Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

beccak
Beginner September 2014

*How* to throw confetti?

beccak, 17 of August of 2014 at 21:39 Posted on Planning 0 10

OK so this isn't about when to throw the confetti - we will be doing an organised confetti shot after a few formal photos after the ceremony, but more how is it best thrown? Do people tip it out of cones into their hands and then chuck it up? Or hold onto the cone and try and thrust it up and out of the cone? Throw it as high as possible or aim for B&G's heads? I only have 22 guests so to get a good shot I think I'm going to need to give some direction (or the TOG) as it can't be done twice unless someone scrapes up all the petals off the floor!

In case it makes a difference, I have small dried petals and they are in organza drawstring cones (which I will be giving to each of the female guests, for them to take most of and give a small amount to their husbands/partners if they want. I'm pretty sure it won't come out of the organza if thrown, so needs to be emptied into the hands first, but other people may have paper cones so thought I'd ask anyway...

10 replies

Latest activity by beccak, 19 of August of 2014 at 14:46
  • DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Bit of both but people will probably figure out that it won't come out of that kind of bag easily so will tip it into their hands. I recommend a lot of it for a good confetti shot!

• M
    Making-Things-Happen ·
    • Hide content

I think people will just do what they think is best! At my friend's wedding, we tipped it into our hands and threw it

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

The key thing for the tog is to get a good shot whilst balancing the fact that any wind will mean that some confetti may never reach the couple......so offsetting the shape of the lobbers is essential. I usually ask people to hold some back rather than throw the lot to find it doesn't come out right or misses the couple.....it gives them a second chance.....As a personal preference, I like to use a slow shutter speed for this to get movement in the confetti.

Peter

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I always think it's best to pour into the hands prior to throwing.

With cones, people tend to either use a jab movement, (like they are having a sword fight) OR fling it like they're ringing a bell. Not necessarily a problem with either, but it tends to encourage funny face pulling moreso than just lobbing with the hands for some reason ?

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

Hahaha, thanks guys - I was hoping for some input from the resident togs! Sounds like I should definitely encourage tipping into hands (which I think people would do anyway). I cannot believe I'm spending time contemplating this kind of minutiae - 2.5 weeks then I can let my brain get back to normal!!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

You throw it in handfuls. Those tiny petals you've described are not particularly good as confetti because the wind doesn't catch them. Larger petals, eg roses work better.

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

Oh no! I researched petal type and various sources online said to avoid the bigger petals as they look like 'blobs' on photos and as they're heavier they fall quicker, whereas the smaller ones are light and float around more. Oh well, I'm sure we'll get something of a photo.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

It's a photographers challenge every week! All I can say is that my observation is that larger petals tend to fall more slowly. At yesterday's wedding someone had a box of the little petal confetti and it just seemed to fall to the floor.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

This made me chuckle. Chill out, it's not something to get worried about.

If it's in organza bags, nobody will try and chuck it direct from the bag, it's just impractical.

If it was in a solid paper cone, yes some would try that, so you could ask the photographer to give directions not to. I've seen a few odd photos where guests try and sprinkle direct from cones and it doesn't look quite right, as they try and lean in and shake it over the heads. Chucking from the hand works well as it goes up in the air and arms don't get in the way.

Re: types of petal - I spent ages researching this, and it was completely silly to worry about in retrospect. I had a mix of small and large petals in the end, and our photos were great. I also noticed on the photos that at least 2 people must have brought their own tissue paper confetti based on some coming at us from both sides of the parade. So it's not like you're entirely in control of the whole thing anyway!!!

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

Guests usually share their box anyway so most people will have some in their hands. The key thing I always warn people is to throw it upwards towards them, not like I've had a couple of times where someone scrunches their hand up and launches it at the couple with an overarm throw like a cricketball! The latter usually lands them square in the face and whilst making a very funny photo, isn't the sort of thing the couple are usually looking for!

There's always one joker too who tries to shove the entire box down the back of the groom's shirt!

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Martin, that's really useful ?

Claire - I know. Since when did I become the bride-who-obsesses-about-every-tiny-detail? When we first got engaged I told my parents we weren't having table decorations or other 'pointless wedding stuff' and queried whether we needed to put chairs out for the ceremony as it would be pretty short. I now have table decorations and have spent hours making decorations, including some to line the aisle that will be between the carefully chosen white chairs.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics