Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

fluffymalone
Beginner May 2011

How to include step daughter

fluffymalone, 15 July, 2010 at 12:00 Posted on Planning 0 16

Could really do with some advice and know you wonderful girls will help.

I would like to include my beautiful step daughter to be in the ceremony, she will be ten (going on 19!!), she is really looking forward to the wedding (apart from ex sticking her nose in but that is another story!)

I was thinking of asking to recite a reading but i wanted to do something to welcome her to my family too, although she already is i want to mark the occasion in someway.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

16 replies

Latest activity by maryg111, 15 July, 2010 at 22:41
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Presenting her with a little something during the speeches, in front of everyone and adding a bit about welcoming her to your side of the family might be one way to do it, as well as the reading...

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

It might just be putting her onto the top table? Making her feel included and like she knows everyone?

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    meggles24 ·
    • Hide content

Oooo I know i Know!!!

A really cute thing i saw on tv..

During the giving and receiving of rings, the step Mum asked the step daughter to come to the front.

She then said some vows to the daughter as she gave her a necklace.... along the lines of

" I give you this necklace as a sign of my love for you, I promise to give you a happy home and take you on as my own, I will always be there for you and be a friend for you as well as a mother" And then tied it around her neck.

The daughter didnt have to say anything and just hugged her!

It made me cry!

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my god! I'm actually sat at my desk in tears, that's so sweet!

• Polkadots_and_Pincurls
    Beginner June 2015
    Polkadots_and_Pincurls ·
    • Hide content

'Oooh I know I know!' Made me giggle, lol

• M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsmiller2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I was going to suggest Meggles, it was on Four Weddings US, it was lovely wasn't it? My step-daughter is being one of my BM's and will sit on the top table with us. I would have liked her to do a reading during the ceremony however her reading isn't very good and I couldn't find any that would haev been suitable for her x

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

4 Weddings US - deffo it was really, really lovely idea

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    meggles24 ·
    • Hide content

Hehe

It makes me wish i had a step-daughter!

Do you reckon I can adopt one - I really HAVE TO have that part in my ceremony!!!!

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

My step daughter is being our FG, she won't be sitting at the top table however (she'll be sitting with her mum and her stepdad) but she will be getting presented with her gift like the other BM's.

I like the idea of a reading but she's only 5 so i think she might get a bit nervous.

xx

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

Or are you thinking something symbolic, like lighting a candle for instance or letting of a sky lantern?

• E
    Beginner August 2011
    emmamac73 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies,

How sweet trying to involve your step daughter :-)

I think the poem is lovely but personally a bit "much". First impression is that the vows are about you and H2B? Will this take away from that? Or it might compliment it nicely I suppose. Having not seen the TV it's hard to tell.....Also, as a step-daughter myself I wouldn't like the bit about being there "as a mother". Forgive my bluntness but you (or anyone who chooses to use the poem) are not her mother, might her real mother be put out by this? Perhaps I am being a little unfair/dramatic but I hate it when my step-mum tries to take the place of my mum. Also, from a mother's point of view I would be hurt to hear someone else trying to be my daughter's mother.

All that said I agree with your original sentiment about welcoming her to your side of the family. I think that is lovely. It is hard as a step-daugher integrating in to a new family so it would be great to ease that. The idea of sitting her on the top table sounds good to me :-)

Hope this helps and I haven't offended anyone! Perhaps I'm dinted by experience :-}

x

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    meggles24 ·
    • Hide content

They werent the exact words she used, I was just giving an example

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a bridesmaid. She is 13

• fluffymalone
    Beginner May 2011
    fluffymalone ·
    • Hide content

meggles24:

Oooo I know i Know!!!

A really cute thing i saw on tv..

During the giving and receiving of rings, the step Mum asked the step daughter to come to the front.

She then said some vows to the daughter as she gave her a necklace.... along the lines of

" I give you this necklace as a sign of my love for you, I promise to give you a happy home and take you on as my own, I will always be there for you and be a friend for you as well as a mother" And then tied it around her neck.

The daughter didnt have to say anything and just hugged her!

Thats such a lovely idea but would need to change the mother bit as we are very close but on a different level and wouldnt want to upset her os her mum,

but it is gorgeous and i think i forgat to say in earlier post that she is also a bridesmaid.

I have a stp dad and although he is wonderful a wasnt very involved at the wedding and just want to make sure she doesnt feel pushed out.

• fluffymalone
    Beginner May 2011
    fluffymalone ·
    • Hide content

Hey emmamac7

no offence taken at all!! I was thinking the same about the mother bit, but as a raging sentilmentalist i love the rest!! ?

I was adopted by my step dad at around the same age so i know the importance of keeping her involved but not over stepping the mark.

Also she is already part of my family, I have young nieces and they all get on famously.

Just wanted her to feel that little bit more special on the day and have welcomed yours and the ladies reponses.

Thank you xxx

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

I saw this too it was on Four Weddings US. It was really lovely and ever since seeing it I have been trying to find a way to do something similar for my fh and my son. Problem is my son will be coming upto 3 and won't understand but I think it would be something that my fh would love to do - after all it isn't just a promise to me he is making, it is a promise to our family x

• maryg111
    Beginner May 2011
    maryg111 ·
    • Hide content

Ah, i am also gaining a step-daughter who is 10 going on 19, and a step son who is 13 - what a lovely idea with acknowledging them in the service - they are fully involved in the whole wedding and are sharing the role of best man- connor is H2Bs right hand man in the church but doesn't want to do a speech, so Angel is going to do a speech (she is also bridesmaid) - her and H2B have something up their sleeve for the speech but won't tell me!!

but i love the idea of acknowledging them in the ceremony - i know it is all about getting married, but they come as part of the package and you are not just marrying H2B but making a commitment to his children too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics