Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

missmac13
Beginner July 2013

Humanist wedding?

missmac13, 11 June, 2012 at 14:26 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi hitchers,

Has anyone had or planning to have a humanist wedding ceremony? We are trying to decide whether to have a humanist or civil ceremony I like the idea of a humanist ceremony but when I tell people (friends & family) their reaction is eh?!?

5 replies

Latest activity by missmac13, 12 June, 2012 at 12:32
  • M
    Beginner
    MAG2FMC ·
    • Hide content

We are having a humanist ceremony. Are you getting married in England or Scotland? In England they are not legally binding, just fyi in case you didn't know. I think of a humanist ceremony as a religious ceremony without all the religious bits! IMO, I think it allows you to incorporate a lot more personal bits as opposed to a civil ceremony. However, if you have staunch religious people in your family, they might be put off by a humanist ceremony, as humanist beliefs can sometimes be taken to be anti-religious.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Humanist ceremonies are beautiful. Until I covered one I didn't know either!

Here's the one I did:

http://www.chrisgilesphotography.co.uk/brighton-seafront-weddings.html

• missmac13
    Beginner July 2013
    missmac13 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both. Chris your photos are lovely it looks like a really happy ceremony! MAG2FMC we are getting married in Scotland so it will be legally binding. We will be the the last out of both sets of siblings to get married and the first to do it outwith a church. My OH is not religious one bit. I really love the idea of a humanist ceremony for the same reason (it's more personal). I think my family had never heard of it before and one even said it was for hippies. lol I guess i'll have to explain too them a bit more what it involves.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Munstermad ·
    • Hide content

I am Irish but moved to Scotland last year and getting married there next year, so humanism was new to me but the perfect option for us. We didn't want a religious ceremony and I didn't want the (potential) conveyor belt feel of a busy registry office.

Like you MissMac13 I keep getting questions and my family and friends in Ireland are absolutely baffled. The best was when I painstakingly explained it all to one friend, really focusing on the no religion bit and then he announced he had been at one. I was so excited but a bit confused when he started descibing about how it was so "hey jesus" (his words) - turned out his friend was a born again Christian so the ceremony was anything but humanist!!

• B
    Beginner
    Binding Ties ·
    • Hide content

We're from Suffolk but got married in Scotland with a humanist ceremony. It was amazing, and fantastic to be able to just pick a spot and get married there! ?

• missmac13
    Beginner July 2013
    missmac13 ·
    • Hide content

Humanist Celebrant provisional booked ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics