Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

EmbelinaShank
Beginner August 2016

How to weather proof an open-sided barn for reception...

EmbelinaShank, 13 of June of 2015 at 20:23 Posted on Planning 0 9

Evening all,

We were pretty set on a wedding at the Boathouse at Ormesby by Broad. However, costs were running up and we realised that that wasn't the sort of wedding we wanted. It's an amazing place and I'd recommend it for people to look at as it is stunning and relatively probably a good cost.

However, in our heart of hearts, what we really want is a more vintagey/DIY-style wedding.

So... My grandparents have this 'open' barn style building thing. I love the idea of a barn style reception, and to hold it in a family-owned building would give us so many more options than some venues i.e. no corkage, decorations exactly how we want, lots of flexibility.

The only problem is, it's used to park vehicles in, so it's got one long side completely open. And I'm looking into options for how we can weather proof that side so that if it rains, or is possibly really cold or something (in August unlikely, but we are in England!) we can shelter the guests and still have it there. Because if it's raining on the morning of the wedding, at that point it is way too late to get a venue for that evening, understandably.

So I thought I'd see if anyone on here has/has had a similar problem and what you did/whether there were any temporary barn side coverings (there's probably a much better name for them though).

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance all

9 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 19 of December of 2015 at 19:58
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Could you get a long, thin marquee that fits onto the open part of the barn? Say 3m deep, but long enough to go the length of the barn. This area could be partially closed to the barn and used to store coats/bags or open the whole length to serve food from, have the bar, make a quieter area with seating?

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

You can line a barn or building in the same way that marquee can be put together. If you google barn marquee lining you will see loads of images and they look really good x

• EmbelinaShank
    Beginner August 2016
    EmbelinaShank ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah that's a good idea, extra space and also shelter for if it is rainy or a bit cold. I'm sure we could get one that's high enough. Thanks a lot Smiley smile

• EmbelinaShank
    Beginner August 2016
    EmbelinaShank ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh what a great idea! There's one I saw that basically look like they've cling-filmed the open side of the barn with PVC. Have asked for a quote. I'll also look into marquee linings. Thanks a lot!

• EmbelinaShank
    Beginner August 2016
    EmbelinaShank ·
    • Hide content

For anyone else reading this, here is the company I've asked for a quote from: http://www.weatherillbrothers.co.uk/window-wallings-for-marquees

Will update here when I have the quote back.

• H
    Beginner August 2016
    HappyIvoryFlowers456 ·
    • Hide content

Hello! I just wondered whether you managed to find a solution to an open sided barn? I also have the same issue! Many thanks!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Sounds wonderful. See what the quotes are. If it ends up being expensive using tarpoline across the open side can de disguised with plants etc.

• H
    Beginner August 2016
    HappyIvoryFlowers456 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh yes! I'd not thought of that! Although I suppose then we'd lose the light. Definitely something to bear in mind, thank you!

• H
    Beginner August 2016
    HappyIvoryFlowers456 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh yes! I'd not thought of that! Although I suppose then we'd lose the light. Definitely something to bear in mind, thank you!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Not if it was clear. And you could have lots of fairy lights if you can run power.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics