Best Western Solara but both are a bit further out but better views.

When we went we stayed in a villa. This one to be exact;https://www.vrbo.com/en-gb/holiday-rentals/italy/campania/metropolitan-city-of-naples/schiazzano?vgdc=HAUK&preferlocale=true&inactivePDP=true We saved money that way by buying in food and have booze and barbecues there with the lovely views?. Down the road from there in Massa Lubrense is an amazing pizzeria where the locals go, cost us 3 euros for some of the best pizza we ever had! The best and cheapest places to eat are often off the beaten track and certainly not around Piazza Tasso! Althouh we did eat there too and it was lovely.

We're getting married in Positano in spring 2013 and absolutely can not wait to go back. We're thinking of staying here;

https://villamiragalli.com/

Sooo exciting ?

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married and honeymooning in lake Garda. We're booking a half board hotel so we don't have to eat out every night, though we will eat out few nights. We're aiming to have about £2k spending money...hopefully this will be enough .....

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I should add we're staying for 2 weeks so that's about £140 a day ....

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Villa Miragalli looks amazing!

But lots of money for 7000euros per week. That would end up easily costing us £15k just for 2 weeks!

The Masa Lubrense villa you stayed in looks lovely, but its more expensive per week than staying in La Solara Hotel, and the hotel has a pool and access to beach.

As we are doing a bit of a tour, we will have a car with us, so not too bothered if we don't stay in the centre.

Going to Positano was definitly the most memorable holiday I have ever had, and I will never forget the sites you see at Pompei and the wonderful city of Naples.

No one ever goes there, thinking that its just full of the Mafia, but to me its so much less touristy than Rome or elsewhere of the like.

Very excited.

There are just so many places to choose from, just got to decide which ones!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah sorry, those villas are for 8/10 people and as we're splitting the cost it won't be too bad ? You'll have an amazing time wherever you stay.

This time we want to go further along the coast than Amalfi to see Ravello and possibly Salerno. We're going to hire a boat for a day too. We're going to see Herculaneum as we only did Pompeii last time. We also want to see the Blue Grotto as we couldn't last time because of wind and high tide or sometihng oh and the Emerald grotto too. So much to see and do ?

If you feel like splashing out for a meal you have to go to Don Alfonso too. Most memorable meal of my life.

• starstruck-
    starstruck- ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if this is helpful as its not mainland Italy, but we spent a week in Sardinia in August this year (Southern Sardinia). When we ate out, we would have starters and main course, with a bottle of wine and possibly a couple of coffees after. Prices ranged from cheap (£20 per person) to expensive (£75 per person). We were hugely disappointed with almost ever place we ate, except the more expensive ones. Even the mid priced places were pretty dire. (we're talking pizza dripping with so much oil it ran off the plate and barely any topping except cheese, and another that offered Lobster linguine, that came with several pieces of shell (with no meat in) and 1 piece of lobster about the size of a small prawn!)

I would budget as much as you can and eat in the best places you can afford! We holidayed in Sicily a few years ago and it was amazing, the food was absolutely incredible, regardless of budget. But I wouldn't return to Sardinia in a hurry!

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the responses.

Last time we went there it wasn't too expensive to eat out at all, and we ate at some amazing places.

It seems expensive now, but exchange rates could change still in our favour which would be nice.

Jennyh10 - The whole of the Amalfi coast is amazing. Ravello is especially lovely.

My OH hasn't been there before, so I am so excited to be able to show him all the wonderful places that are on offer, especially Pompei and the grottos. Im sure he will be blown away as I was each time I went.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics