Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ellie
Beginner June 2022 Greater Manchester

Humanist wedding at a church?

Ellie, 28 of December of 2021 at 16:23 Posted on Planning 0 7
Hi there!

My partner and I are not religious so looking to have a humanist wedding. Near where we used to live is a ruined church. It has a functional graveyard which to my knowledge is still in use.
I understand humanist weddings are not get legally recognised in England however I'm wondering if we are likely to encounter problems with this potential venue.
The church itself has no roof, is just the stone wall left behind. The tower of the church was preserved and has functional bells. Infrequent services are held at the church for special occasions, and people can be buried in the graveyard so I assume this is still sacred land. I don't know enough about churches to know if a non-religious ceremony would be permitted.
Any help gratefully received.

7 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 29 of December of 2021 at 10:00
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like it is still very much "on the books " a it were, so I doubt you will be allowed a non religious ceremony I'm afraid.

By humanist are you referring to a registrar lead civil ceremony or do you plan to do the legal bit separately first..

• Ellie
    Ellie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're planning to do the legal bit completely seperately, so more the more the "ceremony" than the actual legally binding bit, given the laws.

Like you, I am thinking it might be a no, but I didn't know if it was a hunch or accurate. Currently trying to track down the relevant people to speak to them about the church regardless, which is why I was presently unsure.
    Apparently it's not easy to find who is responsible for church ruins 😂
    Thanks for your help!
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I see - sounds like you are "on the ball" with it all.

A lot of vicars will run 2 or 3 Churches so I would say the best bet is to contact your next nearest Church vicar as they maybe the one who also runs the part used one.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I would very much doubt that you would be able to have a humanist ceremony on church property - there is usually something along the lines of 'not contrary to the Christian faith' in the terms about what can take place and what can't.

Is there any reason you particularly want to use this church? It just seems odd to want a humanist wedding on church land! If there is a particular feature of the church that attracts you, perhaps you could find a secular venue that has a similar feature nearby?

• Ellie
    Ellie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, we suspected this might be the case but thought we'd ask.

The church ruins are in the town we first lived together. We always said they'd make a brilliant venue.
    We appreciate it was likely to have been a longshot, but it was just the place really, rather than specifically a ruined church.
    Thanks for taking time to reply though, appreciate it!
  • sirastudio
    Beginner
    sirastudio ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Ellie
    I’m a humanist wedding celebrant. If the site is deconsecrated as some old churches/chapels are / if the owners allow, then you can have a humanist wedding ceremony there. I have taken several weddings in deconsecrated chapels in North Yorkshire and have done a burial in a working church graveyard with permission from the acting vicar. Good luck!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If the church is still active, an alternative might be that, since the legal marriage is taking place elsewhere, you could have your celebration somewhere nearby and then take some photos outside the church?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics