Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsG_to_be
Beginner July 2015

How to avoid a boring lull before the reception kicks off?

MrsG_to_be, 30 of April of 2015 at 13:11 Posted on Planning 0 8

We aren't having additional guests to the evening so it's just 53 people all day. I think most of the day will flow quite well but we have about an hour or slightly longer after the dinner and speeches where nothing really happens until the first dance kicks off the evening part and the band plays. It is a July wedding so still be light outside and I'm wondering if we need to plan something more than just mingling around and drinking? We have lawn games outside but the guests will have already played with these during the 90min cocktails and canapés bit earlier in the day. I'm hoping to have a photo booth that won't be accessibly until after dinner but not sure that is enough? I don't want guests to be bored waiting around for the dancing but I don't really want to start the dancing that early either as it would be just after a three course meal and most people will prefer to wait until they've had a bit more to drink I'd imagine!

Mid there anything else we could offer? I don't think I could afford it but I read a suggestion of having a dance teacher show everyone a few moves like line dancing (it's on a farm) or something silly! Any suggestions or should I not stress about occupying everyone for what will most likely be an hour?

thanks

8 replies

Latest activity by MrsG_to_be, 30 of April of 2015 at 17:22
  • bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Will people be checking into hotels or anything? If not an hour will fly by anyway with people chatting and drinking. They've stil got the games to keep the occupied, will you have a guest book to fill in as well? That always takes me ages to decide what to write. I wouldn't worry about having anything else.

• C
    Beginner
    Cece100 ·
    • Hide content

Will the venue need everyone to vacate the room after dinner to move some tables? If this is the case everyone mingling outside (or inside if raining ☹️) will be fine they will understand what is going on and will just get themselves a drink and have a chat. I find if you let people know what is going on (ask your master of ceremony or ushers to make an announcement) they are quite content and like you say its summer and light so they can entertain themselves, have a wonder round your venue a little perhaps?

Another suggestion is to spread things out a little more during the first half of the day. I appreciate you may not be able to delay the ceremony it self and If you don't want to bring the first dance forward (which i agree with you on that) you could ask to serve the wedding breakfast 10 minutes later than already planned, have a slightly longer delay between serving the different courses of food (by about 5 minutes not ages!) take a bit longer cutting your cake or take an extra 5/10 minutes taking photos. When it is all added up it will eat into the hour you have spare.

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

We have the same thing... I think its too easy to over-think things because we want it to be perfect!

People will be more than happy to relax with a drink and mingle for an hour or so without needing entertainment. I think there is far too much pressure to have it all on your wedding day. Most people are just happy to be there for the celebration of your marriage! It sounds like you have lots going on so I would leave them to their own devices!

• MrsG_to_be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsG_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls, I think I am just overthinking because it's all sorted now so I've got two months of idle time analysing everything I've sorted! It's so hard not to get carried away. Looking at all the lovely blogs, I was even tempted to scrap the whole theme and start fresh with a new colour palette. Know when to stop woman!! I'm sure it will be fine and my family are big drinkers so I'll just point them towards the bar. Thanks again!

• Lady Zith
    Lady Zith ·
    • Hide content

To be honest if they've not long eaten, the idea of an hour to sit, digest, chill out & drink without feeling like an 'activity' is going on is probably exactly what people need! That way they can recharge their batteries before the dancing kicks off. Sounds perfect to me!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

The guests are usually happy sitting around chatting. Many go to their rooms for a rest, to change or check in.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

We had about 1h45min lull between the end of the meal and our evening reception. We just stuck some choons on in the bar, told people it was their time to mooch about, view the art (we got married in an art centre), get changed, have a power nap, whatever. I've not heard of anyone who complained or looked bored.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Also people can entertain themselves with a guest book or similar. And what sort of theme are you having if any? We had a Japanese inspired wedding so had an origami making table which went down well.

• MrsG_to_be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsG_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Ooh origami is a fab thing - I'd have loved that if I was your guest! We do have a guest book and advice tree (tags to write advice on and hang up), plus the photobooth so I think that will be fine. the immediate family are staying at the venue so can pop back to their rooms to freshen up (my mum wants to change into a second outfit anyway actually)! And it's a rustic theme on a farm so lots of pretty countryside and horses to go and pet. I'm not going to plan anything else. I know I'm going to want to just chill out and chat to people before I get dancing! thanks

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics