Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner September 2013

How/where to buy a veil

Caraboo, 28 May, 2012 at 15:26 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hullo!

I'm new here, so be gentle! I have the most amazing Pronovias dress for my big day. I can't believe I already bought it, what with there being 16 months to go, but I found a pristine condition ex-display model at a fantastic price so just had to have it! It needs some slight adjustment to make it a few sizes smaller, but I couldn't be happier. Anyhow, my next step is to find a veil to go with it. When I tried on the dress in the Pronovias shop, I also tried a cathedral-length veil with a lacy edge which looked amazing. I didn't buy it because (a) it was over five hundred quid (eeeek!) and (b) the colour didn't match the dress.

Now I find myself a little bemused as to where to go to buy a veil. When I search online, all i get are online stores, but I really want to go somewhere where I can try different veils on and choose one from a selection. However, most bridal shops I've been to only seem to have a few to choose from, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Also, I'd preferably be trying it on with my wedding dress (which I won't have bought from said shop) so do you think there would be an issue with this?

I'm based abroad, but visit the UK regularly to see friends and family all around England and Wales, so it's not too much bother to get to most places.

Thanks for any suggestions!

5 replies

Latest activity by Caraboo, 1 June, 2012 at 08:20
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I think the only place you are going to find them to try on are bridal shops and wedding fairs. They aren't really an everyday item you might stumble across in Tescos!

The main things you need to decide on are colour (but this is to match your dress presumably so half decided for you - make sure you use fabric samples to colour match), length (you've chosen cathedral), centre-gather or full-gather, then you detailing i.e. scattered crystals, plain and simple or like you mentioned a lace edge.

I got my plain, fingertip veil from The Weddng Veil shop and am super happy with it. It ws surprisingly hard to find completely plain veils in a full-gather!

Many other Hitchers used a lady called Pink Margaret on ebay.

Once you know what you want, why not have a look or contact either of the above for pictures of previous work that sounds similar to what you're after. They will send you colour swatchs to match to yor dress before the veil is made too.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I've seen so many brides order from Pink Margaret on ebay and never heard a bad review. If you want to try them on, you're stuck with bridal shops, or maybe wedding fairs. You might get a slightly better price at a fare, but nowhere near what you'll get ordering online. It's the price you pay, really.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I have sent Pink Margaret an email with some pictures of what I'm after. Hopefully she'll get back to me soon. Otherwise, I guess I need to trawl some bridal shops to see what veils they have and then arrange appointments to go and try them with my dress.

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Blondie28 ·
    • Hide content

I've just ordered my veil from Pink Margaret after reading good reviews on here. She's lovely!

I've gone for an ivory, 2 tier fingertip length veil with crystals scattered throughout - all for £38!

I know some girls who have paid in excess for £250 for a veil and i just couldn't justify it when i know i'll have taken it off by the time the night do starts.

• H
    hsui0303 ·
    • Hide content

Many other Hitchers used a lady called Pink Margaret on ebay.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried Pink Margaret and she seems to be a lovely lady, but unfortunately wasn't able to offer me what I wanted (she doesn't work with lace). I found the veil of my dreams on eBay, though, so I'm over the moon! Thanks everyone!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics