Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I-go-by-many-names
Super April 2015

how much to buy for sweet buffet? advice please

I-go-by-many-names, 29 of December of 2014 at 18:29 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all,

We are going to do our own sweet buffet at our evening reception as we aren't doing favours and there is only snack food for the evening reception so wanted to put something out for those who get the munchies (this will probs include me, I love sweets!)

Problem is I have no idea how much to get. We will have around 130 coming to the evening so quite a lot of people, though I imagine not everyone will eat it will they?

I now have 2 large sweet jars (1700ml I believe), 2 medium size (1050ml) and 5 smallish ones (I'd guess around 750ml). I think this should be enough so I just need to buy sweets. But this is all just guesswork. Does anyone have any ideas of quantities? I'm rubbish at this sort of thing so a bit worried we won't have enough or might over buy.

Thanks in advance.

6 replies

Latest activity by I-go-by-many-names, 31 of December of 2014 at 15:54
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

You could average it out at 100g or 200g per person. I'm a photographer and notice most of the sweets are eaten by children, the adults usually only pick at a few. You might be better off doing a dessert stall using supermarket bought flapjacks/brownies etc.

It might be cheaper for you to book a candy cart company as you have quite a lot of guests.

• Superhanka
    Beginner December 2014
    Superhanka ·
    • Hide content

At our recent wedding we did a diy sweet cart for around 140 people. As we provided evening food and wedding cake I'd just planned on it being a nice little add on.

Needless to say it went down a treat. We went to makro and bulk bought the sweets, we had plenty left over (not on the night, just the surplus from when I initially filled the jars at home) which means 2 wks later I'm still eating haribo hearts.

I realise this is of no use and doesn't answer your question, but I suggest you find someone with a makro card or similar, take your jars for measure and stock up on cheapo sweets!

• Superhanka
    Beginner December 2014
    Superhanka ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I should probably add we spent about £40 on sweets. Candy cart companies were around the £100 mark.

• k.j.w
    Beginner June 2017
    k.j.w ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure how many glasses/jars you need but most companies work out the sweets by 150/200g per person.

From my experience adults like the sweets just as much as adults, so I would suggest you cater for most, if not all the guests.

Depending on what sweets you want, DIY is probably cheaper & best if you want the sweets to stay out all evening rather than a few hours.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Ok thanks for all the prompt replies. So for 130 people and 150g each, i will need 19.5kg. I think I may need some more jars!!! There is a makro near us so perhaps we will have to make a visit. Not sure if you have to pay for a card? If you do i think my dad might have one but that's a bit more tricky as he lives 100 miles away.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Just to add, if you order from makro online you don't need a card and you still get the discount x

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Thanks bekkijane, never knew you could do that. Was chatting to my dad earlier and he revealed he does indeed have a makro card, so I'll see if I can use it in my nearest one. If they're arsey about it I will have to just send him with a shopping list and he'll have to do it up north. Im sure he won't mind doing this, he has been a big help with wedding stuff recently (much more help than my OH who still doesn't think he needs to look at suits yet, we've got 3 months to go and he wants it from a tailor, he's hopeless).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics