Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ATB
Beginner August 2014

How to get a ring off swolen finger?

ATB, 12 of July of 2013 at 11:34 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 29

The heat and having eczema meant I couldn't get my e ring on this morning. This happens occasionally so I just put it on the other hand, the finger is slightly larger normally than my left hand but I usually just swap it back later in the day when the swelling has gone down.

Now I have a problem - the finger with the ring on it has swollen up massively, is rock solid and hurting. I've tried running under cold water and lubricating it, as well as elevating it.

Any suggestions?

29 replies

Latest activity by Kjay, 13 of July of 2013 at 16:27
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Is there any wiggle room under the ring at all?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Eek! I could only suggest putting ice on it and then using something greasy which you've already tried. I hope it comes off alright!

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

What about an ice pack on it? Not that convenient if you're at work though!

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

I don't know but if you find out let me know! My ER and WR are stuck on and hurting me. I've tried everything I can think of and they just won't budge.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Nope no wiggle room, there was a little when I was lubricating it but now it's actually getting larger and more solid the more I try.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Ouch that looks painful! I would stop for a while now and see if it will calm down, the more you mess the bigger it will get.

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

I would go to the hospital before that starts cutting off circulation. The will probably cut it off but that's better than having it stuck there and an ever swelling finger x

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

I would try all of those things again, butter is a good lubricant. If still no joy I'm sure there's a trick to try with dental floss (I've never tried it myself though, but it looks plauseable). I'll find a link

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Stuck-Ring

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

ATB that looks painful. Is it worth taking an antihystamine?

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

Ok, ignore what I just said. I've just seen the picture, I think you might need that cutting off I'm afraid ☹️

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was where I was going. I did this once with a stuck ring. However, you need to be able to thread the floss under the ring in the first place.

ATB, is that swelling normal for you? Or is it unusual?

The best lubricant is a detergent rather than an oil. Do you have any washing up liquid around?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Eeek! Poor ATB!

I think you're going to have to head to hospital, I'm afraid Smiley sad

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

Get an ice pack on it and leave it there for quite some time until the swelling goes down. Then put loads of washing up liquid all over it for lubrication to get it off. I work with a jeweler who says washing up liquid is the best thing to use on stuck jewelry. You might want to think bout having the ring made a size or so bigger in the long run. I thought my ring was too big when I got it (on the coldest day of the year) but my fingers really swell in the heat so at this time of year I am really glad for the extra wiggle room.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Ouchie! That looks sore. I would do as OB suggests and leave it for a while. After which I think soak it in ice water for as long as you can, and then oil.

ETA: I type far too slowly. Seems that the majority say fairy liquid over oil, so I would go with that.

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

My only concern about the washing liquid is it's potential to cause the eczema to flare up more?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

It actually seems worse than that IRL - but it's maybe because I'm freaking out. I need to stop messing with it as I know it's making it worse ?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Sorry never saw that, yes Footlong slight swelling is common, which is why I didn't bother when I had to pop the ring on the other hand. My original left hand ring finger is now totally fine!

TBH I think it's past the lubricant or dental floss stage. I've got an ice pack on it. Was hoping to stick it out until two until I finish then go hospital but may have to go now. Tears and snotters....

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Jeeeez ATB!!! Get thee to a hosp sharpish!

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Hope you are ok ATB.

If it makes you feel any better I decided to have another go at mine after this thread and made it agony so I've just got back from having mine cut off. You don't have to go to the hospital, I went to the jewellers.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Hello from A&E... I tried everything while my colleagues googled for more ideas. It was pretty much in ice for four hours with no reduction in size and is solid and painful. It's so annoying, I pop it on the other hand occasionally with no probs?? I'm really hoping they can slice my finger and drain some fluid or something, don't want my ring cut.

Oh no OB- I didn't think you meant yours were that bad, thought it was a wee bit heat and pg related! Can they be repaired? I went to jewellers on way here they said they aren't allowed to cut them off due to H&S?? The ladies were very nice but basically told me my ring will be ruined because of the tension set diamonds- waaaaaaaaaa Smiley sad

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Oh no ATB :-(

I hope they can sort you out soon

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

Good luck - I hope that you're not waiting too long and that they can save your ring!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Hope you're sorted! What did they do?

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

ATB and OB, so sorry to hear this. ATB you said it may affect your diamond setting. OB is yours ok to be fixed?

Im paranoid about mine being stuck. I've taken off my ER already, but kept band on. God knows why as the band has way more value (to me) as it was my late grandmothers so is irreplaceable. Will take that off now too JIC. Luckily I have a sapphire ring my hubby bought years ago that is a bit too big normally, so at least I won't look like I am having a *** child again (although I was engaged when I got knocked up first time).

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

What's tension set mean? She told me they'd have no problem putting mine back together, if there was any chance they couldn't I wouldn't have done it!! Mines a solitaire set in 4 claws I think? I hope it will be ok Smiley sad

I've not been able to get them off for months. I stopped wearing them for a while because it was so bad but H was mardy about it so I forced them back on. They've been hurting for weeks but I'd just been ignoring it. As soon as I tried I knew there was no way they would be coming off intact. I tried everything. Even the floss.

I'm really worrying now, I'll be devastated if my rings are ruined Smiley sad

Hope you are ok ATB and still have your ring and finger intact x

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I bet a reputable jeweller will be able to repair them, try not to worry. Although it'd possibly be best to wait until after the heat and maybe the pregnancy so that you know what size you need them altered to.

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    FelixFelicis ·
    • Hide content

Hope you managed to get it cut off with little damage.

OB tension set is when there are no real claws holding the diamond in place, it's held by the tension of the metal holding it there. Mines is tension set too

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Eee ATB and OB just caught up with this! You poor ladies.

ATB hope you have managed to get your ring off and I am sure they will mend just find OB.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics