Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pinkle86
Beginner September 2012

How to make the groom stand out??

pinkle86, 8 July, 2012 at 20:26 Posted on Planning 0 11

Groom is in the 'trying on suits stage' and I was going to get him and best man coral ties. We are getting married abroad in a small ceremony and there won't be any ushers. He asked me last night how he would stand out from his best man if they have the same suits and tie ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Currently the plan is for beige linen suits, brown suede flip-flop. Bridesmaids are in coral dresses and my dress is Alfred Angelo 2180JC 'Diamond White'.

Current options are;

• Introduce another colour
  • Different colour ties
  • Different button holes (will this be enough?)

11 replies

Latest activity by irrelephant, 13 July, 2012 at 09:13
  • Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

In your situation with the style of suits etc. I think that different button hole will be enough- I think it will all look really good actually (love your dress- just googled).

The men at our wedding are wearing traditional 3 piece suits so it's a bit different, they are all wearing the same suit and waistcoats but my OH is having a different cravat and a different buttonhole.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Well firstly, the simple fact of being the groom should stand him out ?

But aside from that, a slightly different buttonhole, or a different colour tie would also work.

Ours are all having same suit, same blue coloured waistcoat and then my OH will have a ivory cravat whereas the others will have blue cravat to match the waistcoat.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

WSS - button hole would be enough, we are also doing the same as Tracey 86. Same suits and waistcoats and Oh is wearing cravat to match bridesmaids others are in silver.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Well, we have 2 best men, 2 dads and 2 ushers all in the same suit as OH. They will all be wearing exactly the same, only difference will be that OH will have a more ornate buttonhole (and the fact that he is the groom and will be the one marrying me hehe)

• pinkle86
    Beginner September 2012
    pinkle86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all...my groom needs to understand he is not the bride haha. Think I will go with different button holes ?

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Mine is going with a cravat and pocket hanky, the other men will have regular ties in the same colour and no hanky.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi

My daughter chose ivory cravat for the groom to match the waistcoats.The ushers had cobalt blue, as did the best man, to match the bridesmaids

Hope that helps

Lynne

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

He'll be the one putting the ring on your finger ?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I doubt many people will get confused. I've been to a myriad of weddings where all of the men dress the same- I've always managed to suss which one was the groom. I am abnormally clever though.

If it's that much of an issue th en why have the same suits?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

This is how I've worked mine as I wanted my OH to stand out, even though everyone will know who he is.

2 Groomsmen will have wrapping around button hole, cravat and possibly pocket hanky thing (or do you leave this out if you have a button hole??) made from the same material (and same colour) as the bridesmaids dresses.

As I have sparkly silvery bits on my dress my OH will have these things in silver.

Bridesmaids bouquets and groomsmen button holes will be white lilies.

My bouquet and OH button hole will be stargazer lilies with the pink inside.

This way the BMs and groomsmen will match and me and OH will match.

Hope this helps x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I would go with different button holes.

For us D and the best man are in matching tails suits with rose pink cravats. D's button hole is an ivory rose with lavender and stephanotis which is similar to my bouquet. The best man's button hole is a simple ivory rose to match the ushers.

The ushers and our Dads are in normal black or grey suits and are wearing a green tie to match the bridesmaids. They all have an ivory rose button hole as well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics