Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charliebob
Beginner May 2016

How to style a village hall at a reasonable price?

Charliebob, 5 of January of 2015 at 09:24 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi there so my FI and I are getting married in a barn type village hall, we wanted something a bit like this:

I sent this to a decoration company in west sussex and they said it would cost £1500!!!!

Does anyone know where to get these sort of draping, wall hangings, chandeliers or DIY backdrops anywhere else or even some ideas we can do ourselves?

This is the hall when empty..

Many thanks

5 replies

Latest activity by Charliebob, 5 of January of 2015 at 19:48
  • S
    Beginner December 2016
    sarah121 ·
    • Hide content

I can see why you want all the draping its beautiful. I asked for a quote for our venue for draping of the walls etc it was a similar amount. I've not gone any further yet, not sure whether it would be possible DIY, I look forward to any suggestions Smiley smile xxx

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I'm getting married in East Sussex with a barn style village hall too. We have decided to do the decor all ourselves.

i have brought my own fairy lights and tulle to decorate. (Ebay, Amazon and groupon) cost a lot less then getting someone in.

And I have found a cheat way of doing a chandelier type thing.

i will send some pictures over.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think it's quite nice empty. That twinkle backdrop really improves the stage area though.

If you can't afford the whole package how about just the backdrop?

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

these are made from hoola hoops there are a lot of tutorials out there for this. Gives a personal touch too.

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    Sparty ·
    • Hide content

How about getting a quote for the backdrop as suggested above - and maybe the chair covers - and then DIYing the rest to save some cash? For example you may not need the wall draping. The backdrop and ceiling drapes would be enough in such a light and airy room in my opinion. I would ask for a price for that as you will then see if it is worth your while to DIY some or to just go with the quote to save hassle. Also definitely shop around - there will be others in your area who can offer similar and the industry is competitive so get at least 3 quotes before you book anything.

I think a lot of our décor for the UK reception (getting married abroad) will be DIY so I was thinking of simple centre pieces for the tables with old fashioned milk bottles to hold a few stems of flowers (a rose and some baby's-breath) and then a few recycled baby food jars with tea lights in (I am going to glitter them up a bit first). Then I will get some sort of glittery confetti type stuff for a bit of a blingy sprinkle around it.

But I would also like some fairy lights - I think your picture above looks beautiful. I am unsure of the practicalities of doing fairy lights with wires etc. Maybe you can get hold of battery operated ones instead though to drape yourself as your pic above?

• Charliebob
    Beginner May 2016
    Charliebob ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! I've been looking around and the backdrop seems reasonable at £150-200 to hire.

Perhaps going to leave the wall draping but did manage to find some nice material on Ikea of all places if we did want to do it!

Deffo want ceiling draping just need to find some material that can do it ourselves.

LOVE those chandelier options jesiekab4u, great idea.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics