Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lauralil
Beginner September 2010

How to deal with the two dads issue?

lauralil, 25 September, 2009 at 11:59 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hey everyone Smiley smile

I was hoping to get some advice on this and I'm sure there are brides to be going through the same.

I consider myself very lucky to have 2 Dads, I have a stepdad too whom I have called Dad for many years. Problem is they really dislike each other so I think I'm going to have to make some difficult decisions as they won't be able to discuss splitting the responsibilities.

How do you decide? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

As it stands my Stepdad is contributing to the wedding, about 10% of the final cost but my biological father is unemployed. He is a high earner when he is contracting so there is a strong possibility he will be able to contribute at a later date. So I don't want financial contribution to play a part yet as this damn recession has left my Dad without work, its not his fault.

I have spoken to them both and they're both saying its my decision and they'll do what I want, and ideally I'd like to have them both do the same....one on each arm walking me down the aisle and both of them can make a speech. But is this silly of me to think this is an option?

I'm a bit confused!

Laura x

8 replies

Latest activity by anglefish, 25 September, 2009 at 22:46
  • Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Looking from the outside you look like you're in a better situation than some. Although they dislike each other it sounds like they both have your best interest at heart and are willing to compromise by saying you decide. You obviously feel that they are both your dads so why not treat them the same. I think your suggestion is ideal for your situation.

Dare to be different!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I don't think its's a silly idea at all, and think it would be great. I think it would be best for them to share the things together so that there will be no feelings of jealousy or anything.

• lauralil
    Beginner September 2010
    lauralil ·
    • Hide content

Yes at the moment they both seem to be ok with everything but I do worry about it all still knowing what they are both like, and their opinions on each other.

I guess one problem of who sits in the car to the church is avoided as we are having a 1 venue wedding and will be able to just walk together from my room to the ceremony.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of one on each arm and two speeches. How about one walk your little girl down the aisle? (please tell me you have a little girl and i've not got you confused!) x

• lauralil
    Beginner September 2010
    lauralil ·
    • Hide content

Hey Claire, Well I thought about this and the dress isn't really that big without a petticoat under haha And then I thought we can just move the chairs so that the aisle is a bit wider

yes you did answer your own question Smiley winking hehe

xx

• A
    Beginner December 2010
    anglefish ·
    • Hide content

Hi laura

its so nice to here someone else is having the same issues as me (hope that sounds ok) i thought i was alone. i am in the same situation and do not know what to do.

i speak to my step dad more then my dad i called my dad the other day and he said ok i will give u a call about meeting up next week that was a month ago and still waiting for the call this always happens and i end up calling him. it doesnt bother him but does me. he says he will do things and doesnt, but he is my dad and even though he annoys me i do love him its such a hard desiion to make as to who does what.

i thought dad could walk me down isle and other could do speech

or both as you said

or neither which i dont want to do

or dad doen isle and both do a speech its so confusing let us know what you decide im still stressing over the situation myself sorry im going on now lol sorry xx

• lauralil
    Beginner September 2010
    lauralil ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Smiley smile

Yeah it is comforting to know someone else is going through the same!

I spoke to both my dads today and it was agreed that they will do whatever I want, and very happily too. So they are both walking me down the aisle and both making a speech. They both have their faults, and I have forgiven them both in the past for being crap fathers at times...but I want them both to have a big role on the day.

Have you thought about speaking to them both and expressing your concerns?

x

• A
    Beginner December 2010
    anglefish ·
    • Hide content

I have thought about it but im scared ha ha my step dad has already told my mum that he doent expect to play any role but i want him to because he has been a big part of my life to its so hard.

i may just have to bite the bullet and speak to my dad and say i want them both to do something and see how he feels.

im so pleased you have sorted it out and its nice to know were not alone lol xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics