Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

how to afford a wedding & a new house...

HappyGreenDecor947, 15 of October of 2017 at 19:54 Posted on Planning 0 6

My fiance wants us to get a house before the wedding but he said as well that in doing so would push the wedding back and wants to buy a cheap car too.

We already rent a house and both have a Help to Buy ISA, which we will be adding into it after we sort Christmas presents out.

My original "date" for the wedding would have been July 8th 2020 (We got together on July 8th 2016)

I earn £1,000 or a little more (but not too much more) a month though I'm hoping in my new job that this figure will be a little higher.

My bills come to around £512ish and a little more sometimes.

I was thinking of a £10,000 budget for the wedding as I'm happy to purchase most of the decorations cheaply from Ebay & do our own invites etc.

I was just wondering if any one has any tips to be able to afford both or to save a little towards the wedding or if you have any ideas to do the wedding cheaply...

Thank you.

6 replies

Latest activity by Spleksi, 19 of May of 2022 at 18:12
  • S
    Beginner November 2018
    SunnyGoldHair679 ·
    • Hide content

Hello! What an exciting (and equally stressful!) time!

I was in a similar position to you. We got engaged in 2015 but as we were renting at the time we decided that it would be sensible to invest our savings in to the house first and then setting a date once we moved in. At this stage in summer 2015 I thought, 'woohoo we can buy a house and move in for New Year'... HA! It took us a year to actually find a house we liked and to make matters worse we (somehow!) ended up choosing one which required renovations. We got the keys in September but didn't actually move in until the March but I didn't want to wait around as it had already felt like a lifetime so I started looking at venues straight away. We had used all of our savings on the house and the refurbishment and so any money for the wedding would be determined by how much we could save until our date, so we set a budget for the wedding by doing a spreadsheet and working out how much we could afford to save each month *multiplied by the amount of months until we get married. I knew that Summer 2018 was out the window and I didn't want to leave it much later so i went for an Autumn date in November next year. This gave us approximately 19 months of saving + donations that parents and that was our budget. We are both fortunate to be in quite well paid jobs so it still leaves us with a generous amount to spend so we should be able to be within our budget.

In terms of budget if you think that even if you both each set aside 100 a month (you didn't mention your partners ability to save so assuming he can) - by time your original date comes around (July 2020) that gives you 30 months (if you ignore nov and dec this year) - so a budget of £6,200 - which is a good budget - especially if you plan to do a lot of DIY and by even increasing to £150 each that would be £9K. Completely doable without breaking the bank Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner May 2019
    April2018Bride ·
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I still live with my mum & step dad as we live in London and as the cost of housing here is so high we had to make the decision to get married before buying, plus after being together for 7.5 years I've waited long enough Smiley winking It's a decision that has raised some eyebrows and one which isn't ideal if I'm honest as who wants to live with their parents as newlyweds , but there was no way that we could afford to do both and as our mortgage will be so much I doubt that we could afford to save for a wedding once we're on the property ladder. Trying to get married & buy a house at the same time is no easy feat nowadays especially as it can take a long time to actually get on the property ladder in the first place. If your partner is keen to buy before you get married I guess you need to work out how much this is going to cost before you can start planning the wedding- I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to book a venue or anything until you've bought the house so you'd need to factor that into your plans as some venues get booked 1-1.5 years in advance. You can definitely do the wedding for £10k if you plan on doing a lot of it yourselves.

Sorry if thats a bit of a rambling reply, I think it's very common to be in this position and everyone has a different take on what you should do first.

• H
    Beginner
    HappyGreenDecor947 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both for your reply.

I'm hoping my new job pays a little more. I never thought of the budget like that...that makes it more achievable. I guess I'm just looking at the big huge horrifiying number rather than thinking about it rationally.

My partner has a lot more savings than I do... I don't have any savings right now but I got a bit left in the bank.

After Christmas Is done I plan on just save save saving.

We're quite lucky that we've both got a help to buy ISA which hopefully I'll be putting the max of £200 in as well as £100-£150 for the wedding.

• W
    Beginner November 2017
    Willows2B ·
    • Hide content

I think it's doable but you should definitely think about the stress levels as I know that friends who have bought houses at the same time as planning a wedding have found it quite difficult. We decided to go with getting married before we start saving for a house (we have been together for 8 years though so I felt that was more urgent haha), and we'll start saying after we come back from the honeymoon.

• Lolana9
    Beginner June 2022 East Central London
    Lolana9 ·
    • Hide content

Hello, my husband and I after the wedding want to move into a new house, which our parents gave us. The money for the repairs we have saved up on our own and now it is very important for us to do everything qualitatively, since we will stay here for a couple of years)so we are looking for good repair suggestions for us!

• Spleksi
    Beginner August 2023 Monmouthshire
    Spleksi ·
    • Hide content

It would be fun to real how everything worked out. Did you manage to do everything at once? This seems tough, but I believe you have managed, and now you have both a house and a car.
    Thinking of myself, I would probably save money on the wedding. It is much more important to have a nice car to drive and a nice house to live in than one stressful day that I will earn half of your savings. But it’s about me, and I don’t even have a partner yet. We’ll see what I will say when I get married.
    I already have some plans for the house: not really big, but with nice planning from boutiquehomeplans.com , everything fits perfectly, and there is a place for everything.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics