Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner January 2017

husband wedding ring alternatives

LuxuriousOrangeCakes380, 19 of January of 2016 at 12:18 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 8

I have chosen my wedding ring but my husband doesnt really want one.

he really isnt a jewelry guy and doesnt want to wear a ring. he says it is only a recent tradition, having only started in WWII when soldiers were away from their brides, so in this sense it really isnt a tradition, although it is commonplace now.

are there any alternatives that he could get? hes quite a traditional guy.

8 replies

Latest activity by Kihec24, 9 of September of 2024 at 07:19
  • Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

It was tradition long before ww2. Rings go as far back as the Romans or ancient Egyptians and were worn on the left as they believed there was a vein that ran from the heart. What his thinking are the alternate ve rings as metal was hard to source during ww2 so they were made from 9ct gold instead of the tradition of 22. If he really doesn't want a ring tell him not to have one. If he needs on for the ceremony they get a cheap one but just don't wear it after?

• L
    Beginner January 2017
    LuxuriousOrangeCakes380 ·
    • Hide content

Oh I know it is a very old tradition, but doing some research, it appears that it is only traditional for the bride to get a ring.

men only started wearing them in the mid 20th century, so men wearing them "tradition" is less than 100 years old. before WWII it was very uncommon for men to wear them.

It seems a bit pointless to get one just for the ceremony if he wont wear it.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Seems daft but if your getting married in a church and you do the ring part will be odd without a ring lol. I don't really see what else you could get. My oh never wore jewellery though and wasn't keen on the idea of a ring but changed his mind when he tried one on

• L
    Beginner January 2017
    LuxuriousOrangeCakes380 ·
    • Hide content

Yer but as i said above, the "tradition" was only for brides to get a ring....

so it isnt anything odd, just there has been a surge of men doing it now.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

What I meant was seems odd to buy a cheap ring just for the ceremony if he wont wear it but if your vows include rings then will seem odd without one. Our vows were a bit different as it was abroad but it was all about the symbolic meaning behind the rings so without ones our vows would have seemed meaningless if you get me? It's personal choice if people wear them or not. Personally I'm not a huge tradition fan and believe you should do what you want and what is comfortable to you regardless of tradition

• H
    Beginner August 2016
    HappyGoldDiamonds451 ·
    • Hide content

I almost agree with you! Smiley smile
    Wish you luck! Smiley smile

• G
    Beginner May 2016
    Goujon ·
    • Hide content

I'm with him, I didn't want a ring - however my partner insisted so I'm having one, will just have to get used to it (I never wear any other kind of jewellery). What about a chain of some kind if he doesn't want a ring? You could even have a ring on a chain. You could even get a 'ring' tattooed on his finger!

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

My OH isn't really a jewellery person, but he wants to wear a ring. I would have totally understood if he didn't want to though. Some men get a tattoo of the wedding date on their ring finger instead, which is nice I think. Plus, he can't forget your anniversary haha!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics