Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Panjita
Beginner May 2011

Humanist Ceremony vs Civil Ceremony

Panjita, 30 March, 2011 at 13:19 Posted on Planning 0 2

What is involved in a Humanist ceremony and how does it differ from a Civil Ceremony?

2 replies

Latest activity by knitting_vixen, 30 March, 2011 at 13:38
  • knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

A humanist ceremony is not legal in England, so if you are getting married in England you would also need a reg office do. From what I can gather it is a lot more about the couple and feels more personal. I didn't consider one though, I am atheist but this idea seemed too "out there" even for me. Also, I don't like the idea of having to go to the reg office as well.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I'm an Atheist too and have been following the Humanist Census campaign so thought it might appeal. Do you have to have a Humanist person hold the ceremony? We already have the registrar etc booked so I'm not sure if there would be any point in looking into this at such a late stage.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I don't know much about it because I have never been to one, but from what I can understand, as it is not legally binding, anyone can be the celebrant.

You could do the register bit first with the registrar then do the ceremony afterwards (I know someone who did this). Here's a link to the Humanist Wedding webpage: https://humanists.uk/ceremonies/non-religious-weddings/

It's up to you whether you change your plans! Do you feel that it won't be weddingy/long enough for you? I am sure you have personalised it all (music, poems) as it is anyway. Also worth mentioningm I went to a Catholic church wedding in December, they had 2 songs, readings etc but it took less than half an hour!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics