Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lc93
Beginner September 2016

How on earth did you choose your colour scheme?!

lc93, 5 of April of 2014 at 17:43 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hi all - I know I've still got a long way to go yet 'til W-Day, but I was discharged from hospital yesterday after surgery and I'm recuperating and feeling sorry for myself, so indulging in some wedding planning!

My biggest problem is I can't even begin to decide on a colour scheme. I'd sort of assumed I'd base it on the colour we go for in bridemaids dresses, but having had a browse there is such a ridiculously massive choice I dont even know how to choose!

Any tips on how to choose a colour would be greatly appreciated.

27 replies

Latest activity by MrsCWB, 9 of April of 2014 at 21:07
  • LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I'm going white, black and red even though I'm wanting a winter theme, try researching some ideas. I know there's a mood board feature on here which has really helped me.

Pastel colours go really well for spring weddings, hot pinks/oranges for a summer wedding, and colours like red are good for autumn.

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    sarahl2691 ·
    • Hide content

Been thinking about it for months and have gone from cadbury purple to some shade of pink! Im still not 100% sure.

Have you looked on pintrest? I've been doing some searching on there to see if anything takes my fancy Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

I knew which colours I didn't want so from there, it was just finding colours I liked and that would suit my bridesmaids - I didn't want them in colours that didn't suit them. I changed my mind quite a few times though and have decided on blue.

• Suzie88
    Beginner August 2014
    Suzie88 ·
    • Hide content

Hope you are ok!

Colour scheme: we don't have one! We were thinking of having one, and then we decided to have a day theme and the colours just kind of fitted around it. (Were having a travel theme - because we love to travel and our house is full of travel paraphernalia and maps, so have antique maps in the gold/bronze and then modern maps in the green/blue, girls are dressed in turquoise - same colour as one of our globe seas, and men are in light grey - it actually goes really well!)

But honestly, I think a colour scheme is something that evolves. If you like a colour and find dresses/flowers etc in it, then thats fab, but it doesn't all have to match IMO!

Have you got a venue? Because that could affect your colour scheme. Our venue has a lot of marble/gold/dark wood, and I think a few colours really wouldn't work.

Also, time of year - winter is traditionally darker colours - deep blues, purples, reds, and summer tends to be pastels/brights.

Ultimately, talk to your partner, what colours do you like? Would they look good on you? Because if your bms are close to you in that colour and it doesn't suit you, then that is probably a no go! Think about the style of wedding you want - rustic weddings tend to suit earthy/pastel colours for example.

But ultimately, I honestly think that when you find the perfect dresses, you will just know.

• broganj
    Dedicated January 2017
    broganj ·
    • Hide content

I've decided I want to wear a yellow dress and OH said he wants a grey suit (our bridesmaids are wearing white) and we just decided to use those colours as our scheme.

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

We chose dark green to go with my family tartan

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks everyone!

Its a september wedding, and the venue does have lots of dark wood and red wine coloured carpets (really not keen on red for some reason!) I'm quite pale skinned with blonde hair, both BM's are also quite pale (one blonde one brunette) Current thoughts are navy/deep blue (with brighter flowers etc, maybe yellow?) dusky pink, I had considered a turqoisey colour as it's always looked good on me but now you've mentioned the venue it may clash with the carpet - hadn't thought of that!

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

We chose by a process of elimination: I wrote a list of my favourite flowers, and my partner wrote a list of his favourite colours, then we compared them to find matches: any colours he liked but that you couldn't get flowers that colour were off the list, any flowers I like that only come in colours he doesn't were off the list. (Although I was lucky as his only real rule was NO PINK!)

Once we had our short-list we went to our bridesmaid and asked her if there were any colours on our list that she felt strongly either wouldn't suit her or that she really didn't like. Then repeated the process for the groomsmen.

We were then left with a shortlist of 3 colours we knew everyone was happy with, and used all 3 to search for bridesmaids dresses. Once we'd found 'the dress' we chose flowers in a colour to complement it (from our original colour list) and voila, we have a colour scheme!

The bridal party will be in a pale, earthy green shade, with flowers in a variety of shades of purple highlighted with the occasional sunflower to give the pastel shades a bit of pop!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

We diddnt really have one. We just stated buying wedding bits we liked and then a theme came out of it. So we started with our save the dates which were pink and polka dot like. We then bought my dress which was champagne and pink, mrminis suit was brown and from there we ended up with our mish mash brown, champagne, pink and polka dot vintage tea cup theme.

• Curlysuzie
    Beginner September 2014
    Curlysuzie ·
    • Hide content

I took my BM's shopping and got them to try on loads of different colours and picked which colours suited them the best. It was a choice between green and purple, my h2b decided he didn't want green, apparently when we have our photos they will blend into the grass...!, so purple it is!

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

My advice to you is not to worry about making final decisions too quickly. I've been engaged over two years now and have changed major decisions a few times because we rushed into them at the start. Think carefully about the time of year, the colouring of your bridesmaids and whether you want subtle or bright x

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Hi, hope you are recovering well Smiley smile At first we decided on plum and champagne/light gold, but since that has all changed! We have decided, because our wedding is going to have a hint of steam punk to it, that it would be better suited to go with reds, dusty orange, browns, bronze, golds etc. Autumn colours basically. (This has also made me want an autumn October wedding as opposed to the original August one)! Perhaps rather than picking just one main colour, you could go for a range that complements each other. I think that during the planning the colour sheme will fall into place, you can have as many colours as you want! HTH Smiley smile

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

I don't really have a colour scheme!

I have one bridesmaid, my sister, and asked her to choose what colour she wanted to wear. She chose navy blue so there are now little hints of navy blue throughout our wedding, but really not that many! I'm just sticking with an ivory colour for most things!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

We never really chose a colour scheme but Mr Foo chose a blue suit and grey tie, then I saw some silver/grey shoes with yellow lining and bought them, so it made sense to have our daughter in a yellow dress with blue cardi and our son will be wearing a yellow and grey bow tie! I have seen yellow and grwy boutonnieres on etsy too. So it just kind of evolved.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Aw hope it wasn't anything bad Smiley sad

I chose my favorite colour purple.

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

My favourite colour is pink so everyone knew it was always going to be pink. I ruled out lots of venues based on their carpet clashing with my pink! Then I found gorgeous mint green bm dresses and after being gutted they didn't come in pink, realises these colours go well together! So it's now mint green with hints of pink - I'm not bothered which shade. Was watching 4 weddings with h2b the other day and he said 'our wedding has better not look like that' - a big pink affair! So after a touch of nerves about not going with my beloved pink I think I made the right choice ?

• T
    Beginner November 2014
    tiptopbride ·
    • Hide content

Before we started planning I was adamant I wanted Navy/Blue. Then we chose our venue and I realised blue would clash with the decor so we're now having red. I was massively against red at first but I've picked a burgundy colour with ivory, there'll just be little flashes of red on the tables, in flowers etc. It also helps we're having a Christmas themed wedding at the end of Nov so red fits well. ?

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I posted a similar question not so long ago and I think I might have finally decided. For us we began with a thought of having a Japanese theme to the decs as that's where we plan to honeymoon (nothing OTT, just subtle such as japanese lanterns, cherry blossom on the invites etc.). Even though I'm not a massive fan of pink, it made sense to have pink featuring somewhere because of the cherry blossom thing. Then someone very helpful on hitched recommended this site: http://www.theperfectpalette.com/ and I learned that navy blue is a good contrast for pink. I can definitely see my OH in a navy suit, so I think we've found our colours which are pink, navy and white, although I'm not sure what kind of pink yet, I love coral but this isn't really a cherry blossom type colour.

• Z
    Beginner June 2014
    Zoe2326 ·
    • Hide content

Firstly I hope you're ok and recovering well from your op! My advice would be to look at your venue and see what colours will work well with its interior, I know so many people that go with their favourite colour and then on the day are disappointed on the day because they hadn't considered the fact that the carpets green, the walls are yellow, the men are wearing navy and the girls are wearing pink! Then consider your theme, the time of year and of course yours and h2bs personality. Once you have a base colour in mind you can find a tone that suits your BM's and co-ordinates with the suit colour H2B would want to wear...My friends laughed at me because I ruled out most venues based on their carpets, curtains etc but in my mind it was an important decision that would influence my whole colour scheme and being a designer things that don't look right aesthetically really peeve me. Lol. X

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

We had a range of colours in mind, in a palette of darker/richer shades given the time of year, and went with the colour/ style of dress that looked good on our bridesmaids and are building the scheme around that!

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

Purple is my favourite colour, the kilt H wears has purple in so we went with that. My dress was navy blue so we added that too! Overall there was purple, blue and silver in little bits.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, really hope you're feeling better and recuperating well!

I always knew my wedding would feature some shade of red - it's my favourite colour and always has been and it suits my colouring best and my bridesmaid's as she is my daughter and pretty much the image of me lol. I then typed in red wedding ideas into pinterest and built my board from that, chose lots of dresses that fitted the bill and then went searching - I've ended up with merlot/burgundy which I absolutely love and I've teamed it with ivory because I think it's classic and goes well. So my advice is to get on pinterest and start looking for colour boards - one will catch your eye and you'll fall in love x

• Jens Hand Crafted Stationery
    Jens Hand Crafted Stationery ·
    • Hide content

I love teal so always knew I'd go with that.

I also wanted a shade of green having quite an outdoorsy wedding but I wanted it to be more vibrant than blend in.

x

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Picked my favourite colour...simple as that ?

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

H2B assumed we would be having purple, as that's my favourite colour, but a close family friend's son is getting married just after us and they chose purple. I didn't want comparisons made. So, I asked everyone I knew would be good with colours to choose a colour based around our autumn theme. I wrote them all down and then picked out 3 or 4 that I particularly liked. Then, I asked H2B to choose his favourite of those. He happened to chose the one I liked the most (after I told him that we could NOT have all 3 colours plus ivory) and so we went with that. Burnt orange it is Smiley laugh

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics