Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Beginner October 2025 Powys

How to deal with wedding-envy?

Stephanie, 4 of October of 2023 at 21:03 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 9
I'm aware this could give me some backlash - please keep in mind I want to do better, it's why I wanted to ask this question. I don't want to be an entitled person, making the situation stressful for anyone - or myself.

So my fiancé and I are getting married in October '25. My cousin just told us that she will be getting married a few weeks before us.

Mine is clearly inferior on paper, being a hotel venue VS a huge, beautiful church. They have more money so can afford fancy decorating/catering whereas my fiancé and I cannot despite our savings. I KNOW our weddings will constantly be compared and now I'm scared some of my family may drop out of my day because they need to financially recover from Cousins.

I want to be happy for her, to be excited to spend the day celebrating her and her fiancé, but I can't help but feel sore. Obviously my announcement must have stirred some ideas, since she admitted herself they hadn't thought of anything before I made the date announcement. I want to believe it wasn't done on purpose, but the more toxic side of my thoughts think there's some venom going on here, something I know I need to work on to move past it.

I don't like feeling like this, I'm so aware of how it makes me sound; childish, entitled, spoiled.

How, if you felt it, did you guys deal with your own wedding envy and the hurt that comes with it? I'm trying to remind myself that it's about me and my fiancé, our little family and how the day is about us sharing our love - but then I remember that my wedding isn't going to be as good, will be compared since they are so very close together and I WILL be reminded me of that by others and I feel deflated and saddened by it. That my day will be greatly overshadowed. It doesn't help that its rather clear to me the rest of the family are more excited by hers.

Please be kind, I'm beating myself up over this more than it sounds.

9 replies

Latest activity by HYEAW, 7 of October of 2023 at 15:22
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Who decides what is a 'good' wedding and what is not? I've been to some super-cheap budget ones that were awesome and some super-expensive glitzy ones that I couldn't wait to leave. Thinking back over all the weddings I've been to, what stands out are the things that don't cost money - the love that the couple have for each other, the joy of celebrating with them, the funny little things that go wrong and make everyone laugh, the touching moments that make everyone cry... You honestly don't have to spend a huge amount of money to have the most amazing time - as long as your guests have enough to eat and aren't physically uncomfortable, what matters is the people.

Which brings me on to my second point - if your wedding is going to be constantly compared unfavourably with your cousin's one, then you seriously need to get yourself a new friendship circle. When you talk about 'your' family being more excited over your cousin's wedding than your own, what 'family' are we talking about? If these are people who are equally related to you both, then fair enough - maybe they feel closer to the other cousin than to you. And if it's her siblings/parents then even more understandable. But if it's your own immediate family who are more excited - parents and siblings - then that sounds really toxic. I'm not saying cut yourself off from them, but what I am saying is that I think you need to spend more time with people who value you for who you are, not for the money you have or the big show you put on. Find people who value you for what really matters and put the majority of your time and energy into those relationships.

As for people needing time to 'recover financially' from your cousin's wedding and so not being able to attend yours, that is rubbish - they have two years to save up for any travel and accommodation costs, and it is going to be no more or less expensive if the weddings were two, three or four months apart. When I was in my 20s, I would go to a wedding every couple of weeks in the summertime, and the only time I missed a wedding was when it landed on the same day as another one. It's not as if everyone is going to find out the week before that they have a wedding to go to - they have plenty of time to budget. Plus, apart from family, presumably most of your friends will be different, so not going to both weddings anyway.

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You bring up very good points - thank you. To clarify, the family I meant was aunties (excluding Cousins mum because naturally she would be more excited for Cousins) and other cousins connected to both of us. But you're right, if they can't manage both in the next 2 years it's clear where they stand.

We have completely different friendship groups so, you're right again, I need to focus on their excitement moreso. Since they genuinely are excited for me/fiancé. It's a much more intimate setting, only 50 people. I would have less but venue says 50 minimum....just hope they accept or I lose the venue 😆
    Thank you for your comment, think it got the best of me emotionally last night when I wrote this. Thanks 😊
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content

Hi Stephanie! Won’t be as good? Why? She has a few more flowers than you? Location? No!! Good is the atmosphere! My friends wedding was in a little community hall I remember the fun we had and the speeches! The tables were just normal school lunch tables if I remember correctly! Sausage and chip butties and a good old cry at the speeches! It was the best day!

People will always comment on your wedding. Let it go over your head. My work colleague said today oh you’re not having a 3 course meal! Everyone will be starving! Ok, if that’s what you think! She didn’t mean it nasty! Everyone has their own thoughts about what a wedding day will look like and make comments when it doesn’t look like there’s! Our amazing friends were getting married a few weeks before us but had to postpone which I’m very sad about but they’re a big posh hotel with a 3 course meal, rooms at £750 on a minimum 2 night stay and ours is a church and a tipi still all glammed up but with festival food and if you want to stay put your tent up!!! Both amazing and both so different!
    If they do start comparing just say if that’s how you feel I can fill your seat no problem, that’ll soon get them thinking! And no, finances are different at the moment with rising costs but they have 2 years to save. My friends are actually putting away £20 a month! They don’t even need that as our drinks are cheap and the food is Ofcourse free but they knew the strain and that’s what they’re doing so they don’t miss it! Our friends wedding that’s been postponed my fiancé is saving for it now as the stag is well way more expensive than I would ever pay but he wants to be there!
    I can’t say I’ve had wedding envy but I did get annoyed at a bride who asked about what food we were having (I know it’s a business but our venue has never had it before) and I just said casually who it was and then they booked their wedding there and are using the same food people as us, Before us, hahah and that made me realize don’t share your ideas!!! So maybe that’s the advice I would give!
    Try and shake this off, your wedding is still so special no matter where, how much, how many people etc!!!! Remember it’s one day we’re planning for and we want it to be perfect but the main thing is your marrying your fiancé for all the right reasons! Not those other people. Enjoy! ❤️
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I'll definitely start telling myself to see things this way! That different doesn't mean worse, and that cheap doesn't mean bad. A mantra for the next 2 years 😆 thank you for your words 😊
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Call it value for money!!! And you spend what you want on your wedding BUT I would rather do it cheaper and nice than spend unnecessary money! You enjoy and everyone is always here!
  • S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is a perfect answer and covers everything that I wanted to say! "People will always comment on your wedding" is such a true phrase.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep! We got criticised at the same time by different people for having a wedding that was too fancy and one that was not fancy enough! Critics will always find something to criticise. Friends will support you whether you have a 3-day reception in a palace for 1,000 people or just go for a burger with your OH after the ceremony.

• S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is a perfect answer too! I'm trying not to get caught up with other people's opinions as they'll have them regardless 😀
  • H
    Beginner July 2023 Hampshire
    HYEAW ·
    • Hide content
    We got married recently with just 2 witnesses and nipped to the pub afterwards for a celebratory drink then home to a takeaway pizza.
    The same week some friends of ours also got married a big 'do' in a hotel and the whole works.
    We're oldies and they're in their 20s.Both of us couples are equally married and by contrast we each had the perfect day respectively. It's not just about the wedding. It's your commitment to each other and the future. Make it your day, your way. All the best Xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics