Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Autumnroseee
Dedicated December 2022

How to deal with fussy bridesmaids?

Autumnroseee, 8 July, 2012 at 16:39 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hey everyone,
was just wondering how you chose your bridesmaid dresses?

one of my bridesmaids will wear anything I put her in, the other one has a list of rules I have to follow...
Luckily I'm only having two, how did you agree on dresses? Smiley smile x

14 replies

Latest activity by Vintage84, 13 July, 2012 at 18:11
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

If you're paying, you decide. Provided, of course, that you are sensitive to the BM's wishes (not toeing the line, just sensitive). As in, if she wants a long dress due to religious etc reasons, then a mini skirt would be insensitive. I'm sure anyone can put up with a dress for one day. If they are paying, then they have more say, naturally, since they may want to wear the dress again.

• Sarah-March-2013
    Beginner March 2013
    Sarah-March-2013 ·
    • Hide content

I had the exact same as you. 2 BMs, one easy going, one errr.. demanding. I just smiled sweetly and was very non commital to everything she said, trying to bide my time until we went to try on. Funnily enough once everyone was there she was happy as could be to go along with a dress that was the polar opposite of what she was telling me she would only wear. Sometimes its easy to say things without actually meaning them x

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

If she's being unreasonable about a perfectly nice dress, tell her that unless she bucks up, you'll put her in the archetypal pistachio-coloured ruffled monstrosity ?

• Autumnroseee
    Dedicated December 2022
    Autumnroseee ·
    • Hide content

Well what it is, I started looking at knee length kind of 50 style dresses... I mentioned it to my bridesmaid and the fussy one said that she can't wear knee length...
    As I hate my legs I gathered that it was probably because she didn't want to show her legs... so I found a maxi style dress... I showed it to her and she told me she can't wear a long dress because it would make her look short and round, because she's short.
    So she asked me to opt for something above the knee, but I can't find anything that looks bridesmaid?
    I'm buying the dresses.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

If you are paying then I think you need to try a different tactic. Find a few dresses you like, have your BMs try them on and give them options between those you have chosen. I think with someone fussy, you have to stop asking her what she thinks/wants or she could have you running around like a headless chicken trying to find a dress that might not exist!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This, she can't realistically expect you to find a minidress that still looks bridesmaid-y. I would also say "why don't you have a look online and let me know if you find anything suitable"...she might surprise you and find something suitable, or it might make her realise her demands are a bit unrealistic.

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

When I got married both my bridesmaids had rather large boobies. I knew they would feel uncomfortable with a strapless dress or something that they could not were a bra with. Apart from that they wore what I told them to. ? It's your day not theirs. They are there to support you, I would remind her of this!

• Autumnroseee
    Dedicated December 2022
    Autumnroseee ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree with what you're all saying. I'm just thinking the day is about me and my OH getting married and not about what length the bridesmaid dresses are, I'm fed up of stressing out about it, I'm not surprised why people elope, it's meant to be a very small wedding anyway so I don't even know why I'm worrying about the length of the dresses!!!

Totally taking away what all this is about!! x

• Autumnroseee
    Dedicated December 2022
    Autumnroseee ·
    • Hide content

I agree with this also, only thing is she's not really "short" I'm 5'4" and she's a few inches taller than me... I'd say around 5'6" which as far as I know is actually above average height? x

• Flukey35
    Beginner July 2013
    Flukey35 ·
    • Hide content

I have 4 bridesmaids all different heights from 5ft 4" to 5ft 10" and a size 8 to a size 16, rather than get involved in the I want I want (which my sister was the culpret, everyone else was just really please to be asked and would have worn anything), I bought 4 beautiful dress and sent them the link on the house of fraser website telling them I'd bought them.

Three of them were estatic as they are gorgeous and 1 of them (my sis surprise surprise), found fault with everything and refused to try it on.

I very calmly said "you don't have to wear it, I will send it back", she stopped moaning and been fine since.

If you are paying don't give people the chance to mess you about - they will, buy what you want them to wear.

I don't want my girls looking anything other than sensational, which they will.

Good luck xxx

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I don't think a full length dress necessarily makes you look short. If it's shapeless then yes, but an empire line dress can give the illusion of height. I'm only 5ft and happily wore a full length bridesmaid dress last year.

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• Autumnroseee
    Dedicated December 2022
    Autumnroseee ·
    • Hide content

Hey everyone in case you were wondering I've decided on a dress and I've ordered it so they'll have to just deal with it!
    I got a knee length "twist and wrap" dress so they have the dress and colour I want but they can change it and be unique in their own way!
    I refuse to discuss it any further than that! haha x

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Good for you!!! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics