Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Olivia
Beginner May 2024 Staffordshire

How well do my groomsmen/bridal party ties need to match my bridesmaid dresses?

Olivia, 15 of April of 2024 at 12:13 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 6
I got the multiway bridesmaid dresses from Next last year in Forest Green thinking ties wouldn't be an issue to find. Next have none that match the exact shade (and they don't even sell the dresses in that colour any more) I've tried a few from TiesPlanet, Amazon, Shein and looked in local suit shops. The closest I can get is this one but every time I look at it I just worry that in pictures it's going to show up looking so obviously different when everyone's stood next to each other! And in direct sunlight/flash photos they look different but in a bit darker lighting they look really good.

If anyone has thoughts or pictures of weddings where you can see the tie and dresses not matching exactly but it still looking good please send then my way! 💜How well do my groomsmen/bridal party ties need to match my bridesmaid dresses? 1
How well do my groomsmen/bridal party ties need to match my bridesmaid dresses? 2

6 replies

Latest activity by Olivia, 18 of April of 2024 at 10:54
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

The time of year may be a factor but I see its May so that will not have an effect here. I am surprised that you are struggling to find the right shade but it is a very common issue and people usually go with as near as they can get and on the day and on the photos no one really notices.

Are the men in waistcoats so there will not be much tie showing ?.

As the tie is darker you may be better off going the other way so the tie is lighter if you can not find a good match because there is a lot of the green dress and a slither of green tie which will also be on a white background (shirt ) possibly making it look darker.

But even if you find an exact match in a flat light the tie material may look different in different light. And then you go to all that trouble and your photographer uses a burnt out washed out "look" or a dark orange look. Popular right now is the desaturated green look. So if your photographer uses any of these and you are wasting your time with trying to colour match I'm afraid.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think the colour difference matters at all - the two shades don't look weird even right next to each other, and bearing in mind they are going to be worn by different people (and the ties aren't that large) it will matter even less. Yes, people may notice that the ties and dresses aren't the exact same fabric, but they probably wont' be expecting them to be anyway.

• Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes they are wearing waistcoats. This made me feel a lot better about not getting an exact match especially coming from a photographer! Thank you so much
  • Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much! This honestly makes me feel so much better! I called our venue as well and they said once everyone is there and fully dressed up etc it doesn't look that bad and all comes together with the buttonholes on too. Thank you!
  • S
    Beginner September 2024 Hampshire
    Sara ·
    • Hide content

Hi Olivia, if you did want to go down the colour matching still (although great advice from the last few responses) have a look at a company called Swagger and Swoon, they have a great colour matching service plus you can order samples for ties/pocket squares etc. If you speak to them first and let them know the colour or your struggles they are really accommodating and may send other suggested colours too. x

• Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much! I will have a look into them and see what we can find Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics