Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allgold78
Beginner October 2011

How much would a dressmaker charge?

Allgold78, 13 of July of 2010 at 18:58 Posted on Planning 0 11

I saw the most beautiful bridesmaid's dress that suits my colour scheme etc and would look gorgeous on my neice. The price? £155!!! I'm not paying that for a dress that a 5 year old will wear once. Does anyone know how much a dressmaker would charge to make one?

11 replies

Latest activity by Sheasey, 24 of February of 2015 at 16:43
  • The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

I had my sisters made and it cost £75 - unfortunately i cant post pics as i dont have them on H2B's laptop and mine has died Smiley sad R.I.P baby laptop!! Smiley sad i have posted them on here before though x

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content

Awwwr sorry to hear about your recent bereavement. lol.

Ah that's not a bad price. Was that adult or child size?

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

Your condolences are much apreicated thank you - although H2B is now threatening to change the password on his laptop - eeeeeeeeeeeeek i just couldnt comprehend life without hitched!!!

It was an adult size, with some sparles on a band sewn across the top at the front its gathered slightly at one side with a sparkly fascinator type thingy at the point where it all gathers, hehehe i would make such a great fashion reporter wouldnt i ?!!! lol x

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content

No no no, hitched is a part of your life. Ask him if he could live without air!!! lol

Ah, so a child's dress may be slightly cheaper then? The thing with this dress was the bottom was white and the top half was the purple that I'm having so not your typical dress you can pick up in a dept store.

Hmmm, not getting the perfect picture of your dress, lol. Don't give up the day job!!!!

• G
    Beginner
    getlaced ·
    • Hide content

Im a dressmaker and i think that £155 for an adults dress is ok to be honest, it sounds like it has beading detail and some gathering which all adds to the workload of the potential dressmaker, it also depends on the type of fabric you choose. for my bridesmaids dresses the fabric alone is £17 per metre and im using between 3 and 3.5 metres per dress, then theres the cost of the linings, any zippers, thread and the sparkles, the cost of labour will go up significanlty if it includes hand beading or embroidery.

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah no hun, this is for a dress for a 5 year old!! I don't have time to upload it now but I'll get a picture on here later today so you can see what I'm looking at x

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content

This is the dress I really wanted. There's not too much detail to it. How much do you think I could get it made for?

• G
    Beginner
    getlaced ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh i just reread the post lol silly me! i think £155 is alot of money for that dress but i suppose it depends on your area and the fact its in a shop, id charge about £100 to make that. Look for dressmakers in your area and show them the picture and see how much they could do it for. Its lovely by the way. Has given me ideas for the 2 potential flower girls i have now aquired on top of my 3 adult bridesmaids!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Not sure above the cost, but I like the dress very much!

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content

It's the first dress I've seen for her that I really like and now I've seen it I WANT IT!!!!! lol. Ok, thanks for the help. I'll have to get a couple of quotes.

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

That is a beautifull dress i do hope someone is able to help you out x x

• S
    Beginner
    Sheasey ·
    • Hide content

Does anyone know how much a wedding dress costs when you go direct to a dressmaker and not through a store or website?

I don't want to pay full whack for something stunning, and I think a lot of the pre-loved dresses are still overpriced.

Thx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics