Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2009

How to politely say no children invited??

MrsHilson2B, 11 of February of 2009 at 13:00 Posted on Planning 0 10

Help! We are only having 5 children at our wedding, one of which is my flower girl, 3 are my 2nd cousins who I was pretty much big sister to when they were growing up (now aged between (8 and 13), and the other is my H2B 2nd cousin who will be 14. I need to find the right words to say that other children are not invited. I know our friends have no issue with their children not coming and are looking forward to a night off, however my H2B's family might be a bit more tricky! Any ideas????

10 replies

Latest activity by MrsHilson2B, 12 of February of 2009 at 15:16
  • claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

We had just family kids. On the invitations to non-family, we just put the parents names. We had one query from someone asking if their kid was invited, we said we couldnt due to money. They were fine with it, no one else asked

• BonnieLass
    BonnieLass ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I have the same type of problem, there are certain children I want there & others that I don't (more due to numbers than anything else). Luckily, most of the children we don't want there are children of friends - however I'm not keen on asking my cousins children along - simply because I don't know them. To be honest - I'm passed caring what anyone thinks - the invites will go out to who we want & anyone who questions it will get told that we are limited for numbers. There isn't really alot to argue with there - you either can fit them in or you can't!?

HTH!

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

Space or money restrictions should be ok, as long as you are not getting married in a mansion, where the space restrictions argument might not work as well...

i would just put the parent's names on the invite, and then deal with the matter directly and/or honestly if you are asked. i wouldn't put anything like 'we are hoping you will enjoy the night away from your kids!' on the invite as this is a bit presumptious IMO. saying all this, you might have to be prepared for people to decline the invitation if their kids aren't invited.

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content

We are having children of those invited to the day. Personally I wouldn't invite some children and not others as I think that could be awkward but we are luckily not restricted on numbers.

If you are perhaps you could put a note on the info sheet something like "unforutantely due to restrictions on numbers we are only able to children of close family"

• hay
    Beginner July 2007
    hay ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't highlight it, just put the names of those invited onto the invitations.

• chicken82
    Beginner May 2009
    chicken82 ·
    • Hide content

I agree, just put the names of those invited on the invitation. Deal with it as and when it comes up.

We are having kids, but mainly because we have kids so didnt feel we could refuse them. Its not many though - our nephew (pageboy) a 10 year old and a 3 year old. 3 more were invited but they arnt coming.

We are inviting lots of parents and their kids on the evening! The more the merrier! ...as long as they dont touch my dress lol!

• penguin1977
    Beginner
    penguin1977 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here - no big deal!

• R
    Beginner August 2009
    Royalty ·
    • Hide content

We just aren't putting the kids' names on the invites.

• I
    Beginner July 2010
    IrishBride ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I was thinking the same thing, am inviting my younger cousins - but friends who have children are a no - go area, think my numbers to the day would go up to about 220 if i did that!!!!!! so i think what has been said with just putting names on the invites is fine, and then deal with it honestly when they ring i.e. money / venue not big enough

• M
    Beginner
    MayDay ·
    • Hide content

Hi - we put on our invites:

'In the interests of keeping numbers down, we are unable to invite children to our wedding apart from our bridesmaids. We do hope that those of you with children will be able to arrange sitters and still join us for our special day.'

I think we wanted to be upfront about it to avoid confusion...I know some of H2Bs family would have brough kids even if they weren't names on the invites!!

• M
    Beginner May 2009
    MrsHilson2B ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for some great tips!!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics