Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner July 2018

How to get a designer dress at low cost?

Ivana123, 3 of October of 2017 at 12:50 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all,

I recently got engaged and am now diving into the wedding dresses ... yay ... very excited. I haven't tried anything on, but fell in love with the spanish designer dresses based on pictures: Rosa Clara, Jesus Peiro and Pronovias. I blame a slight pinterest addiction for this. Before I started this whole process, I was very adamant that I cannot possibly justify £2-£3k on a dress to wear only once. So I'd love to find a way how to get it, but for a lot less ...around £800-£1,200. I have no issues at all with second hand or sample dresses and am size 8-10 on the high street and 5'4'' without heels.

The questions is, how do I go about this? Do I go for the boutiques anyway just to figure out what shape ballpark works for me and then take a plunge on ebay/stillwhite? Is there a way to try on these dresses? What can a skilled seamstress do and how do I find one? Lastly, how long would this process take me? As a last resort, if I were to pay full price and sell afterwards - how active is the second hand market - is it realistic to shift these dresses?

Any advice would be appreciated.

6 replies

Latest activity by RomanticPurpleCars986, 13 of October of 2017 at 22:57
  • E
    Beginner October 2017
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti904 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

I went to 4 or 5 wedding dress shops and tried on dresses! None of which I liked! I saw a dress online but it was only available in London and I live in the North, however three days later they were having a sample sale and the dress was in it! So i took the plunge and bought it! It was 1 size too big but I saved a grand! It's costing me £27 to get it altered and £15 for the clean! It costs much more, however my dress isn't traditional so alterations and cleaning can cost a lot for a 'wedding dress', however I explained my dress as 'a dress for a wedding' which they viewed as a normal dress for some reason! Bargain!

Im using a seamstress in a high-end department store as I know its great value and also the store wouldn't want any bad publicity to I expect the dress to arrive immaculate.

There's lots of really skilled seamstresses about but I would ask for recommendations in your area.

I am also the same size and height as you, I would say to remember wedding dresses run small - my dress was labelled as a 12 and it isn't - when it arrived it was more like a 10. When I tried a 12 on in a shop it was more like a 10 too. Actually one 14 was no way a size 14 it was tiny! Also length - the long wedding dresses come in a variety of lengths, even the shortest length was way to long for me and would have fit someone 5'7" , even in heels one dress was way too long, so check that and always ask if the dress has been altered and if so what are the measurements now.

x

• I
    Beginner July 2018
    Ivana123 ·
    • Hide content

Great, thank you. Given that many sample sales are size 12 that should work.

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

I've gone the second hand route and it's pretty much what you suspected.

Try on at a boutique and get a feel for style, silhouette and colour etc.

Once you know what suits you, go online and try to find a bride who's selling what you're after!

I bought from a bride on eBay and got a £1700 Mori Lee dress with matching veil, hoop and dry cleaning for £350. Always ask what height and what heels they wore before you buy x

Sample sales are also a good option if you want to try the dress you're buying on before you pay. Also bear in mind that many boutiques have a "sale rail" of discontinued styles that they are selling for less than usual price.

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

I also forgot to mention wedding outlets! As they don't do the whole "boutique" thing and you buy the dress you try on, they sell them a heck of a lot cheaper.

• R
    Beginner October 2017
    RomanticPurpleCars820 ·
    • Hide content

Search for "off the peg". This means you get the dress that people tried on last season. I got mine for 1/3 of thhe price by doing this. They the do all the alterations do it fits like a glove!

• L
    Beginner
    LuxuriousYellowConfetti847 ·
    • Hide content

I felt similar - I liked the designer dresses I'd seen online but could not afford (let alone justify) their cost. I decided to go to Wed2B (outlet shop) first as their prices are generally under £600 and I wanted to get an idea of styles that looked good on me without accidentally falling deeply in love with a dress I couldn't afford. They also let you stay as long as you want trying on many dresses. No appointments needed but helpful girls to get you into dresses etc.

I actually fell in love with the 6th one I tried on - of course it was one of their most expensive ones at 799 but still much more affordable than most boutiques.. and it was a one off. So I bought it there and then.

So I'd suggest that as a first port of call. Even if you don't find one there you'll find out what suits.

• R
    Beginner August 2018
    RomanticPurpleCars986 ·
    • Hide content

Hey lovely! Congratulations on your engagement!

Have you checked out David's Bridal? They've got a couple of stores in the UK that are amazing. I've just bought a White by Vera Wang dress for 1350 and I love it. They do loads of deals and I was very unlucky to miss out on £500 off mine this week, but hey ho.

They have the more budget-friendly collections from top designers like Vera Wang and Jenny Packham - definitely worth a look!

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics