Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2018

How to have an open bar in a pub?

SoontobeMrsS, 10 of March of 2016 at 09:18 Posted on Planning 1 22

Is there any way of providing an open bar but preventing guests from ordering bottles of Bolly with cognac chasers? My friends and family are decent people but a lot of them have much more money than we do and probably wouldn't think twice about it.

My inlaws have offered to cover the open bar, but if we accept I don't want them facing a ridiculous bill at the end of the night. They are going to buy 24 bottles of champers to start which should give everyone 1-2 toast drinks, then realistically we'd only like our family to foot the bill for decent wine and beer. If someone wants a £60 bottle of something we'd rather they pay for it themselves.

I'm worried if we put £x behind the bar then people will order expensive drinks and it will run out. We'd rather sort of limit price per unit and have an open bar all through the night.

Is there a non-rude and simple way of doing it? I want to know what I'm looking to do before I chat to some venues this weekend.

TIA!

22 replies

Latest activity by SoontobeMrsS, 14 of March of 2016 at 10:16
  • F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

I think it's quite standard for pubs to provide basic drinks packages, where they will not charge the guest for beer/wine/anything else you specify, but if they order something else they tell them that they will have to pay for it themselves. This way you don't need to say anything to the guests yourselves, and those people who only want to order regular drinks (probably most) will never even know about the policy.

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Thanks futureMrsM

I'm glad to hear that. I'm worried about going into these places not knowing anything and being taken for a ride Smiley winking

I was also thinking of asking if they'll knock up and price a 'wedding cocktail'. Or is that super cheesy?

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

My friends did a token system where they sent out tickets with their invites that if you brought your invite and tickets you could uses them to get 2 free drinks at the bar

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Could you make up and nice sign that says something along the lines of "Open Bar - House Wine, Beer, Larger, Available" or something to that effect so people will know anything else is extra? You could tart it up a bit but I'm not very creative haha!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Oh, that's a good idea. Maybe a chalkboard (I'm sure I could persuade the pub to do it!) saying (for example)

Cloudy Bay Sauvingnon Blanc

Turning Heads Pinot Noir

Rebellion IPA

...courtesy of the bride and groom and their families.

?

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We see lots of this so it's quite an easy for the venue. A little sign on the bar can say something like.....

"It's an open bar but wine / beer / soft drinks only ".

Then if someone wants a bottle of Krug they can pay for it themselves!

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

We went to an evening do where they had put x behind the bar and on the bar there was a price list of sorts. I can't remember the wording, but the rule was medium glasses of wine, draught beer, soft drinks (excluding red bull) and spirits were only singles (again excluding shots), but no one had a problem with this, and no one took the p.

After reading some other replies I think the chalkboard with the complimentary drinks list, is a really nice idea, and to save yourself a mild headache, just a small note at the bottom saying that all other drinks are subject to the pub's prices. That way if they think £4.50 is a lot of for a large glass of non-complimentary wine, not even your fault Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's reassuring. To be honest I find the whole idea of 1/2 bottle of "house" wine per person and 1 small glass of "sparkling wine" to toast quite icky, which is one of the reasons we are avoiding all of the package weddings so we can give people a proper feeding and watering but at the same time we don't want a nasty shock the next day!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I've also seen signs on the likes of pinterest that say something along the lines of 'no doubles, bubbles or shots.'

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I think the best way is to have a drinks menu at the bar about what is included in the open bar.

We had an open bar and didn't restrict what people could order. We just asked to be told when the bar tab reached X and we would authorise another couple of thousands of dollars. We didn't have anybody take the p!ss.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I think the pub will happily sort this out for you, and it's also nice that guests can choose to pay for other items if they prefer. I went to a wedding with an open bar once but the choices were red, white or beer. I'd have happily paid for something different as I'm more of a bubbles/rosé/cocktail girl!

With regards to cocktails, I think it's a great idea - our bar will be knocking up a few custom cocktails for us. I think it makes an event memorable.

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it might be nice to get them to do a fruity prosecco cocktail, which costs the equiv. of a decent glass of wine, so drinkers like you have a nice choice.

We're having 60 guests and in laws have discussed putting £3k behind the bar. Then if we run out it'll be up to us whether we decide to put more in. We were thinking of putting on invitations:

"We have everything we need, but we know you're all thirsty, so please do bring cash in case the tab runs out"

Is that too blunt?

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't put anything in the invitation.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

We're planning on having a sign that says "Open Bar, compliments of the bride and groom", then we will have a menu next to it of what's offered. We are having a bar caterer bring the bar to the venue so while it will be a full bar, they will only be bringing specific beers and wines with them.

One way to do the custom cocktail is to choose a standard cocktail you like and then make up a cute name for it and list the ingredients underneath. That way you're not asking the venue to "create" a cocktail for you from scratch (some will charge for this) but you are still putting a personal twist on it. I've seen one that is "Blushing Bride" and I think it was prosecco. Or you could have signs that say"Bride recommends" and "Groom recommends" and list your favourite drinks.

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fab idea, thanks!

Ash...wouldn't you? I just wouldn't want anyone to be stuck without cash. The only two weddings I've been to have been open bar though forums etc seem to suggest this isn't the norm I suspect it might be for the people we invite.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't mention the bar at all in the invitation. Most people will bring money/cards and the open bar is then a nice surprise/bonus.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it's somewhat crass to mention cash in invitations. Also, who leaves home without their wallet? I feel it's slightly redundant. Plus, with your budget, it's pretty healthy per head.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, I'd never go to a wedding without enough cash to keep myself watered for the night. I'm conscious that a lot of reception venues I've been to didn't have a cash point close by. Then it's a bonus if it turns out to be an open bar.

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Ok I won't mention it. Is it crass to mention gifts at all? We really don't need anything (and I frankly find asking for money rude, even if a silly poem is involved) and don't want to be given random household things/knick nacks we won't use. In fact I suppose I was hoping that the 'bring something incase we run out' was a good way to decline gifts, even though we probably won't run out if it's a wine/beer only tab.

Should I put "your presence is our present" or just leave it and if anyone asks what we want (we've already been asked this but just evaded the question) politely decline?

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

We've left it out of ours. If anyone asks us or our parents we're going to say cash, but I didn't want to put it down in print.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My approach to this is always to ask yourself "If I was a guest at a wedding and the couple didn't specify what they wanted, would I just show up empty handed?". Probably not, right? Unless your friends and family are completely socially tone deaf (which I doubt) they will bring a gift. Most people will opt for cash if you don't create a list. And if your grandmother happens to get you a toaster you don't need? Just return it. Although if you do have a few items around your home you'd like to upgrade, or there are things you could never justify buying yourself but have always wanted, you might want to create a small gift list, if only to make it easier for older relatives who are not comfortable giving cash. You don't have to put that on the invitations. Just have your parents or wedding party point guests towards it when they ask.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Could you maybe come to an agreement with venue for drinks in advance? So they could put standard drinks at a standard price rather than each drink having a different price? Don't know if that's possible. I didn't provide more than a welcome drink at my wedding I was too tight!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm a bit of an awkward turtle in that we are minimalists and hate 'stuff' (we actually don't own a toaster!). There's absolutely nothing that we want really apart from a wood burner being installed and a new kitchen, but we are budgeting for that ourselves and wouldn't dream of asking for money.

I think if people ask we'll just say they can donate to a charity of their choice instead (after the argument in a previous thread I'd feel hesitant choosing a charity I'd like to support!) Then if they do turn up with someone anyway I won't feel too guilty when I pop it on Freecycle!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics