Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Skeptical78
Beginner September 2013

How 'Non Religious' does Registry Office music have to be.....?

Skeptical78, 16 of December of 2012 at 13:48 Posted on Planning 0 12

I really love this Mumford and Sons song and would like to have it played at our registry office wedding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLnmJYI6FSE

However, the chorus has the lines 'Praise the Lord, Glory Halleluljah!'.....would this be considered 'religious', even though it's not a religious song...?! If I kept it quiet, do you think they'd notice....?!!

It's probably slightly less controversial than my original choice; 'Love Spreads' by the Stone Roses...! ?

12 replies

Latest activity by Chris Giles Photography, 17 of December of 2012 at 16:20
  • Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, i honestly thought anything remotely religious was not allowed but I cant find anything on google ?

edit to add NOT!! whoops

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I used music that contained the occasional 'Oh Lord' with no problem. However, the context of that song and the faith position of the band are manifestly NOT religious.

I agree that the song you have picked is, in itself, not religious. However, the lyrics you quote are more clearly a religious statement than in my choice, and many would consider Mumford And Sons to be an explicitly Christian band, singing many songs about faith etc. I really think this could be down to how your registrar interprets it and how lenient they are feeling.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the feedback and I get what you're saying...but there's also a line in the song "he made you ride b*tch, and stripped you of your pride...." Perhaps I can use that to counter the 'religious' argument..?! Not a very 'Christian' sentiment!! ?

S'pose I should just talk to them and see what they think. I bet you could find a religious context in a million songs if you looked hard enough!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Agree with footlong. It is often a judgement call from your particular registrar.

Personally, I wouldn't mention it to them specifically - when they ask for your song choices write it down. If they have a problem with it you'll have to choose another one.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if this is normal registrar behaviour, but ours asked for copies of the lyrics for all our ceremony music...

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Ours also asked for our playlist so that they could google lyrics. It really is a judgement call of each individual registry office.

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea but just wanted to say I love that song!!! And literally perfect for a wedding. Me and h2b are diehard mumford fans and we'd love to just have their songs playing all day and night on our wedding day but dont think our guests would enjoy that haha!! Did you catch them live? We went to two shows, ipswich & the o2.... the o2 one was on tuesday and was literally the best night of my life! we were so close!

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

We have to give them the lyrics in writing so they can check so that wouldn't get through. You can have something (at the registrar's discretion) like 'oh my god', which obviously isn't religious but I don't see how you can say that 'praise the lord' isn't religious.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

agree

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Blondilocks ·
    • Hide content

I agree too. I read somewhere that some registrars won't even allow words like angel so I guess it all depends on each office as to how strict they are.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

PANTS.

Is all I have to say.

Thanks for the advice though; guess it's back to the drawing board!!

?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

It can depend on the registrar and yes the words cannot contain any reference even as vague as Angles (Robbi Williams) it is very strict and originally formed part of the agreement with the church in order for the civil ceremony to come about.

You could try and trick the registrar but do you want to risk a scene, as some can be very much "by the book"

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I have never once had a registry office wedding where there was anything religious played.

Worse I had was Wilson Philips and 'Hold On' which in itself wasn't bad but the bride insisted it be played all the way through before the ceremony started...which was hilarious.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics