Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B2B2023
Curious April 2023 East Central London

Husband and baby only invited to evening do

B2B2023, 15 January, 2024 at 14:13 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5

As background, one of my closest friends is getting married this summer. Its a weekday and her package only includes x number of day guests so any additional guests need to be paid for separately.

I've received two separate invites to the wedding. One addressed to myself for the whole day and the other to my husband (and soon to be born baby) for the evening. I'm unhappy about this for the following reasons:

1. My husband and I know her and her fiance well (and they both came to our wedding last year - we paid for each guest on a per head basis).

2. My baby will only be 2.5 months old on the day of the wedding. I am a first time mum so have no idea whether it's reasonable/practical for my husband to bring the baby along for the evening party only? He would drive there (will take around 2 hours in the rush hour) so again, not sure how practical that is with a very young baby.

3. I can't drive so will need to travel by train then take a taxi there as it's in the countryside.

4. It's a weekday wedding so my husband might have to take the day off work to look after the baby. He gets very limited leave as it is.

I don't know whether I should firstly ask to bring the baby along (on the basis that I will be breastfeeding and my husband will otherwise need to book a day off work). However, I'm also not sure how fun a wedding would be looking after my young baby on my own if my husband isn't there? As such as I would like to decline the invite out of principle, I don't want to miss one of my friends get married.

Any advice?

5 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 17 January, 2024 at 18:14
  • S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    You should speak to your friend, it is unreasonable for her to expect you to leave your 3 month old at home until the evening. It is also unreasonable for her to not invite your husband given the situation especially as she knows him and get on well. It might be different if she didn't know your partner and it was a new relationship. If the couple can't include an extra space for your husband (because let's be honest the baby won't take up space and won't be needing a paid meal) then just let them know that you will just attend the evening. The only thing I can think of is that they were worried about the baby possibly disturbing the ceremony if he or she cries but you can reassure them. Hopefully you can resolve this!
  • F
    Beginner May 2024 Lancashire
    Future Mrs J ·
    • Hide content

I think your friend is being unacceptable. So they think it was ok for you to pay out for them both to attend your day but won’t return the favour? If the reason is number restraints and they are unwilling to pay the extra then they should have spoke to you before sending out the invites out of courtesy. I would message her to say thank you for the invites and explain the logistical issues and the fact that you’re not sure whether you’ll be breast feeding at the time of the wedding. Many of my friends breastfed and some of their babies wouldn’t take express milk from bottles so you may not even have the option to leave you baby at home with your husband as the baby will need feeding every couple of hours. It would also be a big task to have a newborn alone at the wedding so it would be good for your husband to be on hand to support you.

A similar thing happened to me last year where my fiancé’s friend invited me to the evening whilst my partner was invited to the day. We had planned to invite both him and his partner to the day of our wedding so it was a little disheartening they didn’t feel the same. My partner spoke to him to ask if there was a reason I wasn’t invited to the day and they also said numbers so it sounds like a common issue for weddings nowadays. Long story short, I ended up being invited to the day in the end so don’t feel awkward about asking. Some of their other guests may drop out so they may have room for you all. I imagine you’re not the only wedding guests in this situation and others might just opt to come the evening instead.

If they are unwilling to add your husband to the day I would respond to say you’ll all attend the evening instead due to the reasons you have mentioned. I would maybe check with your husband whether he would still like to go to the day if invited as he may feel a little awkward attending if he knew he wasn’t originally invited. He may just prefer for you all to attend the evening instead.

Good luck with it all and congratulations to you and your husband on your upcoming arrival x

• B2B2023
    B2B2023 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to explain the situation and hopefully she can extend the invite. Otherwise, I think we will both have to give it a miss as a 4 hour round journey for an evening do on a Weds with a small baby won't be feasible for us.

• B2B2023
    B2B2023 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks very much and totally agree with your point about them not being willing to pay for my husband even though we paid for hers (and she's always expected her partner to attend our other friends' weddings). However, I won't raise that point with her and instead just focus on the logistical/practical issues the separate invites brings.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I agree that you should focus on the logistical and practical issues - you can't expect wedding invitations from others just because you invited them to your wedding, since everyone's circumstances are different - your friends may simply not be able to afford to invite everyone they want. Although this does highlight why it is unwise not to invite established partners!

I would suggest thanking your friend for the invitation but explain why you are unable to accept. She may have sufficient space on the guest list to be able to add your husband, but if not, at least she will understand why you can't accept. I suspect she has never before had close contact with someone who has a newborn, or she would not have dreamed of inviting you by yourself in the first place.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics