Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2011

How to ask for wedding gift contributions

Missmeeru, 16 December, 2010 at 19:00 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi I would just like to know how to word how to ask for honeymoon contributions as a wedding gift without sounding cheeky as myself and Husband to be live together and we dont require any bottom drawer gifts! Thanks Claire

13 replies

Latest activity by AmnesiaCustard, 17 December, 2010 at 15:25
  • May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

We are having a wooden wishing well on the day and will put a poem in the invites like this:

The tradition of the wishing well,
    Is one that's known by all.
    Go to the well, toss in a coin
    And as the coin does fall.
    Make a wish upon that coin,
    And careful as you do.
    Cause as the well's tradition goes,
    Your wishes will come true.

So on this special day or ours,
    The day that we'll be wed.
    Don't hunt for special gifts
    But give money is it's stead.
    And as you drop the envelope,
    With money great and small,
    Remember, make your wish
    As you watch your money fall

• MrsBarnett2b
    Beginner
    MrsBarnett2b ·
    • Hide content

Id just write something like:

As you all know we have been living together for 'x number' of years and therefore have everything we need. If you would still like to give us a gift for our future together then money towards our honeymoon would enable us to make it extra special

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

This is what we have written with regard to gifts

We are not expecting gifts but should you wish to contribute something then we would appreciate a donation to our honeymoon pot! We are planning on going on honeymoon in October so who knows where we will go? (we are getting married in august but having a delayed honeymoon and having a few days in the family caravan straight after)

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would do it like this too. I personally don't like the money poems.

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    Missmeeru ·
    • Hide content

I would just like to say a massive than you for all your lovely ideas....

you've helped me a lot xxxxx

• PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content

Can I also suggest that you "could" get a wedding gift list set up with Trailfinders and they send out gift list cards much the same as John Lewis or Debenhams would. Your guests then have a choice of either 'chipping in' or buying you experiences that could make your honeymoon even more special

x

• W
    WedMeUp ·
    • Hide content

Id be annoyed by some kind of cheesy poem which basically tries to mask the fact you are asking for money. I would prefer the direct approach and wouldn't really have a problem with it, although I would moan to my partner about it coz I like to maon. But if you just asked nicely and honestly due to your circumstances, people have a choice to donate as much r as little as they want and is probably cheaper than gifts...

How you'd collect the money I would be interested to find out...

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I typed this up last night to go in with our invites...

The biggest and most enjoyable present you could give either of us is your attendance at our special day.

As you know we have lived together for a number of years and have everything we need for our house.

However if you would like to honour us with a gift then we are requesting contributions toward our Honeymoon which we would be delighted to receive.

You can do this by visiting www.firstchoice.co.uk and quoting this reference:

"Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing." - Goethe

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Most of the people coming to our daughters wedding knew that they have lived together for 3 years and have most things they need for the house so were quite happy to donate to their honeymoon without the need for asking. So they got free leaflets printed up by Trailfinders who they opened their honeymoon account with. They sent them 100 leaflets with their names and wedding date on and details of how guests could donate if they wanted to. Edited to say that they sent the leaflets out with the invites.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

My friend had a wishing well at her wedding and sent a note in the invite saying

Because at first we lived in sin

We've got the sheets and rubbish bin!

A gift from you would be swell

But we'd prefer a donation to our wishing well.

Smiley smile

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't mention gifts in ours at all and people have been sending us cheques.

A few people asked if there was a gift list, we said our parents could help with ideas, but not to fret about it.

Dunno if that helps

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

We're in the same situation, but we want a new kitchen for a wedding present! We'll add a note with the invites saying that we don't have a gift list but if they'd like to give us something we'd appreciate Ikea voucher or cash towards the new kitchen. And we'll be setting up a postbox at the reception with a picture from the planning gizmo to show peole what they're contributing to.

For honeymoon there are several 'gift list' people, http://www.1bigpresent.co.uk/ , https://www.honeyfund.com:443/, https://www.buy-our-honeymoon.com/ are all popular, or just google 'honeymoon fund'.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Personally I really don't like the poems or the wishing well idea and would probably not give money if I was asked in this way. It offends me! I'd much prefer a straightforward ask, preferably knowing what the money was going towards, especially if wedding related like the honeymoon.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics